Exit Routes From Points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Exit Routes From Points

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 pm

In your experience, when a mature buck is bedded on a point, how does he leave the point most often - along the 1/3, down to the bottom, up the spine of the ridge....?? I do understand that other factors come into play, but let's say you have never visited the area and have to make a choice, how are you setting up?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Ranger Matthews

Re: Exit Routes From Points

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Tough to say. Every point has different cover and terrain. He will have a minimum of two exits. Sit in the bed and imagine someone is coming to kill you. Now think where you would run. This should give you a pretty good idea of what way feels safest.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:11 am

Its always a tough decision and a great discussion.

I'd say drop off the point and 1/3 side exits. I have occasionally found tracks and scat leaving beds up the spine or up wind but obviously it would take a good cross wind cheat to pull that hunt off. Even so I still see them exit the bed left/right first, walk same elevation for short time to scent check, then go up wind.

First time in a new place I like being on same elevation, as tight as possible.

Looking forward to more input from others
But dozer
Facebook: Aaron Johnson

Unread postby But dozer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:29 am

I'm interested in this question also, seems like even if you find a bed on a point, get the right wind to sit it, you still have to get lucky enough to have him walk by your setup instead of going the other 2-3 directions he could possibly go. I don't think I'm qualified to start offering advice here yet but seems to me that taking a long look at what surrounds the point should give you a guess at where he's going. Crop fields or acorns, water, does. Etc.

I don't mean to hijack but to add a question on to the OP, has anyone seen evidence of a buck on a point getting up and wandering the spine of the ridge eating acorns even though his evening destination is a Field on the bottom of the hill? That's actually my only hope for killing a buck at certain spots I have due to land ownership or just sheer terrain limitations..
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:58 am

Dependent on sign surrounding the point. Rub line, tracks, turds etc. If there's a scrape within 200 yards of a bedding point, best believe he's checking/freshening that on his way out. Early season think direction of food and correlate sign. Closer to rut think direction of does. It's really a guessing game unless you have sign or observations that tip you off.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”