Don’t beat yourself up!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: Don’t beat yourself up!

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Lockdown wrote:Here’s some food for thought.

If you hang back too far you won’t kill anything.
If you push too far you won’t kill anything.

What’s the major difference? If you hang too far back, you walk back to the truck wondering if anyone was home...

That feeling makes me sad :lol:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Great post LD!

I have been in both situations these last couple years. It can sometimes be a fine line. But every time I've bumped a deer (going for it), I've questioned why he was there, and what sign I might have missed telling me why. Both of my mature buck encounters last season were big moves, on first sits. I still think I go the conservative path too often, but I'm getting better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 pm

8-)

Good post LD.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Lockdown wrote:I think it would benefit some people to go out and bump deer on purpose. They won’t leave forever. I’ve had many hunts where I’ve bumped deer accessing my stand, very near my stand, and still had a great hunt. It has happened to me several years in a row, and will probably happen again this year.

It might sound crazy, but for those who are really struggling, it might be a good thing to keep skirting bedding until you kick something up... then set up!

Thoughts?

I think dan mentioned this but I would also like to mention it too. I think too many hunters start out trying to be stone cold trophy buck killers from the start. I think when we learn to kill, harvest some does, and shoot some bucks we can graduate to the next level. Growing and maturing as a hunter is a process that can only happen through experience. Making mistakes is part of the learning process we all must go through. At the plant i work at i told an older worker when he was showing me a new/old method for testing that I can watch you a hundred times do something, but until I put my hands on it and do it myself I haven't learned a thing. So in terms of hunting we can listen and watch all the videos and podcasts, read magazines, and take advice from others. but until we apply the information we obtain and make those mistakes we never really grow and learn.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Yep great topic, every buck you bust out of a bed or completely mess up on is a learning opportunity. You are 100% going to mess up and bust some deer out of the beds, just expect and see what you can learn from it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:24 am

Lockdown. :handgestures-thumbup:

Look at the big picture. What did that bump teach you about that spot for tomorrow, next week, next month, next year!!!! About that particular buck!

Seeing, bumping a mature buck always has a good side!!!! After you throw your bow! Calm down and analyze things. ;) :lol: :think:

At least that's what I'm gonna try and tell myself!!! :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:20 am

Anyone want to guess how many times the big predators fail? Just watch some cheetahs, lions, leopards for a while and it is apparent that all predators fail - the one that survive are the ones that learn and adapt.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 am

What’s the major difference? If you hang too far back, you walk back to the truck wondering if anyone was home...

Exactly yoda!

A hunter new to this has to find their buffer zone and by that I mean how far can they push. The only way to find that is by experience and bumping deer.

My first year I would hang back way to far, is anyone home?

Second year I readjusted during spring scouting and started bumping that season but it was like 40% of the time mean while the other 60% I was wondering if anyone was home.

Third year I dove in, methodical entry and exit routes during the off season. I didn’t care if I bumped anymore, I was sick of not knowing. I started seeing my target buck and hearing deer rise from their beds.

4th year I learned what my gut was telling me and that is what I call my buffer zone. I had my target opening day in bow range, on my 3rd sit at last light, on my 6th set, and once during the rut (that doesn’t count for this)

It takes time and a lot of messing up and at the end of the day it’s just a deer, life goes on, and there’s another somewhere else.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 am

tbunao wrote:

Exactly yoda!

A hunter new to this has to find their buffer zone and by that I mean how far can they push. The only way to find that is by experience and bumping deer.

My first year I would hang back way to far, is anyone home?

Second year I readjusted during spring scouting and started bumping that season but it was like 40% of the time mean while the other 60% I was wondering if anyone was home.

Third year I dove in, methodical entry and exit routes during the off season. I didn’t care if I bumped anymore, I was sick of not knowing. I started seeing my target buck and hearing deer rise from their beds.

4th year I learned what my gut was telling me and that is what I call my buffer zone. I had my target opening day in bow range, on my 3rd sit at last light, on my 6th set, and once during the rut (that doesn’t count for this)

It takes time and a lot of messing up and at the end of the day it’s just a deer, life goes on, and there’s another somewhere else.

:clap:

It takes time. We all want success this year, but there’s a learning curve no doubt. Nobody can teach you the recipe for success for YOUR situation. It takes time, patience, determination, and an open mind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Anyone want to guess how many times the big predators fail? Just watch some cheetahs, lions, leopards for a while and it is apparent that all predators fail - the one that survive are the ones that learn and adapt.

That is the perfect analogy. When they’re young and inefficient they may try stalking in difficult terrain. They get impatient and give chase too soon. They expend energy on prey that is difficult to take down because it’s too big or too fast. Like you said Dave, experience teaches them to adapt.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:06 am

Great post! :clap:

Get out there, screw up, kill deer, have fun and live life my friends. :D
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:14 am

This is a good post - too many folks forget that we learn how to do this stuff and not just read a book/website/listen to a podcast and "know" it.

The Beast has helped me tremendously in my hunting, I'm still gonna make mistakes and wonder where the buck went. Or miss - or make a bad shot at 16 yards. It happens. :oops:
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:42 am

Good Post! Swing for the fences!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”