First Sign of the Year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

First Sign of the Year

Unread postby The Silence » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:20 pm

What types of sign do you guys look for that may indicate you've got a big boy in the neighborhood as soon as velvet is shed:
(1) Shredded saplings.
(2) Larger rubs higher on the tree.
(3) Scrapes start opening up.

I've read from several sources that sometimes the first sign that shows up when a mature buck is around are torn up saplings or bushes.
Just wondering what you guys have noticed.

tim
500 Club

Re: First Sign of the Year

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

BIG tracks
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 am

I agree with the above. Tall rubs on small saplings in late august or first days of september usually tells me it's a good one. Big tracks are good sign every day 365/year. Just yesterday I was scouting a transition that I know a shooter is using, and there were multiple good trails along the transition and I found a set of big tracks using one of those trails. Not saying it's definitely him, or that he only uses that one trail, but it is a puzzle piece.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 am

All of the above really. Old school scouting, you put together whatever sign is available and trust your gut in a lot of cases. Above all else I would probably prefer to find big tracks also. But tracks are tough in the mountainous terrain I hunt, unless you can get a logging track or some kind of clearing where water gathers.

When I see bushes, often laurel here, or saplings shredded and busted clean off, I feel it's pretty safe to assume it's at least a 3.5 year old. So I often hone in on those and especially concentrations of those. But really any rub I think you are making a general guess and probably able to read the buck's demeanor more than age and size. I rarely ever see the big high telephone pole rubs scouting preseason, usually those start to appear later, well into October, as the rut crescendos. Scrapes, I take nothing away from those with respect to a deer's size.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 am

tim wrote:BIG tracks

Amen. I look for big tracks over everything else.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 am

Most cases I see bigger bucks shed before younger ones. Every one is different obviously but in general I see that. Ill be driving home after a hunt opening week and still see 1-2 yr olds in velvet on the side of the road.

So when I find a rubbed up or broken sapling now-sept 15 I relate it to a shooter near by. I love it when its got a slight reddish tint to it
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:26 am

Last year I hunted the Sept 1 opener in Kentucky. On the evening of the 4th, I had a 3 or 4 year old buck follow the script. Before he stepped out, he spent 15-20 minutes absolutely thrashing saplings and bushes just 30 yards from me. He made so much noise I eventually started to doubt what I knew at first was a buck making rubs. I went back in the area the next morning to investigate the sign he left and I couldn't believe how easy to overlook it would have been had I had known it was there. For the time spent and the racket he made, I expected a whole lot more. I learned from this not to discount those first rubs of the season even if they don't look like much.
Not all those who wander are lost...
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:38 am

Tracks and glassing. If we are talking September 1 openers, hard to beat glassing intel for summer patterns/food sources.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am

jwilkstn wrote:Last year I hunted the Sept 1 opener in Kentucky. On the evening of the 4th, I had a 3 or 4 year old buck follow the script. Before he stepped out, he spent 15-20 minutes absolutely thrashing saplings and bushes just 30 yards from me. He made so much noise I eventually started to doubt what I knew at first was a buck making rubs. I went back in the area the next morning to investigate the sign he left and I couldn't believe how easy to overlook it would have been had I had known it was there. For the time spent and the racket he made, I expected a whole lot more. I learned from this not to discount those first rubs of the season even if they don't look like much.

This is good. It sounds different than a rub line during rut. What are your thoughts on that? Was it more localized than a typical rub line? How did it relate to bedding?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:41 am

greenhorndave wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:Last year I hunted the Sept 1 opener in Kentucky. On the evening of the 4th, I had a 3 or 4 year old buck follow the script. Before he stepped out, he spent 15-20 minutes absolutely thrashing saplings and bushes just 30 yards from me. He made so much noise I eventually started to doubt what I knew at first was a buck making rubs. I went back in the area the next morning to investigate the sign he left and I couldn't believe how easy to overlook it would have been had I had known it was there. For the time spent and the racket he made, I expected a whole lot more. I learned from this not to discount those first rubs of the season even if they don't look like much.

This is good. It sounds different than a rub line during rut. What are your thoughts on that? Was it more localized than a typical rub line? How did it relate to bedding?

I would consider this to be a staging area. All the rubs were within 10 yards of another. I guessed the bedding was on a point that fell off of the soybean field I sat up on the edge of. I attempted to confirm that the next morning, but couldn't locate the bed. I was 200 yards or so from that point at the head of a draw that was a shaded, low spot in the field. My thermals were just barely missing him in that staging area.
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”