Sighn post rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

802bowhunter

Sighn post rubs

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

In the mountains we find big trees that bring multiple bucks to them,to,rub called sighn post rubs and there hot almost every year.
Ive never found any in swamps but all the swamps where I live are pretty small.
Curious if u guys out towards michigan or wisconson have ever run into sighn post rubs??

"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Sighn post rubs

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am

I’ve found signpost rubs in Michigan swamps since I was a kid. I’ve also monitored what I call a signpost “area” in Michigan swamps. I will get a video up for you when I have time of your requested signpost rub.

The signpost “area” with a single rub tipped me off to the buck I killed on heavy pressure Public last fall. I will get into more when I can, dang these high school kids!

Football, Pom... on and on. And they keep asking for money!!
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:23 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I’ve found signpost rubs in Michigan swamps since I was a kid. I’ve also monitored what I call a signpost “area” in Michigan swamps. I will get a video up for you when I have time of your requested signpost rub.

The signpost “area” with a single rub tipped me off to the buck I killed on heavy pressure Public last fall. I will get into more when I can, dang these high school kids!

Cool!! Wasnt sure if they were also utilized in the swamps ans low,country.
Northern new england.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:16 am

Good stuff as always. Thanks for posting the vids.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I’ve found signpost rubs in Michigan swamps since I was a kid. I’ve also monitored what I call a signpost “area” in Michigan swamps. I will get a video up for you when I have time of your requested signpost rub.

Are you using these signpost rubs more for just knowing there is a good buck in the area and not so much for hunting over? Here is one that has been hit the last 3 years by our camp (left side of pic). Even though this is a daylight pic, I seldom get daylight pics on it. Lot of bucks will "check" it out even though a lot don't rub on it. I just put a camera on it last year once I realized that it had been hit the 2 years previous. Already have a camera on it for this year also. Should hopefully get action soon.

ImageUntitled by cspot12, on Flickr
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:27 pm

The benoits and Hal blood harped on finding and hunting sighn post rubs during the rut and the benoits told me at there semimar they have seen thedominat buck in the area visit them every 3-4 days during the rut numerous times.

Ive killed 2 over them but during,fun,season.
Ive never tried bowhunting one yet.
Northern new england.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Are these sign post rubs less common in areas where young bucks are doing most of the breeding?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm

cspot wrote:

Are you using these signpost rubs more for just knowing there is a good buck in the area and not so much for hunting over? Here is one that has been hit the last 3 years by our camp (left side of pic). Even though this is a daylight pic, I seldom get daylight pics on it. Lot of bucks will "check" it out even though a lot don't rub on it. I just put a camera on it last year once I realized that it had been hit the 2 years previous. Already have a camera on it for this year also. Should hopefully get action soon.

ImageUntitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Lot's of guys report taking bucks over them and I don't doubt it. For me personally, I use them to give me an idea of age class and size of the buck. If the rub is fresh it does indeed tell me that a good buck is in the area (and hopefully he hasn't departed yet.)

Like any other buck rub I find, I relate it to buck bedding that I scouted in the offseason (Some swamps I've hunted for decades), or if I am not familiar with the area I analyze topos and aerials along with perimeter recons (In season scouting). I hunt immediately, especially during the rut. Some of these buck bedding areas are set up to monitor doe families in the area, like the buck I killed outside of his bedding area last year.

Bridge
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 pm

802bowhunter wrote:The benoits and Hal blood harped on finding and hunting sighn post rubs during the rut and the benoits told me at there semimar they have seen thedominat buck in the area visit them every 3-4 days during the rut numerous times.

Ive killed 2 over them but during,fun,season.
Ive never tried bowhunting one yet.

If they said it... believe it !!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:14 pm

stash59 wrote:Are these sign post rubs less common in areas where young bucks are doing most of the breeding?

I'm going to try not to give a confusing answer here. I've found lots of trees that multiple young bucks have rubbed, but it isn't what I call a sign post. Others may.

When I say a sign post rub, I'm talking a big and tall rub that is very obvious wasn't made by a young buck... the kind of rub you hope to find and know it when you see it.

So to summarize, you are exactly right... sign post rubs are much less common in areas where young bucks are doing most of the breeding.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm

In MN signpost rubs exist. A trail camera is a great way to get an inventory of the bucks in the area. It’s a pretty exciting thing to come across in the woods. I’ve heard that some people think it is an area where several bucks territories overlap. I’m
not sure if it’s true but it definitely is a communication device of who’s around.
Persistence is undefeated.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
stash59 wrote:Are these sign post rubs less common in areas where young bucks are doing most of the breeding?

I'm going to try not to give a confusing answer here. I've found lots of trees that multiple young bucks have rubbed, but it isn't what I call a sign post. Others may.

When I say a sign post rub, I'm talking a big and tall rub that is very obvious wasn't made by a young buck... the kind of rub you hope to find and know it when you see it.

So to summarize, you are exactly right... sign post rubs are much less common in areas where young bucks are doing most of the breeding.

So if I'm analyzing this correctly. All age classes of bucks will use/rework/walk nearby other bucks rubs. I know in the bigwoods, magic talks about sign post type rubs showing up where mature bucks territories over lap. And if I'm remembering correctly, so did the Benoits and Hal Blood mention something similar. It's usually some combination of terrain features. That forces deer travel to intersect in certain places. Thus the sign post rub.

So does this same thing cause the younger bucks to rub there also, or are their's more random? As far as when the older bucks are almost non existent. Course like you said higher rubs are the key for the mature bucks.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:

Would a rub used by the same buck year after with evidence of height growth from year to year be counted as a sign post rub or are you referring to rubs like stashed mentioned on the boundary of over lapping territory of two or more big bucks or multiple bucks of difference sizes being the sign post rub
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”