Saddle gear update.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Saddle gear update.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:53 am

Just wanted to go over some saddle gear setups to stay ultralight but safe.

I've spend alot of time trying to find the best way to keep my predator on the tree without a buckle. I eventually ordered a 1500 pound hammock daisy chain. With 8 feet it wraps around tree 2-3 times.

As a backup I have 4 feet of amsteel creating a second tbridge incase of a fail.

I then attach a prussik to tree and another 3 feet of 1500 pound daisy chain as a backup. As my tethers.

Including mantis , predator and lines,prussik, daisy chains I'm coming it at just over 6 pounds total.

20190830_164010.jpg

Pros to the above.
I do keep a spare 1500 pound and 1000 pound daisy chain as backups. Extra security never hurts.

All of this weighs less then a heavy tether and ropeman one.
And weighs less then the lone wolf buckle.

The only metal thing that could clank is my carabiner. I don't think a way exist to safely remove it.

It eliminates a metal buckle of lone wolf strap and eliminates ropeman one from making a possible sound which could spook game.

What are you guys taking and how much does it weigh total?

All said and done my entire setup with 3 beast sticks , backpack , predator, saddle , carabiners, daisy chains 13 pounds to the tree. Plus bow in my hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
backstraps

Re: Saddle gear update.

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:12 am

Nice!! :clap:

Ive got to give a saddle a try! Could use something a little easier on the bad low back :lol:
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

backstraps wrote:Nice!! :clap:

Ive got to give a saddle a try! Could use something a little easier on the bad low back :lol:

A group of guys have organized an east TN saddle meetup tomorrow in Seymour. If you're interested, I can get you the details. A little too far away for me to justify it.
Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:27 pm

I am also running a Mantis/ Predator combo. My second year with it. I don't feel the need for any backup safety components, though. It's safer than many treestands in my opinion. I run
a Tethrd tree strap with a prusic, and a HSS or similar lineman's rope with a Ropeman 1. I painted the Predator and cobra-weaved the perimeter of it. Vet tape on the biners. Tethrd mini versa strap for the Predator. I haven't weighed my setup, but I'm more than happy with it.

Climbing methods are where I'm still dialing in my setup. Last year I used LW sticks and Wild Edge Stepps. This year I am starting with Heliums cut down to 22", stealth stripped, versa straps, Dewey's gun glow mod on the steps, and a CAYG aider.
Not all those who wander are lost...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:50 pm

jwilkstn wrote:
backstraps wrote:Nice!! :clap:

A group of guys have organized an east TN saddle meetup tomorrow in Seymour. If you're interested, I can get you the details. A little too far away for me to justify it.

Thanks, yeah same for me. Im almost 2 hours away.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Sweet! Where did ya get the daisy chain and how muchey por favor
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Sweet! Where did ya get the daisy chain and how muchey por favor

Tethered Nation
Any hammock gear website will have part daisy chain hammock lines. Unfortunately not all 8 feet is daisy chain though 4-6 feet is depending on the company.

You can find it by typing in daisy chain by the foot in google.

There's at least 6 types of daisy chain I've found around the web .
The 750 pound ultralight green runs 1.50 a foot on hammock gear.com.

Most heavy duty daisy chain runs around 15.00 -30 .00 from hammock websites. They come in 6- 12 foot lengths depending on the company. Most are 8 feet for some reason.

Dutchwear gear has daisy chain also bad thing is its blue.

I havent tried them all I do currently have 4 types I been playing with. Some I switch back and forth on climbing sticks. Some goes onto my hammocks.

Currently I'm running first 2 sticks tethered mini daisychain. Third stick and predator heavy duty red daisy chain.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Jeff are you new to saddle hunting or have been doing it for a while?
I ask because Id like to know if you prefer saddle over stand? Can you set up easier and or quieter with the saddle?
How do you carry your sticks and gear?
Do you require a bunch of movement to make a shot?
I have honestly never looked into saddle hunting. I say every year. Maybe post season and off season I will start practicing:)
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Sweet! Where did ya get the daisy chain and how muchey por favor

Tethered Nation
Any hammock gear website will have part daisy chain hammock lines. Unfortunately not all 8 feet is daisy chain though 4-6 feet is depending on the company.

Most heavy duty daisy chain runs around 15.00 -30 .00 from hammock websites. They come in 6- 12 foot lengths depending on the company. Most are 8 feet for some reason.

I havent tried them all I do currently have 4 types I been playing with. Some I switch back and forth on climbing sticks. Some goes onto my hammocks.

Currently I'm running first 2 sticks tethered mini daisychain. Third stick and predator heavy duty red daisy chain.

Thanks! Been keeping my eye on Dutchwear for awhile with no luck. Checked Tethred as well and they are currently out of the size I want. Got a 5000 ft spool of heavy duty webbing but don't even come close to trusting my sewing abilities.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:37 pm

backstraps wrote:Jeff are you new to saddle hunting or have been doing it for a while?
I ask because Id like to know if you prefer saddle over stand? Can you set up easier and or quieter with the saddle?
How do you carry your sticks and gear?
Do you require a bunch of movement to make a shot?
I have honestly never looked into saddle hunting. I say every year. Maybe post season and off season I will start practicing:)

I'm new to saddle hunting this is my first year.
I'm still working on finding the right setup I've changed it several times. I'm sure I'll continue to change little things experimenting what's best for me.

Both stand and saddle are quiet. The good thing about a saddle is you don't hit all the brush with it going in. I've had some real noisy times taking a stand through brush. I've also had it hit my climbing sticks or limbs trying to place it on the tree.

I carry my sticks by strapping them to my backpack. And saddle goes in my backpack. Unzip backpack most of the way 200 yards from setup so you don't need to unzip in a bedding area.

Movement doesnt seem any more then a treestand.
Think about a treestand we mostly grab bow , stand up, position feet, make sure were safe on platform.

With a saddle its grab bow rotate tether a few feet or just turn the body. It's not harder if anything it's more convenient not needing to stand up. It is easier to shoot 360 degree.

The only really annoying shot is the 2- 3 o'clock weak side shot is the hardest. Anything else becomes a breeze with practice. You can setup so your weak side shot is where your wind is blowing. Making chances of a shot downwind rare.

I did lower my bow poundage by about 5 pounds currently shooting 62 pounds.

Some areas I still use a Assault. They are just pieces of gear each for different situations . Each with positives and negatives. Saddle shape is a thing it can take getting used too. I've only done short sits under 4 hours so far.

Keep in mind each saddle feels different so it's about figuring out which one you will like. For sitting most people say flex is most comfortable for leaning mantis or kite. It will take you hours in a saddle to know if you prefer sitting or leaning. I prefer sitting though I do lean half a hour then sit in mantis repeat.

I like a bigger saddle size large for my 34 waste.
If you can find a saddle. showing you might can test several different ones before buying. I wouldn't buy one and get rid of a stand. I just look at it as another tool in the toolbox
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

Tethered Nation

Thanks! Been keeping my eye on Dutchwear for awhile with no luck. Checked Tethred as well and they are currently out of the size I want. Got a 5000 ft spool of heavy duty webbing but don't even come close to trusting my sewing abilities.

Hammock gear.com has several types.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Thank you for posting this. I just got my stock aerohunter kite and I am trying to figure out where to make improvements. Some people have issues with the ropemans and it kind of scares me.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:13 pm

DhD wrote:Thank you for posting this. I just got my stock aerohunter kite and I am trying to figure out where to make improvements. Some people have issues with the ropemans and it kind of scares me.

I like ropeman ones but you can raise or lower your tether height which does the same thing leaning closer or further from the tree.

A ropeman one is good for a lineman rope though it isn't really needed for a tether. I didn't see what the huge benefit is of it. To me I just see it as extra weight to carry and extra potential sounds. You being on the kite it may or not help you more I dunno never tried a kite.

I have not figured it all out yet. I'm just doing what I can to improve my setup while decreasing weight.

What works for me may not work for you. I'm just trying to give ideas on ways saddle hunters can improve or solve issues they may be having.

One thing I really recommend is have a backup incase you have a issue with a daisy chain or tether. You could bump it with a broadhead or forget one piece easily. Nothing like going to your tree and realizing I left the lone wolf stand strap at the car a mile away.

Carrying a backup 1500 pound daisy chain and backup light carbinder. Wont add half a pound it could be the difference in hunting from the tree or ground. I often can get rushed and forget something.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you for the well explained replies!! Good info and very much appreciated
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:00 am

I’m running a JX3 hybrid saddle. I use one hawk helium stick and a five step aider to climb. My total weight to the woods is around 14 pounds. I tried the minimalist saddles but could not get comfortable after one season. My JX3 hybrid is like sitting in a summit Viper. Hope everyone has a good season

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”