Can't Focus on Work

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Can't Focus on Work

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 am

I am sitting at my desk, watching my students take a test on short stories, but I simply cannot focus on do anything, besides my final prep for the upcoming season. Every year I go through this, and I am sure most of you do as well. During the latter months of summer, through the entirety of fall, I've got a one track mind. Teaching comes secondary, as well as chores around the house.

With many seasons around the country opening in the next few weeks, I just wanted to start a thread talking about how you justify your obsession vs your obligations. As many beasts know, be so obsessed comes with major sacrifices. What do you tell your bosses, and wives, to justify what we do?

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Can't Focus on Work

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 am

I try to work really hard to get ahead in September and early October then every year, I end up working a crap ton in December after my hunting season bender to meet year-end deadlines. November is just survival mode at work.

I get a little sidetracked at work sometimes, but I've been that way as long as I can remember going back to grade school. But when I am focused I am HYPER FOCUSED and can crank through my work 5x faster and better than most of my peers. It's a blessing and a curse.

On the home front family always comes first, and my wife is good about my hunting. I try to do a lot of honey-do's and accrue goodwill in advance. This weekend's production I'm staining all of our decking. I never let the preseason prep get in the way, I work that around the wife and kids schedules. When hunting season comes you gotta take some evenings off and give the wife a break from the kids, or just take her out. Don't waste my time when the weather is hot, I've learned to be more efficient about when I hunt. With all those precautions, if I time it just right my wife is only moderately annoyed by the end of the season.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:59 am

I've always really been into hunting.
Growing up I worked alot of jobs and bosses always got mad that I wanted off in November I lost several jobs this way no regrets. I can work the other 11 months a year I'm not missing the rut.

I usually asked to go from 5 days a week schedule to 3 days. I really didn't think it was that much to ask. For some it sure was.
Recently I started building custom pcs it allows me to have my own schedule.

Hunting takes a toll on relationships also. Ladies like being the center of attention and don't want anything to interfere with that. In a way I understand their point. I think if they hunted they would understand. Most in my age group are so anti hunting and even anti outdoors hiking, camping, archery.

I'm also kinda obsessed with tweaking things and figuring out small details and modifications probably why I also like building computers.

Hunting has always been a obsession even though I'm not the greatest at it. The woods are where I find my inner peace.
While at work I find myself wondering if that big 10 point is bedded where I think he is right now.

While hunting has I think in some ways of my life hurt me it has greatly increased my self confidence, determination, and love of nature.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 am

I struggle at times. As I type this, my attention is divided between work and thinking about hunting. For my work that is more physical in nature, I have no problem focusing on the task at hand. For desk work it is hard. Easy to take a couple minute break and read hunting stuff. I have found that I basically have to talk to myself to get myself through the desk work. I am confident that people think I am a bit crazy...

the way I see it is I am who I am and I take pride in the work that I do. I always joke that I do excellent work....just not a lot of it. Nobody can be a robot and have 100% focus all of the time. Some people walk around the office and shoot the breeze throughout the day. Me, I am antisocial and I sit and think about hunting throughout the day. It has never been brought up as an issue by anyone other than my wife so I must be doing ok.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:47 am

In it sweet.

Awesome time of year.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:15 am

Haha

Same here :greetings-wavingyellow:

It seems to never fail... every year, right before season and my vacation starts something ridiculous happens at work. Season cant get here quick enough!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 am

This is a bad time for me...my fiancé keeps asking what’s wrong as I pace around the house...I spend money I don’t need to be use I cruise the internet looking at hunting stuff...tough time.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 am

My plants are almost halfway through what we have for contracted work this year, (check the calendar), have a month and a half of night work left, and some big personnel holes to fill.

Season needs to hurry up
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm usually extremely busy from late winter to fall. But once the first cold fall feeling morning hits I start itching.

It becomes hard to focus on getting customers stuff done plus gear up for going back to teaching every fall.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Am I not supposed to be reading this thread while I am at work?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:35 am

DhD wrote:Am I not supposed to be reading this thread while I am at work?

uh oh, I think we are in the same boat. Just do what I do, bring in venison jerky for your boss and he wont mind what you read at work as long as the job is done and the jerky is good haha. This time of year is rough, I have the last of quarterly deliverables at work and i'm starting to over stress the things I haven't done yet prior to the season, because as we all know there is always more we could of done.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:40 am

My focus at work has definitely been wavering lately. Actually taking my third vacation day all year today to make it a 4 day weekend and go on a quick trip with the wife. Have already answered a phone call and an email. :roll:
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 am

Hadn't been too bad until lately. But the other day it was 50 degrees and I had to climb a 100 foot grain leg. Man you could see some good looking river bottom from there and it just felt like fall. Before season isn't as bad as when season opens. That's when my mind really starts to sidetrack and think about which stand I should be in.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:36 am

DhD wrote:Am I not supposed to be reading this thread while I am at work?

:lol:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:51 am

bigbuckhunter88 wrote:Hadn't been too bad until lately. But the other day it was 50 degrees and I had to climb a 100 foot grain leg. Man you could see some good looking river bottom from there and it just felt like fall. Before season isn't as bad as when season opens. That's when my mind really starts to sidetrack and think about which stand I should be in.

Can't see much river bottoms from here but in the fall I like to climb to the top of the leg to "grease it". AKA: watch the city water treatment ponds to see which way the geese fly off in the mornings and what fields they're using or where they're coming back from after feeding a little bit later in the morning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”