EHD in MN

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

EHD in MN

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:33 am

This is the first I have heard of EHD in MN. Note, the OP claims the DNR dropped the river 3 ft... the river that borders his property. His neighbor found dead deer as well.

E452BED4-78F9-49B4-8CB1-BAA2299B837A.png
01DAD830-99B4-43D8-B053-D62A05309E6B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: EHD in MN

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

Got it here in southern Indiana where I live. Can’t drive down the road without smelling something dead.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 am

We have a 3 county area south of Des Moines that is so bad that the one county is looking at over 50% mortality. People posting floating dead deer pics daily. One guy just reported he found over 40 dead deer in a 3 mile kayak paddle this weekend, the pics I saw were horrible. Other buddies in that area have a ridiculously low amount of deer on their trail cams.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

Man hate to hear this!
What kind of practices are in place to help stop the spread? I've heard of not transporting dead deer across state lines (I think that's right?). Just curious where I can find a solid resource to into these matters.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 am

muddy wrote:We have a 3 county area south of Des Moines that is so bad that the one county is looking at over 50% mortality. People posting floating dead deer pics daily. One guy just reported he found over 40 dead deer in a 3 mile kayak paddle this weekend, the pics I saw were horrible. Other buddies in that area have a ridiculously low amount of deer on their trail cams.

Over 50%. Yikes, that’s awful.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Wow I'd hate to see that around here. Is there a way to tell they are all dying from end? I notice he said when the dnr shows up to confirm? Just seems kinda odd a change in water levels would trigger it as a 3 ft change in river levels is fairly common around my area. I will admit I know almost nothing about ehd just wondering
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:Wow I'd hate to see that around here. Is there a way to tell they are all dying from end? I notice he said when the dnr shows up to confirm? Just seems kinda odd a change in water levels would trigger it as a 3 ft change in river levels is fairly common around my area. I will admit I know almost nothing about ehd just wondering

The change in water levels just exposes more mud for the midges that transmit the disease. As Muddy said the southern portion of Iowa is getting hammered and we have had similar conditions in my area of the state and haven't ever had any outbreaks that I'm aware of.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Are there any confirmed reports in MN or just this social media post?
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:23 pm

simpzenith wrote:Are there any confirmed reports in MN or just this social media post?

I think the OP was from St Cloud area. Small town South of there I think. They never mentioned the name of the river.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:46 am

Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
mstruzyk

Unread postby mstruzyk » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:58 am

yes it has been confirmed. I live right in the area; its the small town of st. Stephens just north of st cloud that seems to be the primary infected area spreading outwards every day. DNR dropped the water level down on the Mississippi to clean up a lake that is attached to it. A Lot of the river bank was than exposed; I myself have never seen the river that low in my life or seen that much shoreline. Im not sure if it has been confirmed yet that dropping the river was the cause of the EHD outbreak.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:06 am

Iv seen 3 videos this summer, on social media of bucks acting funny. One drowned itself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”