Improving on Distance Judging

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Widgeon

Improving on Distance Judging

Unread postby Widgeon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:26 am

I am a minimalist, taking as little as possible with me bowhunting. But thinking about a cheap range finder to sharpen my distance estimating skills. I spend some time online measuring distances I know from the lay of the land in the field. Occasionally I find myself off by 4-7+/- yards, which surprises me. Different situations can play tricks with my eyes, especially small openings in thickets and thick stuff and then open woodlands with shadows and a canopy. One thing I do when I get in a stand it do a quick judge of distances from trees, objects, etc. in case a deer shows up. But thinking about a rangefinder to fine tune that. Does anyone else do this?

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Improving on Distance Judging

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:32 am

I don't use a range finder, but what I do, do is shoot archery targets at my club in woods. The woods is the same setting as when I'm hunting. Only difference is that I'm on the ground. Our archery range is hilly and has up and down shooting which can really play tricks on distance with you. To learn distance it's important to practice at all different distances, but know what your comfort zone is. I don't shoot over 30 yards if though I'm confident out to 50 on the range.

My best suggestion is practice like you play. After awhile it becomes second nature.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:58 am

I bring a range finder. I'm not very good at distance estimation either. A multi-pin sight can get you close in estimating though. If you know what the distance between pins at certain ranges equates to, you can estimate. It's a trick I learned from using mil-dot rifle scopes.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 am

Unless you are shooting a super heavy arrow or a super slow bow, you should be able to shoot a single pin to 30 yds with minimal adjustment in point of aim. What I like to do, if possible, when approaching a tree I'm going to hunt, make a mark in the ground with my boot and then pace off and count the steps to the tree. Then I have a "scale" after I'm in the stand, from the base of the tree to the mark i've made. One slightly exaggerated stride is 1 yard for me. Range finders are nice but far from a necessity when you are shooting short distances. It's probably 50/50 whether I bring one or not.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 am

I use rangefinder to identify 30 yard trees, rocks, etc around my stand. I shoot a low poundage and somewhat heavy arrow and 30 yards is the max I will shoot at an animal.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 am

If it's legal where you are, grab some field points and go out to an area you're thinking about hunting in the future and stump shoot. You'll find your range estimation will improve greatly and you'll not only have saved some cash on an unneeded accessory but you'll probably find some good areas to focus on next year. ;)
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 am

Oops, ldouble post :whistle:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:36 am

I do pretty well estimating yardage on the fly but bring my rangefinder hunting and scan landmarks around my tree to get a shot zone distance so when a buck shows up I already know the exact range. Rarely would I have enough time to range a deer right before a shot. Way too much extra movement. To stay sharp I always guess the yardage first before ranging. It’s amazing how close you can get with regular practice.

On a side note. I’m kinda surprised more and more clubs are marking yardage at 3D tournaments. Seems to me that people are relying more and more on making things easier. The whole purpose of these shoots is to simulate real hunting situations. Estimating yardage is part of that. Wasn’t too long ago that rangefinders were strictly prohibited.
Widgeon

Unread postby Widgeon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:34 am

I appreciated all of the responses. I would really just want to be super proficient at that skill as I considered it good woodsmanship for archery. I shoot a Bowtec reign, speed and trajectory isn't really an issue. If I am off 5 yards with a single pin sight, inside of 35 your only talking a couple inches at the point of impact. Haven't had time to shoot any 3D this summer with kids and work and so on. My practice is in the back yard once the kids are in bed for 15 minutes or before work at first light.

But I agree, giving out yardage in 3D defeats the purpose.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:04 am

Im always pacing off yardage. Taking guesses then pacing it off to see how close I am. I'm never more than five yards off, and anything under 30 I'm usually within two or three. Never seen much reason for a rangefinder for the kind of places I hunt in. I only need to know if something is more than 30 yards, then I'm not shooting, so that makes it easy. I've always felt a rangefinder is hurting more than helping for a lot of people because it is replacing a skill that we possess that can be very accurate if we use it and work on it more often. So if you always use the rangefinder your not utilizing our built in one and making it less reliable.

Of course there is always the argument that people have that the rangefinder helps them judge distance by taking a guess first then confirmation with the rangefinder. I can't speak to that, maybe. Just not for me, I got enough stuff to worry about, don't need another gadget hanging around my neck.

I do however make mental notes of objects at various distances while in stand. In likely spots where I expect a deer to present a shot.

I have a single pin slider that is set to just over 20 yards. Anything that is 25 yards and under I just aim where I want the arrow to go, when it's out at 30 I'm holding about 4 inches high. For me that works, and there ain't much to think about in the moment of truth that way.

It seems like 3d courses should be a good way to work on judging distance. I haven't been to one in a while but seems to me that a rangefinder almost defeats the purpose of that kind of practicing.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:06 am

While I do carry a rangefinder while hunting, on the 3D course and even in the woods I break down the distance to the target into 15 yard increments. When I see that the target is 15 yards past the first 15 yards, I know I need to be using my 30 yard pin to be spot on.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 am

I don't like going in the woods with out a range finder. I have a cheap one but it has helped me kill alot of deer. First thing I do as soon as I get in my stand is range everything.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am

Dewey wrote:I do pretty well estimating yardage on the fly but bring my rangefinder hunting and scan landmarks around my tree to get a shot zone distance so when a buck shows up I already know the exact range. Rarely would I have enough time to range a deer right before a shot. Way too much extra movement. To stay sharp I always guess the yardage first before ranging. It’s amazing how close you can get with regular practice.

On a side note. I’m kinda surprised more and more clubs are marking yardage at 3D tournaments. Seems to me that people are relying more and more on making things easier. The whole purpose of these shoots is to simulate real hunting situations. Estimating yardage is part of that. Wasn’t too long ago that rangefinders were strictly prohibited.

This is how I operate as well, test my yardage on trees and keep a mental note so I don't have to mess around with ranging things at the moment of truth.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 am

I prefer to bring a range finder. In normal moderately thick woods my range estimation is usually really good. In open woods, or even worse in open cattails/ marsh grass I'm more likely to be off, especially at longer distances.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 am

Widgeon wrote:I appreciated all of the responses. I would really just want to be super proficient at that skill as I considered it good woodsmanship for archery. I shoot a Bowtec reign, speed and trajectory isn't really an issue. If I am off 5 yards with a single pin sight, inside of 35 your only talking a couple inches at the point of impact. Haven't had time to shoot any 3D this summer with kids and work and so on. My practice is in the back yard once the kids are in bed for 15 minutes or before work at first light.

But I agree, giving out yardage in 3D defeats the purpose.

Practice at home shooting from a tree. Generally I can tell how far the shot is based on the tilt of the bow

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”