EHD found in Clark County, Indiana - MY county

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

EHD found in Clark County, Indiana - MY county

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 am

Just read where DNR confirmed a case of a deer in the county I live and mostly hunt in. Not sure what area of Clark County. What are the chances of it spreading throughout the area?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Redman232

Re: EHD found in Clark County, Indiana - MY county

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 am

Great!!!(100 % sarcasm) I knew a confirmed case was coming, I assumed it would be in the north portion of the state first, lots of deer farms. So will you continue to consume venison? Without historical testing on harvested deer, I've just assumed it has been here for a long time.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 am

This was inevitable. There has been a sharp uptick this summer in reports of finding deer dead in water sources, and most of the reports have originated in the southern half of the state. I know that I have heard of suspected cases this year in Morgan and Monroe counties where I hunt. Hopefully we don't get hit as hard this year as we did in 2007 and 2012 with EHD/blue tongue.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 am

Redman232 wrote:Great!!!(100 % sarcasm) I knew a confirmed case was coming, I assumed it would be in the north portion of the state first, lots of deer farms. So will you continue to consume venison? Without historical testing on harvested deer, I've just assumed it has been here for a long time.

Are you thinking about CWD?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 am

EHD is fickle. We've been dealing with it almost yearly here in Iowa. It is so spotty that even in "hot" counties 1 case can be on farm A and a mile away on farm B all the deer are healthy. My suggestion is not to stress over it because there is nothing you can do about it.

The disease can be transmitted deer to deer as midges bite an infected deer and then bite another deer. IMO most deer dont die from it, but what do I know? Last year, or the year before, my buck and a doe I killed had 2 severely inflamed feet. That's usually typical of a deer that survived the disease.

I do wish you good luck and hope it doesn't affect too many deer.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 am

milkweed-militia wrote:
Redman232 wrote:Great!!!(100 % sarcasm) I knew a confirmed case was coming, I assumed it would be in the north portion of the state first, lots of deer farms. So will you continue to consume venison? Without historical testing on harvested deer, I've just assumed it has been here for a long time.

Are you thinking about CWD?

Yes, yes I was. (Face in palm)
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 am

EHD is hitting parts of Iowa real bad!
So far my area in the fine.......fingers crossed
The Spirit Lives On
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 am

We deal with it every 5-7 years. Yes it will spread until the first hard frost. The frost kill the fly that spreads it.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

It can be nasty....but its often spotty. Like was said, EHD is from a midge that bites deer. From my reading, it's attracted to blood....and bucks shedding velvet are unfortunately for hunters, hit the hardest. She we've seen it, we never found dead doe. Always buck and always partially velvet shed. And seems to hit the bigger racks harder.....it's weird. One year my buddy dropped a nice 8. After he dropped him, a bigger buck took off..as we drug it out, we found a slammer..dead..some velvet still left on the antlers. Came back a few months later and I couldn't count the number of bucks I saw. I shot a good 8. Had a couple bigger bucks get by as well as a number of smaller bucks. All from the same area...but we found atleast 1 dead and IMO an EHD kill based on the evidence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”