Are you the most hardcore hunter you know?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Are you the most hardcore hunter you know?

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:12 am

I've always been driven to accomplish whatever goal I set out for myself and that trait has spilled over into my archery hunting and is in my opinion, one of the biggest contributors to my success; I refuse to give up. I started archery hunting when I was 12 years old and over the years, I would buy every book I could find about hunting bucks because I wanted to learn from people that were knocking down big bucks and try to shorten my own learning curve. Over the years, I had moderate success but each year the desire to kill a good buck with my bow drove me harder and harder to learn how to be better.

Each year, I host a pre-archery game feed where I invite all of my buddies that are into archery over to my house and we spend the whole day shooting bow, eating wild game, looking at trail cam pics, discussing strategy, etc. I love talking archery with other people because I can learn from them. The more hardcore they are into archery, the better! Eventually though, I realized that out of all the people that I associated with locally, I was the most hardcore. I would walk further, hang longer, scout harder, read more books, ask more questions, think about my mistakes, shed hunt harder, write more letters asking for permission, study maps longer, etc. I used to freeze out of the stand on November hunts and so I figured out a way to not do that. In short, like Dan posted about earlier this week, I want it more and I'll do what it takes to succeed.

Here's a post I wrote years ago about planning my first DIY out-of-state hunt that kind of captures the effort I put into my hunting: http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8717&p=90862&hilit=out+of+state#p90862. I enjoyed associating with people that were into archery but if they weren't pushing the envelope, then I wasn't able to learn anything and therefore I'm not getting any better. I remember over the years hearing about local guys that killed monster bucks with a bow and I'd track them down and go to their house to ask them about the hunt. They were always willing to tell their story to me but I never really learned anything because most of the time the lesson learned was "it was November and I was just in the right place at the right time."

Then, one fateful day, I discovered the BEAST and I was no longer the most hardcore hunter I knew....and I LOVED THAT FACT!! Here was a place where I could read about guys doing things that most people would consider crazy but in my mind, it made perfect sense. :mrgreen: Now, I could push the envelope of my own hunting style, learn things that I had never thought of before, and the drive/determination from the hunters on this forum help push me to keep learning and trying new things. Reading about some of the BEASTS that hunt multiple states each year made me think, "why can't I do that?" I live in PA and already spend a week hunting Ohio in November. So I spent this past winter, cyber scouting some public land in New York state. This spring I made 2 scouting trips up there, marked multiple stand locations and if I can score in PA early enough, I'll be zipping up to NY to try and punch a tag before heading to Ohio. How hardcore are you? You have to want it. If you're not the most hardcore guy you know personally, ask yourself why not? What do the other successful hunters in your area do that you don't do? Become the most hardcore hunter that you know and I guarantee success will follow simply because you won't stop until it does.

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Are you the most hardcore hunter you know?

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:23 am

Awesome read! I wouldn't consider myself the most hardcore hunter I know, but I often find myself hunting alone because no one wanted to hunt that day, or it was too cold, they didn't want to walk that far, didnt want to have to use a canoe to get to the spot we were going to hit... my life is hunting.... from practicing with the saddle, scouting, shooting, or just plain saving my money to buy non res tags... I'm always doing something that relates to my fall/winter activities!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:06 am

I think about hunting constantly. Scout hard. Cyber scout, almost every day. Hunt hard, get a decent buck every year. Always considered myself to be obsessed. But growing up here in PA... I wouldn't even put myself in the top 10 of guys I know as "hardcore" hunters. However, I do think I know more than those guys now thanks to the beast. But if they ever learned what I've learned and take it to heart and actually apply it... there is no doubt they'd all be so much better than me.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:11 am

I would like to say yes, but I am not. I have several friends that are what id consider hard core.
I would be more hardcore, but I dont have the time off work to allow me to be where id like to be :lol:
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:20 am

I don't know, not trying to be critical but I have a hard time looking at it that way. Its a hobby I enjoy the heck out of and spend as much time and money on as I can. It has never been and never will be a pecker measuring contest. If I ever put all my racks in a shed for a picture have someone put me down cause I've lost my marbles. That's just my view its a good thing we're all different.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:25 am

In my close circle of friends, yes. If I broaden it to "internet acquaintances" then no.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:30 am

muddy wrote:In my close circle of friends, yes. If I broaden it to "internet acquaintances" then no.

This!!^^^^^Compared to most of my friends yes. Beast and internet. Heck no!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 am

muddy wrote:In my close circle of friends, yes. If I broaden it to "internet acquaintances" then no.

Muddy just saved me time spent typing.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 am

Boom
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:49 am

(^^) Same goes for me.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 am

elk yinzer wrote:I don't know, not trying to be critical but I have a hard time looking at it that way. Its a hobby I enjoy the heck out of and spend as much time and money on as I can. It has never been and never will be a pecker measuring contest. If I ever put all my racks in a shed for a picture have someone put me down cause I've lost my marbles. That's just my view its a good thing we're all different.

Wow. You’ve totally missed the point.
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 am

I’m farthest from the most hard core hunter... I don’t want to make it a job over a passion for a sport... I am however the most hard core prepper! I like the anticipation of the season
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:02 am

I absolutely am within my friends and family I know through traditional means. Counting guys I've met online through our mutual obsession, probably not, but it's close.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:05 am

I would say i am.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:41 am

I know a lot of so called “hardcore” hunters who only think about hunting October/November. I don’t like labels but will say I think about hunting more than anybody I know.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”