Spooked buck exit??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Spooked buck exit??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 am

If you have spooked a buck that is at a field edge of a woodlot in the afternoon, and he exits the field back into the woods, what is the likelihood he was probably bedded in said woodlot and also probably bedded near the edge of that woodlot?

I think odds are high.

How would you set up after having that event occur?

Who has done that? Spooked a buck, set up and killed shortly thereafter?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Spooked buck exit??

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:17 am

I never killed in that scenario. My bet is that he got inside the woods far enough to feel safe and far enough to keep an eye on you. Then went back to his bedding that offers him a good look at what’s going on in that field. Or waited you out and went back in the field to eat. Or said “forget this place” and found another, less pressured food source. Lol
#mybestguess
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm

matt1336 wrote:I never killed in that scenario. My bet is that he got inside the woods far enough to feel safe and far enough to keep an eye on you. Then went back to his bedding that offers him a good look at what’s going on in that field. Or waited you out and went back in the field to eat. Or said “forget this place” and found another, less pressured food source. Lol
#mybestguess

Yea this was a scenario that occurred a few years ago. Hardest place to hunt I’ve ever encountered.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm

In my area from what I can gather the biggest factor is time of year. Early season they don't travel far at all so chances are real high he is bedded right ontop of the field. As they rut approaches there are quite a few diff scenarios that could put him on that field that are a lot less predictable. Late season again puts them right ontop of the food.

If u r referring to early season the only luck I have had in that scenario is from a distance determine how he enters field. Usually a low corner in my case. Then set up for his entry and make sure u can slide in without him knowing. Sometimes u gotta get sneaky.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”