Ozarks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muskieman

Ozarks?

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

Staying at Big Cedar on Table Rock lake with wife for 10 yr anniversary..... However the drive from Springfield to here was great.... Looked like big buck country. Anyone hunt this area? Big bucks? I kept saying to wife that ridge probably is good hunting, she wasn't amused....lol.

basspro05
500 Club

Re: Ozarks?

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:59 am

Man that’s beautiful country. I’ve been at silver dollar city twice during peak rut...hotel on the side of a ridge...let’s just say I’ve almost wandered away from the family vacation a few times :lol:
Ill_make_you_famous

Unread postby Ill_make_you_famous » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm

I’m originally from an hour east of Springfield. Ozark mountains are home to me. There’s good bucks down there, just not the numbers as, say Kansas or north Mo. I don’t know if it’s because of lack of ag or the poaching or a little of both. Beautiful country for sure. My brother sends me videos every fall when he’s driving through Branson of bucks on the golf courses.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:17 pm

I bet... See user name had basspro in it...We went to Bass Pro and did the tour they have. I was impressed. Lots of cool mounts and artifacts with some outstanding fish displays. Plus all the mounts to make it feel real, wow!!
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Ill_make_you_famous wrote:I’m originally from an hour east of Springfield. Ozark mountains are home to me. There’s good bucks down there, just not the numbers as, say Kansas or north Mo. I don’t know if it’s because of lack of ag or the poaching or a little of both. Beautiful country for sure. My brother sends me videos every fall when he’s driving through Branson of bucks on the golf courses.

I noticed the lack of ag. However it looked like land where a buck could grow big, real big.... Those ridges where huge!
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 am

I live in Springfield but hunt usually an hour north of Springfield. Deer density is relatively low but mature buck #'s are relatively high. I get on a few pretty big bucks every year that'd be considered big anywhere
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:23 am

I'm an Ozark's native raised in Taney Co. (Branson area), and still hunt down there fairly often on my family's land and the surrounding private & public (Mark Twain). There are definitely mature deer down there, but they seem to be few and far between according to what we catch on our trail cams. (We've actually had more black bears on camera this summer than mature bucks though)...and as I'm sure you've already seen it's pretty much ALL big timber hill country so it's definitely challenging. I was fortunate enough to take my biggest buck on my family's land last November though!
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

One place I hunt is 20 min south of springield. Yes ther are some very large bucks in that part of the state!
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:56 am

I lived in Springfield for a few years and am from further south in the Ozarks from down into Arkansas.

There are decent deer if they get old, but they aren't what I would consider "big" and that's probably because I've lived in Kansas too. The habitat just doesn't have the nutrition to get the deer real big. I always joke that the deer in those parts eat pine cones and rocks. :lol: Still beautiful country. You can deer hunt in the morning and fish for trout in the afternoon. Good turkey hunting too.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:07 am

Abishai wrote:I lived in Springfield for a few years and am from further south in the Ozarks from down into Arkansas.

There are decent deer if they get old, but they aren't what I would consider "big" and that's probably because I've lived in Kansas too. The habitat just doesn't have the nutrition to get the deer real big. I always joke that the deer in those parts eat pine cones and rocks. :lol: Still beautiful country. You can deer hunt in the morning and fish for trout in the afternoon. Good turkey hunting too.

Agriculture has really taken off to the east, west, and north of Springfield the last few years. I don't spend much time to the south so I'm not sure about it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”