Deer and Flashlights

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Deer and Flashlights

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:16 pm

I’ve heard THP talk about flashlights (any color) not spooking whitetails. What has your experience proven?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Deer and Flashlights

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 pm

White light does spook mature bucks. We used to shine fields down from the house growing up the bucks either ran or duck down. Deer can see white and they see the movement of the beam.

The younger bucks will stare for awhile and occasionally a mature buck will. I wouldn't say they are calm just because they don't run away immediately.

I love the hunting public but it's crazy to me they would think a white light has no negative impact.

Red light or green light I think is best even those the beam movement could be seen.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Stanley wrote:Yes deer can see a flashlight. Don't know how anyone could think they can't.

Stan was much wiser than me, and I think about this post often. Those who were around when Stan was here might enjoy his thoughts on the topic.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:14 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:
Stanley wrote:Yes deer can see a flashlight. Don't know how anyone could think they can't.

Stan was much wiser than me, and I think about this post often. Those who were around when Stan was here might enjoy his thoughts on the topic.

Stan was a very intelligent hunter and great person I do miss his wisdom.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:50 pm

I think a lot has to do with the deer's age, distance of light source from the deer, associated noise with light and if the light is shining at them or not. On multiple occasions, I've walked through the open woods, marshes and fields for many, many yards with my light aimed down and in front of me before stopping and scanning my light around the area only to see deer eyes in the distance, presumable watching me pass as a non-threat. On other occasions, I've unknowingly walked directly toward deer and got to withing 20 yards or less before noticing them in front of me. I believe as long as you're moving, not talking and not shining the light directly into their eyes, they tend to be more accepting of it.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 pm

I think what they mean is that it's a tradeoff. That they'll put up with the deer potentially seeing the light if it makes them quieter in their access or setups in the dark. Basically trading a quick sight disturbance for reducing the noise disturbance as they get closer to deer.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm

I think they see it and will accept ot if you're not spotlighting them on your way to the stand. But... if Im hunting in the a.m. Im picking an access route where Im not crossing paths with the deer I am hunting. Being able to see and make less noise is more important.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Most hunters are using far too much light. You only need a small dim light to see 5 to 10 foot in front of you... and keep it focused on the ground not scanning the woods. If you have a lot of coon hunters that run around in middle of the night then deer tend to acclimate to it and not blow out of an area as much as those locations where night intrusion seldom happens. Personally I like a very dim red lens light to get in and set up - I don't need anything brighter than that even when going in blind. Slow down, take your time and trust your GPS.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Most hunters are using far too much light. You only need a small dim light to see 5 to 10 foot in front of you... and keep it focused on the ground not scanning the woods. If you have a lot of coon hunters that run around in middle of the night then deer tend to acclimate to it and not blow out of an area as much as those locations where night intrusion seldom happens. Personally I like a very dim red lens light to get in and set up - I don't need anything brighter than that even when going in blind. Slow down, take your time and trust your GPS.

Any recommendations for a red light? I have a few, but they are way too dim.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 am

Mine are all dim? I do have a white light (on same unit) I can use around the truck.... but I really do not like to do it as it kills night vision (what little we have). This is the one I am currently using, I bought 5 or 6 at one time keeping with my theory that if I like something they will stop making it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007 ... UTF8&psc=1
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:08 am

A lot of times if you are moving the deer will just sit and watch you, countless times I have been walking with a light and then pause for a bit only to hear a deer take off. The same happens when walking through the woods, if you are moving those deer will lay there and watch you, pause or stop and they get nervous and think you might see them and they bust out.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:34 am

simpzenith wrote:I think a lot has to do with the deer's age, distance of light source from the deer, associated noise with light and if the light is shining at them or not. On multiple occasions, I've walked through the open woods, marshes and fields for many, many yards with my light aimed down and in front of me before stopping and scanning my light around the area only to see deer eyes in the distance, presumable watching me pass as a non-threat. On other occasions, I've unknowingly walked directly toward deer and got to withing 20 yards or less before noticing them in front of me. I believe as long as you're moving, not talking and not shining the light directly into their eyes, they tend to be more accepting of it.

I've had the same experiences. I've use an extremely bright light (nitecore) when exiting the woods. I've had deer 30-40 yards from me. What spooked them is when I stopped and stared at them, no different than a truck stopping in daylight to look at deer in a field. However, I've never walked up on any mature bucks with the light. I don't know what they think of the light, but from my observations over the years, they are a lot less spooked by lights compared to other things.

I think THP looks at flashlights no different than beast members look at soft bumping deer. The deer don't know exactly what it is, so they are likely to come back if bumped out of there. It is more important to THP to find the optimal route to their spot in the dark. Unnatural noise and leaving unnecessary scent are more detrimental than the flashlights, at least that's what I think THP is saying.

Like I've said, I'm a noob with some of these beast hunting tactics, but these are just some of my observations over years of hunting.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 am

This topic comes up a lot.

Do you walk around in the woods waving the light all over the place? If you do - STOP doing that. If you are worried about getting shot - then go waving the light around.

A 40 or 50 lumen headlamp pointed at the ground will get you where you are going and be hardly noticeable to deer or people. I walk up on animals - the light doesn't scare em if it is pointed at the ground.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am

headgear wrote:A lot of times if you are moving the deer will just sit and watch you, countless times I have been walking with a light and then pause for a bit only to hear a deer take off. The same happens when walking through the woods, if you are moving those deer will lay there and watch you, pause or stop and they get nervous and think you might see them and they bust out.

I’ve experienced that a lot actually. Makes sense that they would react the same way with or without a light.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 am

Rich M wrote:This topic comes up a lot.

Do you walk around in the woods waving the light all over the place? If you do - STOP doing that. If you are worried about getting shot - then go waving the light around.

A 40 or 50 lumen headlamp pointed at the ground will get you where you are going and be hardly noticeable to deer or people. I walk up on animals - the light doesn't scare em if it is pointed at the ground.

Keeping the light low and at a steady pace seem to be the common factors in being non-threatening. Good post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”