New and need help!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outlaw10

New and need help!!!

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 am

Hey all! My name is Jim and I'm new to the site...Been bowhunting since I was a kid... Anyway, I'm a new (silent) student of Dan ever since the end of last season and his knowledge has brought me to this buck... I have multiple cellular cam pics of him at approx: 0900-1000... Would you plan on hunting him opening (morning) day?? I mean I know Dan says he would rather hunt evenings anyways... For me opening day will be 09/28 in Ohio... Thanks!! [img[/img
WGI_0032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PK_
500 Club

Re: New and need help!!!

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:33 am

Oh what a tank.

If you could glass from a safe distance I would try to do that for a few mornings before opener. That would tell you for sure.

To be honest I would be surprised if he was still in the same spot and same routine. 9/28 is just riggggght around that natural shift that is exacerbated by a bow opener.

But I really hope it works out for you one way or another. Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Outlaw10

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:38 am

PK dang man thats a killer idea... (as I smack myself upside the forehead/why didn't I think of that) Thanks for the reply!!! I'm in panic mode as the season is getting closer!!!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:40 am

That is a good one. Good luck chasing him down!

If you are seeing him consistently in that time frame and think you can get in there on him, then I would go for it (assuming wind is good for doing so). Do you know where he is bedding in relation to where you are getting pics? You may want to look back at the days you have pics of him during that time and see what the prevailing wind was for the area. Perhaps he is on that routine on a certain wind.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:43 am

That's a stud! Good luck with him. I definitely say throw some observation sites at him if you can. Moving that late in the morning he's going to be bedded very close by I think. If you know where he heads in the afternoon that's how I'd probably setup for him, but movement in the morning like that would sure make me consider a morning sit.
Outlaw10

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:45 am

cspot, as for wind i'm not sure but I jumped him outta his bed toward end of turkey season so he's about 65-75 yards away bedding just off a creek behind a big hill with a pond that was clear cut approx: 8ish years ago so most of the cover is what you see in the pic with a few standing trees... I can literally walk a field edge to the corner of the hill and be within 25 yards of him crossing there to get to his bed in the morning... (hopefully that all makes sense)
Outlaw10

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:48 am

Thanks austin1990! So lets put it this way... I have a few more pics of him around those times on my camera and have since moved it to a field edge to where I can see if I can access my potential stand site that way/making sure he wasnt swinging around that way... He has since stayed true to his routine thus far... I guess only time will tell...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 am

Outlaw10 wrote:cspot, as for wind i'm not sure but I jumped him outta his bed toward end of turkey season so he's about 65-75 yards away bedding just off a creek behind a big hill with a pond that was clear cut approx: 8ish years ago so most of the cover is what you see in the pic with a few standing trees... I can literally walk a field edge to the corner of the hill and be within 25 yards of him crossing there to get to his bed in the morning... (hopefully that all makes sense)

Doesn't make sense to me as I don't really know the area. :lol: However it seems like you have a good access route in the morning to get in there? This field you are talking about, is he likely feeding in there prior to heading to bed? Is he coming back out of the bed in that same general path?

Can you glass the field easily from a far distance? If you could then I would do what PK is saying and glass there in the morning and also in the evening to see what intel you can get. With still a month to go you are also going to get better info from your cell cam. He may start heading to bed sooner in the morning as it gets closer to Oct 1.

The routines often shift around, but sometimes they will still be on them that 1st week of October.
Outlaw10

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 am

cspot, no as of my last few pics I have some decent bucks moving through that field (thats maybe 40 yards wide and 200 yards long) but so far he doesn't seem to go that route... he stays in that thick stuff... so honestly to say exactlly where hes coming from i don't know but its def not through that field... man if i didn't have such a hard time uploading pics this would make much more sense to everyone!! hahaha
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:15 am

What part of the state are you in? I have a camp in SE Ohio.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:34 am

Normally I would say opening weekend mornings are an absolute killer time to setup. I see way to many nice bucks shot by your average joes for this to be coincidence. However the 28th might be too late to pull this off, heck even mid Sept doesn't work all that great. Best thing you can do is just try and keep tabs on him from a distance and keep an eye on the cams without pushing him out if you can. Might even have to wait until opening day to check cams again to get the info you need without disturbing the area too much.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:49 am

headgear wrote:Normally I would say opening weekend mornings are an absolute killer time to setup. I see way to many nice bucks shot by your average joes for this to be coincidence. However the 28th might be too late to pull this off, heck even mid Sept doesn't work all that great. Best thing you can do is just try and keep tabs on him from a distance and keep an eye on the cams without pushing him out if you can. Might even have to wait until opening day to check cams again to get the info you need without disturbing the area too much.

His original post says he has cell cams so he is good to go there.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 am

Plug the times and dates that you get him on camera in daylight or within 30 minutes of it. Weather Underground is a good resource, as well as NOA itself. By knowing the wind he’s utilizing the area, this helps you narrow down the specific weather conditions when he’s utilizing the area. Plus how you’d want to access..

It sounds like this clear cut where he is bedding is relatively small in size and adjacent to a pond, creek and hill?

If so, I’d try glassing and walking the field edge the day you hunt to cut some large tracks going in/out and marking that on your maps.

Also keep in mind the thermal pulls the pond, creek and hill will have, there’s a good possibility he’s utilizing them in his favor depending on how close they are to this area...

Hope my rambling helps, good luck with it :clap:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 am

You have multiple pics of him? Is there any consistency to his pattern/behavior such as:

heading the same direction every time?
same time frame?
showing up every day or every 3rd day or something like that?
shows up on west wind days but not on other days?

If you can glass from a distance and guarantee that he won't get onto you, that could help give you more intel but since you have a cell cam and season is still over a month away, I'd be inclined to rely on what that cam relays back to you for the next 3 weeks. If he stays on some type of pattern, I wouldn't risk doing anything aside from getting in there and hunting it the first chance you get (morning or evening depending on your cam intel). If he disappears in those 3 weeks, that final week before season I'd probably try to spend as much time as I could glassing and trying to figure out what he's doing.

Good luck. He's is a stud!
Outlaw10

Unread postby Outlaw10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Cspot I'm in Northeast Ohio

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”