Do’s and Dont’s of hunting ravines/draws

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Do’s and Dont’s of hunting ravines/draws

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:46 am

What are your general rules for hunting above or in a ravine/draws? I have seen bucks walk through them (down one side and up there other) and around them. Seen them bed on sides and bed on top. I couldn’t remember discerning a particular reason why they were doing any of those movements.

I guess my main deal is to not hunt them in ways that my scent flow is to the deer. For example, I try to hunt them such that thermals are carrying my scent away from the direction they are coming. Although having done this, I have been busted after they walked past....you have to be careful about this and sometimes it’s a pick your poison type deal. Sometimes they react and sometimes they don’t. It’s better if you have some wind to carry your scent to one side or the other.

I like ravines because they help to direct deer movement and they can make great observation stands.
What are your general experiences with hunting these terrain features?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
brancher147
500 Club

Re: Do’s and Dont’s of hunting ravines/draws

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 am

I generally prefer to hunt them in the morning on the east side of a ridge where I can get rising thermals. The thermal rise can be very dramatic in these steep draws and on a sunny day will usually blow the leaves on the trees and overpower the actual wind. Most of the west side around me faces almost NW and very hard to get a rising thermal or any consistent wind-it mostly just swirls. But I like to hunt mornings, east side, upper 1/3 just above the first bench or partial flat and the steeper the better. They must also connect bedding for me to hunt it. I usually hunt it when bucks are cruising and they will take the first easy flat area above a deep ravine to cruise between bedding.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 am

I like the wind/thermals blowing down the draw. Idk if it helps or it doesnt. It just seems to tumble around in it and they cant pin point. Iv had deer gross 75yds down and not scent me (younger bucks/does) then come straight to me. I honestly dont know why, maybe I have just gotten lucky. Ill sit a draw all day if its great.

If its too steep and they aren't crossing then its great bc they will walk the sides up and around the draw at the top. Perfect shot opportunity and scent free. I like that setup w a pond at the top close to bedding. Or maybe there is bedding close and acorns on the tops. My favorite draw spot is between two main doe bedding areas. It can be difficult to slip in unless its peak of the rut tho.

Generally I just setup wherever the mature buck sign is. Could be rubs or a track. Sometimes they cooperate, sometimes they don't. I think if they havent gotten the does scent trail or eyes on them, bucks should follow their routes. They laid the sign for a reason. One great buck i shot and lost cooperated like this. Got a 2am pic in the middle of a field in mid Oct, found his rubs in the timber on the top side of the best doe bedding, setup and waited all day. He didnt start cruising until about 430ish. His sign was at higher elevations while younger bucks were lower.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:48 am

I have found the tops to be great cruising areas during the rut. Especially when you have doe bedding on either side. One thing I’ve observed with does coming down one side or the other is they will mill around early and even bed down for 30 minutes or so before moving on.

One thing live learned from the Beast is letting the milkweed determine which side of the draw to hunt when I’m not on the top or bottoms.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:55 pm

I like to come up steep draws from the bottom in the afternoon. I pick a wind direction that blows away from the bedding and set up below where I expect the deer to cross at top of the ditch. I do it so the evening thermals pull my scent into the ditch.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 pm

This is great I’ve had about 3 different questions tonight and there had been a thread on every one of them. I had the same question in hunting a draw so I’m definitely following.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”