Shot placement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shot placement

4%
8%
39%
No votes
3%
No votes
1%
Yellow dot
45%

Total votes: 74
Dewey

Re: Shot placement

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 am

Am I high in a tree or shooting at ground level? Makes a big difference for shot placement.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am

Dewey wrote:Am I high in a tree or shooting at ground level? Makes a big difference for shot placement.

Good point, shot angle is huge. I assumed as pictured and I'm on the ground.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:07 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:Am I high in a tree or shooting at ground level? Makes a big difference for shot placement.

On the ground I would be aiming for 3. My goal is to center punch the lungs and not crowd the shoulder blade. Too bad shot’s are rarely as easy as this one. Textbook perfect except for the deer looking at you and being alert. Depending on that situation it may be wise to aim a bit lower since the buck will likely drop a bit after the shot. Looks real close range so probably won’t even matter.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:41 am

My spot to pick is 3. Looking for a pass trough shot on both lungs. Tucking up to close in the crease behind the shoulder is risky to me if something doesn’t go quite right at the moment of truth (but when does something not go exactly right when bowhunting?) Also depending on the position of the opposite front leg could eliminate your exit wound if you hit solid bone on the far side.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm

I picked 3 but where I would actually aim is in between yellow and 3
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm

cspot wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I tried to imitate #3 on this diagram. IMHO that’s getting awfully close to guts if your shot goes right. Sure you’ve got liver, but a liver hit deer can easily live for hours. I’ve read up to four hours. If blood is sparse that makes for a long grueling track. :think:

Btw they show the heart way too far forward in this diagram. It sits on the bottom of the chest cavity protected by the “elbow” joints

Yes that diagram isn't exactly right. For me the trouble with the yellow is a touch forward and you can hit the shoulder and not get the deer. If I go a touch back from 3 then I will still get the deer but maybe just have to wait a little longer. Usually the deer will drop a little which will still put you in the lungs then. Of course I seldom miss my aiming point by more than a 1/4" :lol:

IMHO, the yellow dot is in the center of the kill zone left and right. If you shoot too far forward, you’ll hit bone and the deer has a legitimate chance of surviving. Too far back, you get guts and he will die 100% of the time. Most gut shot deer don’t bleed good at all, and without a tracking dog the odds are definitely not in our favor. Heck I’ve double lunged more than one deer that doesn’t leave squat for a blood trail. Then when you gut them their chest cavity is filled with blood.

In my mind, choosing #3, if you shoot 8” back you get guts. You could shoot a foot forward and it’s smoke city. Yeah a shot that hits #3 will put him down quick, I just feel it’s a tad too far back to aim there.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

On the ground I would be aiming for 3. My goal is to center punch the lungs and not crowd the shoulder blade. Too bad shot’s are rarely as easy as this one. Textbook perfect except for the deer looking at you and being alert. Depending on that situation it may be wise to aim a bit lower since the buck will likely drop a bit after the shot. Looks real close range so probably won’t even matter.

Yes shot choice as pictured.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Between the yellow dot and the 2 from ground level.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm

2 with a rifle all day,

With the bow right between yellow dot and 3
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 pm

I shoot a crossbow with a extremely heavy setup. I shoot for the yellow dot, if I hit shoulder the worst case scenario I blast thru one, but usually I get a pass through with 120 lbs kinetic energy. If I catch heart and both lungs it usually results in less then 50 yard trail job.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 am

I said yellow dot but like it to be a little bit higher and a tad right.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”