Ditch crossing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Ditch crossing

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:25 am

I have a well used ditch funnel between 2 doe bedding areas, one bedding area is only 100 yards away the other is 300 yards. This spot is a long hike down a hiking trail, Across a creek, and around a knob so it will be extremely physically challenging for me to get to. My question is should I throw a early season evening sit at it, or save it for a morning rut hunt. Maybe I do both?

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Ditch crossing

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:43 am

I would throw an early season EVENING sit at it and if it is a really long walk, be particularly mindful of any fresh buck sign you come across on your way in that might be worth a sit. I've gotten on a couple good bucks over the years by aborting my original planned tree and setting up on fresh sign that told me a buck was feeding there NOW.

It sounds like a great spot for the rut too. If you do an early season sit, maybe think about taking a cam or two with you and throw them up in that funnel when you hunt it and don't plan on pulling them until the next time you go in to hunt it during the rut. You might not be able to capitalize on the intel you get this year but if you find bucks start cruising through it at a particular time of year and with a certain wind, you can bank on that spot heating up again under the same conditions in the future.

Good luck! 8-)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 am

xpauliber wrote:I would throw an early season EVENING sit at it and if it is a really long walk, be particularly mindful of any fresh buck sign you come across on your way in that might be worth a sit. I've gotten on a couple good bucks over the years by aborting my original planned tree and setting up on fresh sign that told me a buck was feeding there NOW.

It sounds like a great spot for the rut too. If you do an early season sit, maybe think about taking a cam or two with you and throw them up in that funnel when you hunt it and don't plan on pulling them until the next time you go in to hunt it during the rut. You might not be able to capitalize on the intel you get this year but if you find bucks start cruising through it at a particular time of year and with a certain wind, you can bank on that spot heating up again under the same conditions in the future.

Good luck! 8-)

I like Paul’s advice. The first thing I thought of was it would be a great rut set. Throwing an early season hunt at it shouldn’t hurt at all if the bucks aren’t there IMHO. One intrusion won’t keep the does out. If the does are there in November the bucks will be too.

One cam set up high should teach you a lot. Empty card+full batteries and leave it alone. I did this once and put it on video mode. Card was full around Nov. 1st. Don’t let that happen ;)
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 am

Found a similar spot last winter when I was looking for a bear. Very steep nasty debris filled ditch. The ONLY crossing I could find was cutting the top. I just might live there when they are on their feet looking for love. One of those big woods spots that any buck traveling that hillside is bound to follow.

I'm personally going to wait to hunt it. I don't wanna disturb the resident doe at all. And I really don't wanna deal with getting a buck outta there till it cools down cause it's likely to be a 2 day process....unless he runs to the top of the hill to die...and I haven't been so lucky lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”