Early season.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Early season.....

Unread postby tim » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am

Just gonna come right out and say it, I suck at early season. I usually don’t have a lot of time for early season because I would take all my vacation in the fall and that will be the case this year as well. But this year I’m going for it , gonna try and knock down an early season monster, first chance I get the right wind . Anyone else got an early season hitlister they are going after .

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Early season.....

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 am

I have one maybe two shooters in my area in predictable patterns currently but with season opening oct 1 things may change. I have 10 cameras out soaking on a number of different farms currently and I’m hoping to get a picture telling me the monster I’ve been finding the sheds off of for 2 years is still hanging around the area again
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:52 pm

I use to believe that I hunted for the right wind for me,,,,, once I understood to hunt the right wind the deer liked, things changed

good luck
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:44 am

tundra@1 wrote:I use to believe that I hunted for the right wind for me,,,,, once I understood to hunt the right wind the deer liked, things changed

good luck

Yup! Always give the deer the wind. Just gotta kill them before they enter your just off wind.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 am

Early season is tough!

They are usually bedding tight to food and if they may not move bc of high temps. By the time season starts around here the acorns are hammering too, so if they do move its a short distance. One issue I have dealt with pushing it in hotter temps is humidity. Besides the fact it sucks!... I have noticed some squirrelly things with milkweed bc of it.

If you find the right spots, early season can be awesome! Biggest iv gotten so far is low 140s but I too would like to get a real big one early on
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:03 am

High temps, lots of cover and food. Look for isolated water source. Almost pulled it off yesterday evening on a water source. It’s been really dry around here recently. A lot of places that typically hold water are bone dry.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 am

tim wrote:
tundra@1 wrote:I use to believe that I hunted for the right wind for me,,,,, once I understood to hunt the right wind the deer liked, things changed

good luck

Yup! Always give the deer the wind. Just gotta kill them before they enter your just off wind.

Hunting where the wind is 100% in your favor is biggest mistake guys make IMO. That just off wind is the key. Sure many bucks walk with the wind to their back but the older smarter ones stay bedded till they think it’s safe and then use the wind and thermals to their advantage. Most times I’m hunting bedding it’s like threading a needle. This is why it’s so important to know the exact location of a majority of the beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”