Trusted sources of deer hunting info??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dskol89

Re: Trusted sources of deer hunting info??

Unread postby dskol89 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 am

For me, anything Dan, Jeff Sturgis, and the Hunting Public say, I put a lot of stock in. They all have a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share. There’s several other good hunters out there on the interwebs that I trust and learn from, but you can’t go wrong with those fellas

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 am

This site is my source.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 am

Books.
The benoits books.
Whitetail bioligy book taught me a ton about deer themselves really helps grasp what they do.

I think its way over looked.
I believe,learning about the animal is almost more,important then reading,about hunting tactics.
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:03 am

I agree with Dave on reading about the local vegetation. It helps to answer some of the why questions.

IMO there is also a point of to much written information for new hunters. Until you have a good first hand understanding, to much information can lead you to over complicating the situation. A simple 10 point checklist for a new hunter is probably more valuable than reading all the books combined. I needed more experience, then more advanced tactics, then more experience and on and on. The foundation before the house so to speak.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 am

One final thought - IMO the best way to learn HOW to kill a buck is not always by learning how other hunter think about killing deer - the best approach is by learning to think like the buck we want to arrow. If all we learn is another hunters thoughts and methods for where he hunts we have limited our growth - the real growing, IMO, occurs when we start to get into the "psyche and thoughts" of the prey we pursue.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 am

DaveT1963 wrote:One final thought - IMO the best way to learn HOW to kill a buck is not always by learning how other hunter think about killing deer - the best approach is by learning to think like the buck we want to arrow. If all we learn is another hunters thoughts and methods for where he hunts we have limited our growth - the real growing, IMO, occurs when we start to get into the "psyche and thoughts" of the prey we pursue.

Well said Dave! :clap:

I've done tons of reading on here and other places, and I've learned a lot doing it. But, you've got to get out in the woods and figure it out. One "expert" might think what you're doing to kill that buck is stupid, but if you kill him, who cares? And, what you used to kill that buck may blow it for you on the next one. if you figure out the deer and kill it, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant........ as long as it's legal! :D
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:20 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Id recommend adding in some other resources like local natural browse and mast trees identification books, local breeding studies, telemetry studies, studying wind currents and thermals, etc. while not exactly enthusiastic reading at times, most hunters are not lacking in general whitetail hunting methods or how other approach deer hunting - but I often find a lot of hunters cannot identify even the basics of what is important to DEER. Just my 2 cents.

Great suggestion.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Oceana

Unread postby Oceana » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:37 am

The Penn State Deer Blog is incredibly eye opening in the world of deer movements and patterns, especially in areas of big woods, hill country, and the rut.

PS I wish someone would do a podcast with (Dr.) Duane Diefenbach who authors most of this deer blog.

https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 am

NorthStar wrote:
Dewey wrote:Self experience. You can read all you want but nothing beats that.

When I first joined The Beast, this answer would have pissed me off. But I am on my 3rd year of Beast style hunting and I feel myself getting closer and closer to success. It hasn't been easy....I have sweat until I am completely drenched, I have been eaten alive by mosquitos, I have walked for miles in thick and nasty stuff just to bump the deer I was after in the last 30 yards of my walk. My own failures have taught me more than any book, video, blog, forum, etc. could ever teach me.

Having said all of this, in my own opinion, there is no better place to get exchange ideas then the Hunting Beast. We all have our own styles and experiences but we pretty much have the same goal in mind. When I fail a hunt, I come here to talk about it and learn about what my options are to change my approach for the next sit.

Good to hear you figured out that hard work and learning from your failures is the key. It’s amazing how many fail to recognize that and just assume there is some type of shortcut.

I agree there is a ton of information here to read and that will no doubt get you headed in the right direction but none of it works unless applied properly and with some trial and error to figure out what works best for you.
83mulligan

Unread postby 83mulligan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 am

wired to hunt is a good resource. Mark Kenyon is a down to earth guy and he brings in a lot of great guests with an emphasis on hunting mature bucks. There is some other stuff to sift through like western hunting, land management, etc. However, the bulk of the content is white tail and he is an excellent interviewer who asks meaningful questions, not just a dude with a mic shooting the bull with the guest.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:37 am

83mulligan wrote:wired to hunt is a good resource. Mark Kenyon is a down to earth guy and he brings in a lot of great guests with an emphasis on hunting mature bucks. There is some other stuff to sift through like western hunting, land management, etc. However, the bulk of the content is white tail and he is an excellent interviewer who asks meaningful questions, not just a dude with a mic shooting the bull with the guest.

I agree, I’ve read everything on his site. I should have qualified my post and said to READ. I read to get to sleep and prefer reading to podcasts and you tube.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
83mulligan

Unread postby 83mulligan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:57 am

mheichelbech wrote:
83mulligan wrote:wired to hunt is a good resource. Mark Kenyon is a down to earth guy and he brings in a lot of great guests with an emphasis on hunting mature bucks. There is some other stuff to sift through like western hunting, land management, etc. However, the bulk of the content is white tail and he is an excellent interviewer who asks meaningful questions, not just a dude with a mic shooting the bull with the guest.

I agree, I’ve read everything on his site. I should have qualified my post and said to READ. I read to get to sleep and prefer reading to podcasts and you tube.

ok, gotcha. maybe he could send you the transcripts, lol. I mostly listen to his podcast when I'm driving around for work.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

I enjoyed reading Chris Eberharts whitetail access book. If you ignore the parts (scent related) that you don't agree with it's a good read.

I also enjoy reading into the history of areas that I hunt. One property was planted by hand 2200 acres by vets. If you hike around the chimney still exists for one of their common buildings. Parts of NY and PA were loaded with oil fields, I've found pump jacks literally out in the middle of swamps. Amazing to find things in the middle of no where and imagine the people and work it took.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:27 pm

83mulligan wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

ok, gotcha. maybe he could send you the transcripts, lol. I mostly listen to his podcast when I'm driving around for work.

Some podcast do that. I’ve heard it’s expensive but really no idea. Still good to have recommendations on other forms of media beside books.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Trout wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Trout wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
“Bowhunting’s Whitetail Masters...”

Just ordered this, looks like a solid book, thanks for mentioning it, hadn't heard of it before.

It is absolutely a worthwhile book. Let me know what you thought after you finish it?

Scott

Been picking through a chapter here and chapter there since this one landed. I cant believe this book has been around since before I started hunting. I feel robbed that I didnt read it until now. Anyone who likes beast style hunting will love this book. I especially liked the Rompola chapter. That guy would fit right in on this forum.

Its a great book and that's a great chapter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”