Bucks traveling to hills to bed or low thick stuff??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abenak89

Bucks traveling to hills to bed or low thick stuff??

Unread postby Abenak89 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 am

So first off new to website. I read as much as I can before my post and I am having an odd question/problem. I live and hunt in WI. Found some nice public and am getting nice bucks on camera.

At one spot I have a camera is this lowish spot next to a soybean field. To the back of it is thick lowland grass/brush thick stuff! And a trout stream runs thru it and meets a bigger river. So imagine a T. The top horizontal line is bigger river. Middle line is small trout river. Now to the right its lowland and beans to the left it's a nice ridge (we have the big hills here and ridges) I scouted the ridges and they are tore up from last year, several runs and got some nice bucks there as well. Mostly at night tho..

The bucks are coming by the bean camera just after dark 830pm-9pm which tells me they prolly bedding close.. the direction they coming from is from the bean field tho, not the hills..

So is it possible they are bedding in the lower land thick crap? I have not.. go in deep yet to look. As most what I read says they will be on the hills. Some trail pics have the bucks coming from the left which could be them coming off ridges and down to feed. It's in close proximity. THEY CAN NOT SEE FIELD FROM BEDS ON RIDGES THO. It's too far and too much thick stuff between. I also had bachelor group on camera at 1130am. In the low river bottom which tells me they feel safe down there..

Abenak89

Re: Bucks traveling to hills to bed or low thick stuff??

Unread postby Abenak89 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 am

The bottom where it says other cameras that's the ridges. It gets up to 1000-1100 feet. Also to the right were it says big hill, there is a taller hill 1100 ish on other side of road. Not too far. They MIGHT be able to bed on the side and see fields from there...

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:16 am

I am thinking your dot is on a funnel that will be sensitive to pressure and human scent. Just FYI. Would you hunt near it during rut? Halloween time maybe.
And the bedding could be both up top and low in the thick. Natural pattern in my area (hilly with Creek bottom) is bedding up hill and coming down in evening. Once they are disturbed it would be normal for them to hide more in the thick. A smart, mature buck COULD use the bottom year round and be in a super secure location.
Looks like you have a great area to hunt, learn and learn some more in.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:54 am

It could be either, but I’d say it depends on pressure. I have found beds on public right next to the low lying fields in the thick stuff in early season before pressure kicks up. After they are bumped a few times they will most likely be heading up the hills. If there is a safe way to throw a sit at the bottom with a good exit route, that might be worth trying.
Abenak89

Unread postby Abenak89 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”