Overlooked pre-season prep.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EllieTheChubb

Overlooked pre-season prep.

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Theres been a flush of posts and comments on the upcomming season and I've been doing my due dilligence. Shooting daily, making sure my stands are quiet, doing alot of low impact scouting. One thing I noticed today was my creaky truck door. I'll be sure to grease that before season starts.

My question is this: whats on the pre-season check list that often gets overlooked?

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Overlooked pre-season prep.

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Making sure your TP is replaced from the previous season!!!! Lol my season openers for 2 seasons have been cut short or I was missing one of my socks......
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 am

Make lists and check them off 2, 3, 4 times!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Coolhandluke

Unread postby Coolhandluke » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:54 am

If you have a scent elimination routine like me I know I often find myself wishing I had sat certain items outside sooner to air out such as decoys, boots etc. spray them down and let them sit out or pack them in dirt. Much better than sitting in the garage next to a gas can.

Nothing worse than having all your clothes clean then having to compromise with a piece of gear you forgot to clean up.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 am

I found a bed in the spring that I wanted to hunt this fall and I picked a tree out about 70 yards from the bed. The problem though is there's grapevines, saplings, and the forest floor is covered with sticks & leaves that would make it almost impossible to get to that tree without alerting the buck so I ended up going back at the beginning of August and raked a 2 foot wide path about 125 yards from my tree out to my entry spot. I cleared all of the sticks, leaves, etc. I'm sure there will be some new debris on it when I go to hunt it this fall but it will be manageable at least.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:23 am

Coolhandluke wrote:If you have a scent elimination routine like me I know I often find myself wishing I had sat certain items outside sooner to air out such as decoys, boots etc. spray them down and let them sit out or pack them in dirt. Much better than sitting in the garage next to a gas can.

Nothing worse than having all your clothes clean then having to compromise with a piece of gear you forgot to clean up.

I'm not sure it makes much of a difference... 8-)
Coolhandluke

Unread postby Coolhandluke » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:25 am

Primetime41 wrote:
Coolhandluke wrote:If you have a scent elimination routine like me I know I often find myself wishing I had sat certain items outside sooner to air out such as decoys, boots etc. spray them down and let them sit out or pack them in dirt. Much better than sitting in the garage next to a gas can.

I'm not sure it makes much of a difference... 8-)

Not looking to start a scent debate just offering a friendly reminder for us who are scent conscious. Trust me a stinky decoy spooks them fast.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 am

Permethrin treating your clothes and boots.
Batteries/charged headlamp
Lining up taxidermist for out of state hunts, especially with a lot of the new cwd regs
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:25 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Permethrin treating your clothes and boots.
Batteries/charged headlamp
Lining up taxidermist for out of state hunts, especially with a lot of the new cwd regs

Nice thinking.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
But dozer
Facebook: Aaron Johnson

Unread postby But dozer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:47 pm

I am a first year beast Hunter but seems like since scouting like crazy this spring, it's helped me while I'm even taking a crap to look through notes on my phone and remind myself which wind works for which spot and maybe more importantly which wind to stay out!! But every spare second you get, think about how you're going to get where you're going quietly and give yourself a shot opportunity
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 am

Last season I forgot to put my thermacell in my bag because its out of my bag later in the season. That’s the only real change in my gear except clothing.

That was an epic mistake. Opening day 90 degrees Hunting on an oxbow I paddled 2. I was eaten alive and trying not to swat the entire time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”