Maps and weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeffb90
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1492065600

Maps and weather

Unread postby Jeffb90 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 am

What apps or websites do you guys use for looking at maps such as topography and previous dates/ years and what weather apps do you guys use to look at previous dates?

Primetime

Re: Maps and weather

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:00 am

Jeffb90 wrote:What apps or websites do you guys use for looking at maps such as topography and previous dates/ years and what weather apps do you guys use to look at previous dates?

Google earth and onX for maps. Wunderground and noaa.gov for weather. I use a lot of weather bin data for work and I can get basic data from wunderground in spreadsheet format that is somewhat helpful to look at for trends. Instead of looking at a specific date you can look at highs,lows,pressure,precipitation etc for multiple days in a row easily in excel.
Jeffb90

Unread postby Jeffb90 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 am

Yeah that would help. Are you able to change the satellite view on maps? I find it easier to see an area I’ve never been in when I can actually see through the canopy.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:15 am

Jeffb90 wrote:Yeah that would help. Are you able to change the satellite view on maps? I find it easier to see an area I’ve never been in when I can actually see through the canopy.

You can change the image date in google earth. Look for one that was taken in fall/winter after leaves have fallen. I don't know how much that would help in wooded areas though. Still don't have a great view of ground level if that's what your asking. People here use the Changing date capabilities in google earth to find deer trails in something like a cattail marsh too. You can add topo as well
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 am

I believe Onx even has a weather option but the wind is constant and you can see the different measurement areas in your location
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Jeffb90

Unread postby Jeffb90 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:33 am

Primetime wrote:
Jeffb90 wrote:Yeah that would help. Are you able to change the satellite view on maps? I find it easier to see an area I’ve never been in when I can actually see through the canopy.

You can change the image date in google earth. Look for one that was taken in fall/winter after leaves have fallen. I don't know how much that would help in wooded areas though. Still don't have a great view of ground level if that's what your asking. People here use the Changing date capabilities in google earth to find deer trails in something like a cattail marsh too. You can add topo as well

I just like the changing date capabilities in order to get a better lay of the land. Im able to see creeks and such on one particular piece of property that is new to me this year. I know one runs through a part of the woods I have not scouted so it would be easier to see.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:03 am

Can you only change image dates on desktop? I can't see where on my app on my android.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:05 pm

I have onx on my phone for boots on the ground pinning but Google earth or hillmap are better for map scouting on desktop in my opinion. My onx maps never seem to update compare to the other programs and earth has the time feature.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 am

ehlusive wrote:Can you only change image dates on desktop? I can't see where on my app on my android.

I can't figure it out on the app either
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 am

bcarey2 wrote:
ehlusive wrote:Can you only change image dates on desktop? I can't see where on my app on my android.

I can't figure it out on the app either

On Google Earth it only works on desktop version.
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:52 am

OnX and Google Earth for mapping.
Weather Underground for historical weather data.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am

I use OnX, HuntStand, Windy, and Google Earth.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:36 am

Weather - Huntstand (day to day), Wunderground (Historical)

Maps - Backcountry Navigator (Scounting), Caltopo (Master), OnX, Google

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”