QUESTION ABOUT SCENT THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN DISCUSSED

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

QUESTION ABOUT SCENT THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN DISCUSSED

Unread postby Bman409 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 pm

I hunt in upstate NY where the gun season comes in around the middle of Nov. I grew up hunting in PA where the gun season always came in the Monday after Thanksgiving. The point is, it was often cold weather! Sometimes even snowy.

Now after watching some videos and reading discussion about thermals, it got me thinking about something I've never heard anyone mention. What if you put a small heater (propane or sterno can, etc) under your seat on your tree stand. This would of course provide some warmth, but wouldn't that also create a fairly strong localized thermal current that would surround you and push your scent another 10, maybe 20 feet up in to the air ? If you're already up the tree 18 feet, that would have the effect of keeping your scent off the ground for quite some distance, I would think.

has anyone ever tried this?

On the other hand, I guess I can stand on the ground in my driveway and still smell smoke from my chimney most of the time.... Just something I thought I would ask because I've never heard it talked about.

Thanks!!!

Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SCENT THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN DISCUSSED

Unread postby Bman409 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm

sorry about the all caps.. Didn't mean to do that
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Bman409 wrote:I hunt in upstate NY where the gun season comes in around the middle of Nov. I grew up hunting in PA where the gun season always came in the Monday after Thanksgiving. The point is, it was often cold weather! Sometimes even snowy.

Now after watching some videos and reading discussion about thermals, it got me thinking about something I've never heard anyone mention. What if you put a small heater (propane or sterno can, etc) under your seat on your tree stand. This would of course provide some warmth, but wouldn't that also create a fairly strong localized thermal current that would surround you and push your scent another 10, maybe 20 feet up in to the air ? If you're already up the tree 18 feet, that would have the effect of keeping your scent off the ground for quite some distance, I would think.

On the other hand, I guess I can stand on the ground in my driveway and still smell smoke from my chimney most of the time.... Just something I thought I would ask because I've never heard it talked about.

Thanks!!!

I think the cold outside air would quickly mitigate any effect of the small heater you would have. I have some bad boy outdoor propane heaters that run off of 20 gal tanks at work. We use them for the occasional social occasion out on our patio during the fall. I believe each one is 50,000 BTU. When its cold outside you can stand just a few feet away from them and not even know they were there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Bman409 wrote:I hunt in upstate NY where the gun season comes in around the middle of Nov. I grew up hunting in PA where the gun season always came in the Monday after Thanksgiving. The point is, it was often cold weather! Sometimes even snowy.

Thanks!!!

I think you answered your own question. It would probably help in the right conditions. But if the thermals are pulling down. They'll pull the slightly warmer air too. Maybe not as close to the tree. But sooner or later it'll get pulled down.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”