Discussing the Rome legend buck...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Re: Discussing the Rome legend buck...

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:07 pm

As far as Dan infringing on the other hunter.
It's always uncomfortable for both parties involved in situations like this. To me the only thing he could of done differently to be totally in the right is got his tail in there sooner, but you still run the risk of coming up on someone who's pulling an all dayer.
It sounds to me like he set up quite a ways from the other hunter so not really a big deal.

Terrific buck and a great story!

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Great story & buck Dan!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:32 am

What I thought was awesome about that was just how giddy you sounded when you took Dave back there. Sure, all the tactical stuff was awesome, but hearing and seeing the sheer joy of success was special.

Here’s to hoping everyone on this forum experiences that feeling this fall... :beer:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 am

I think the one thing that we need to remember is that "public" is just that! If someone wanted to walk their dog they are well within their rights to do so. If someone wants to squirrel hunt they can do this also. Where I live in some state parks they have alot of horseback riding trails. It's not uncommon for them to roll through with a dog following their trail. There is an etiquette in the woods we should all respect, we are to share it with others and its equally theirs as to me. By all means if your on to a buck and you need to move through other hunters to get it done then do it! It's not like your setting up right next to them or 30 yards away! Do what you need to do and be respectful to the others!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:05 pm

:clap:

I did not realize that was the name of the buck! Iv always wondered about that specific mount. Cool story
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Cool video. Good primer for the upcoming season.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 pm

dan wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:Hey Dan, or anyone in a similar position.... this is not my main takeaway... but this interests me because I don’t have a wall of bucks to be jealous of yet. And I want to understand what someone who does has to deal with.. you certainly face unique challenges...

I’m sure you catch some attention when hunting locally. There must be guys that try to ride your coat tails.

Do the guys you walk past get discouraged when you walk by? Like well. Crap Dan is gonna go get another one...

Or do they respect you for the most part and move in after you move off.. I mean it’s public land but this is still bush league imo....

Also, I’m assuming you are pretty sneaky about not giving away your spots. Often not leaving until WELL after dark and going to retrieve bucks in the middle of the night. Does this not open you up to claims of shady activity?

It’s sad that people do that sort of thing, but have you ever been “investigated?” If so, how did that play out if you don’t mind sharing....

Does it still happen? Or have most people just accepted that you are an extremely good hunter.

The more you get known, the more you have to deal with people. Most are genuinely well meaning folks that are supportive and come up to me at a gas station or store and just say hi and shake your hand and tell me they appreciate all I do with the video's and such... But, along with that comes the jealous and hateful folks too. I have had grown men threaten Carol with harm at a gas station because they felt I was hunting "there" buck. I have had guys come to my house when Im not home and drill the kids and wife about where Im hunting. One time I was home, but my truck was gone and I came out and confronted them and noticed right away they were packing guns... Just another reason why I always have a gun in my pocket. I have now put up perimeter alarms around my property and security cameras. I have had "pro's" I once looked up to say horrible lies about me publicly, I have had wardens stalk me, tell people (like my boss, pro-shop workers, etc) Im a known poacher, I have had them blow my hunts walking in on me at prime time. And was quite surprised when wardens had audio recordings of me making fun of them at my truck after a hunt( honestly just joking around) ... What is nice, is the current wardens of the county I live in are great people who have been real supportive of me, and have even asked me for advice about things going on in the public lands. If you open yourself up like a book, you need to expect some jealousy and hate.... When your in my shoes, you need to make extra sure you don't break any laws no matter how minute. You never know who is watching or there motives. I also try to video tape everything I do for proof. It has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years or so... But rears up every time I shoot a giant locally on public. The biggest threat seems to ironically come from people who call you friend.

Soooo people lose their minds over hunting in states other than PA??? Lol. Seriously though it's to bad you have to deal with that. Glad you spoke about it though cause it just goes to show what you give up to help others with our sport. Thank you again Dan you and this site and the guys on it have truly helped me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”