Improving on Distance Judging

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Improving on Distance Judging

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54 am

If you want to hunt without a rangefinder. Buy one any way, and use it on 3D targets. But guess and shoot the range 1st. Then check the distance with the range finder after the shot.

Whether you use one for hunting or not depends on what's more important to you. Making sure you have exact yardage each and every time. Or judging distance without one as just part of the hunting process/experience.

I think everyone should practice judging yardage at least a little. You never know when a deer may go through where you haven't ranged.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I tried shooting 3-d unranged for the first time this weekend. Lost 4 arrows, and realized how much I need a range finder.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 pm

I practiced yardage estimation more a few seasons back. It can be done almost anywhere and takes no extra time. Sharpen your skills for killing and possibly safety when turned around somewhere.

You can find a way that is good for you. What I did was find my steps to 10 yards. Which in a relaxed walk, in grassy terrain equals 12 steps. So then everything related to my 10 yard base. By keeping it fairly simple I was taking a quick guess throughout my hikes and hunts.
Like most of the beast tips you pick up, it won't put a booner in the truck. But over time those little things turn into big change.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm

I also use a yardage finder. Usually just to get the feel of distances around my set. I played a lot of football so ten, 20 yards is engrained in my head. Years ago when I was starting to really bow hunt, I would take paracord at a length of 25 yards tie to empty water jug and let it drag behind me. It’s crazy how 25 yards can look different area to area.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm

I started shooting the ezv sight this year. It is the answer to my shooting and yardage issues. Look it up. For me, it’s everything people claim it to be.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:39 pm

My sight isnt set up for yardage per se but for paces. First pin 12 paces 2nd pin 18 etc. When I'm shooting or hunting I'm always looking at trees in my path and guessing the number of paces to the tree. Its a good way to reinforce my distance judging. The one place I tend to fall short is open fields where there arent multiple points of reference. In those situations a rangefinder would be helpful.

Interesting idea to use your pins to judge range. How is that done?
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 pm

This might sound dumb, but I just relate yardage estimates to a football field. Pretty accurate up to 35-40 yards, which is about the max I could throw a ball now without killing my shoulder. It helps that I throw alot with my nephews and run with my daughter at our local field. I do carry a rangefinder, but practice without one at home.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 am

I bring a rangefinder.
I've had several bucks I shot under trying to field judge.

My bow is not super fast.
I'm pretty good at judging distance out to 30 yards but it's really hard to tell the difference between 40 and 50 in most terrains. 40 yards is where a rangefinder really shines.

My maximum shot is 40.

As far as 3d using a rangefinder doesnt bother me. Their are still plenty of obstacles to shoot around or through. And the 12 ring size has been reduced to the size of a quarter where I shoot 3d. Theirs plenty of deceiving and tough shots even with a rangefinder.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”