Sneaking up on bedded bucks in crp fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Sneaking up on bedded bucks in crp fields

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 pm

Has anyone had success on sneaking within bow range to bedded bucks in crp fields? I have been scouting a handful of them and from my encounters I feel like you could have some pretty decent opportunities if done right. Just wondering if anybody does this? I will be trying it this season for sure just to spice it up a little bit.

Haste makes waste
Trout
500 Club

Re: Sneaking up on bedded bucks in crp fields

Unread postby Trout » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Check out the untamed on youtube. HP guys have some videos on it, too. I picked up a ghillie suit this off season and am looking forward to giving it a shot, looks like a lot of fun.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Smitty that would be an awesome kill

I have never been in the “type” of crp that would allow me to move slow and quiet enough

However, I have seen them bedded and set and studied how to try but never attempted

Hope you the very best and would be even better if you could have someone film you or wearing a gopro!!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:36 pm

I don't have CRP around where I hunt. There are some briar fields in some places, but they are not really suitable for sneaking thru. It would be cool to do. If you think it could work then go for it!!
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Trout wrote:Check out the untamed on youtube. HP guys have some videos on it, too. I picked up a ghillie suit this off season and am looking forward to giving it a shot, looks like a lot of fun.

Okay thanks will do. Ya I’m excited to try it due to a lot of the time my kiddos don’t allow me to make it out for evening sits, so it should be a good way to use my time after work mid day ish. Since following the beast and learning how they bed I have had a ton of success and opportunities rifle season in other terrains doing this, it’s just a little different with bow in hand.
Haste makes waste
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:12 pm

backstraps wrote:Smitty that would be an awesome kill

I have never been in the “type” of crp that would allow me to move slow and quiet enough

However, I have seen them bedded and set and studied how to try but never attempted

Hope you the very best and would be even better if you could have someone film you or wearing a gopro!!

Thanks I only have a tactacam may have to check out the head mount.
Haste makes waste
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:16 pm

cspot wrote:I don't have CRP around where I hunt. There are some briar fields in some places, but they are not really suitable for sneaking thru. It would be cool to do. If you think it could work then go for it!!

I never realized how many of these type of fields there were around me until this year a lot of them are not very big but they get used for sure at least early in the season. Hopefully I can drum up some success in them!!
Haste makes waste
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Think windy!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Smitty, here's an idea. I normally wear my ghillie suit in as I slowly walk to my intended area to hunt.Twice I have walked within 5-15 yards of bedded shooters, one was holed up with a hot doe. Since I didn't have a plan on how I was going to get a shot off I got down quickly on one knee (which made it too low to get a shot off) and because of the ghillie suit and the high grass they had no idea I was there. They had just heard me slowly moving along. What's interesting is that they both trotted out to about 25 yards and stopped and turned around to see what was going on behind them. After this occurred the second time I came up with a tactic that should allow me to get a shot off if the CRP isn't too high. If I do jump them again, I'm planning on getting into shooting position with my bow drawn and when they stop to look back I should be able to get the bow aimed properly and let the arrow fly. I just have to stand my ground because they are looking ahead of them initially until they stop and look back around. I had the wind in my favor both times.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 pm

stash59 wrote:Think windy!!

Yep
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:27 am

Lockdown wrote:
stash59 wrote:Think windy!!

Yep

x3
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 am

I've watched some does bed for hours on end in CRP but never caught a buck bedding in my particular area. I do have a set on the edge of CRP that has trails from the connecting woodlot and took a nice 9pt last year there.
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:10 pm

The Silence wrote:Smitty, here's an idea. I normally wear my ghillie suit in as I slowly walk to my intended area to hunt.Twice I have walked within 5-15 yards of bedded shooters, one was holed up with a hot doe. Since I didn't have a plan on how I was going to get a shot off I got down quickly on one knee (which made it too low to get a shot off) and because of the ghillie suit and the high grass they had no idea I was there. They had just heard me slowly moving along. What's interesting is that they both trotted out to about 25 yards and stopped and turned around to see what was going on behind them. After this occurred the second time I came up with a tactic that should allow me to get a shot off if the CRP isn't too high. If I do jump them again, I'm planning on getting into shooting position with my bow drawn and when they stop to look back I should be able to get the bow aimed properly and let the arrow fly. I just have to stand my ground because they are looking ahead of them initially until they stop and look back around. I had the wind in my favor both times.

I have observed the same thing if they don’t smell you or plainly see you.
Haste makes waste
Smitty

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 pm

megavites wrote:I've watched some does bed for hours on end in CRP but never caught a buck bedding in my particular area. I do have a set on the edge of CRP that has trails from the connecting woodlot and took a nice 9pt last year there.

I travelled this one particular crp field/wood edge last year a couple times and it was all doe bedding didn’t get to excited until recently when I stumbled on numerous bucks using certain other crp fields not sure if they will still hang around these areas once their velvet is off and the grass starts laying down or not though.
Haste makes waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”