What wind direction should I hunt this area on?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Johnny-6-fingers

What wind direction should I hunt this area on?

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:17 am

Back in March I scouted this swamp and found a great looking buck bed and I wanted to get some feedback on how I can set up on it. There is about a 60 foot ridge of timber that drops off into this cattail marsh. I found several nice beds (blue circles) with rubs around them along the transition of marsh and timber. Then I found an impressive neck high rub along the same transition. No bed next to the rub but there was a deer trail leading out further into the marsh. Followed the trail for about 50 yards and it led me directly to a massive bed (red circle). Unlike the beds on the transition which had the cover facing the timber (deer would be facing the marsh), this bed had a stump and a wall of cattails so that the deer could lay facing the timber. The only access to this area is from the timber. The opposite direction of the timber is just cattails as far as you can see. What wind should I hunt this spot on? Would a buck be bedded in that spot regardless of wind direction? Are there certain conditions that might make this setup more successful?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”