Scouting swamp edge with wind in your face or just off wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

Scouting swamp edge with wind in your face or just off wind

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:42 pm

I normally scout the transition line with the wind in my face coming out of the swamp. I was wondering if anyone has had better results scouting with a quartering or just off wind blowing into the swamp as you scout the transition line. I know Dan talks alot about just off winds, which I've used that technique in spots where I have pre scouted the beds.

Use your reason, but trust in god.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Scouting swamp edge with wind in your face or just off wind

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 pm

If I'm scouting in the off season I don't care about wind direction. In-season scouting, while I'm walking in to hunt, the wind direction is very important. You don't want your scent to blow into the potential bedding area. I go slow and do a lot of looking, if you walk past good sign and then come back your ground scent might screw you.....so you have to take into account where you walk AND where your stink blows.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Scouting swamp edge with wind in your face or just off wind

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Yea I have done it, it works fine especially on a sunny day. Don’t get too close stay on that outside transition and when you see the sign coming out you can follow it in deeper or j hook in if you have to and get yourself setup for the falling thermals because the wind will die down and you will be at their mercy.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”