Diversity in farm country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lukepalmer2010

Diversity in farm country

Unread postby Lukepalmer2010 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Hey guys, needing some help. I’ve got a two day out of state hunt planned for Missouri come opener in September. I’ve got to put boots on the ground for about 3 hours a month ago and this is what I think I found. I know how there’s a ton of guys here that are great at looking at a map and dissecting it, hopefully I’ll figure it out eventually, lol.

Im thinking it’s converging tree lines, water, great bedding and after I put boots on the ground found a good patch persimmon trees that should be great come come mid September. The red marks are spots where I found mature buck tracks and beds. Yellow is where I think they bed, green is my potential setup, red dotted line is a dried up canal covered in persimmon trees. And in the zoomed out pic the yellow dotted line is field corn with not any real topo changes in it. Most all the other fields were last years corn or bean fields that have grown up this year.

So thoughts on ghilie suits, will that corn being 400 yds away affect deer bedding or travel, which is better setting up an a trail in the persimmon and pray I pick the right one or sit the field and shoot a specific spot on the pond? What’s yalls thought?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cspot
500 Club

Re: Diversity in farm country

Unread postby cspot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I will let the experts chime in, but what is the blue mark on the screen? Are the dark black spots water? Looks like 3 small ponds and looks like you found buck beds by 2?
Lukepalmer2010

Unread postby Lukepalmer2010 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Yes sir those dark spots are water as well as that blue mark it just didn’t show up real well on onX. The southwest red mark was where I jumped a buck out of his bed and the other up by that pond was a funnel that leads into that pond where I cut some large tracks, but with no trees was thinking about sitting in the field. I’ve heard the hunting public boys talk about bucks bedding on the backs of them pond dikes. So that yellow around that southeast pond is hypothetical. The fields are grown up to about 4’ -5’ or so.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:25 am

I saw a 200lb spike in there one time

Persimmons wont be ripe around here until later.

I will gladly share a few things if you want to PM me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”