2019-2020 BEAST Buck Lineup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowjitsu

Re: 2019-2020 BEAST Buck Lineup

Unread postby Bowjitsu » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am

9 point, New Years eve, Missouri, evening, 20 yards. From saddle at 36 feet. Compound. Private land. Cattle grazing.

Midday glassing showed group of does feeding under large oak still dropping. Huge tree, had been pouring down acorns in late October. I wounded an ~8 pointer right before gun season from the same tree (switched from mechanicals to fixed after). Saw the same confirmed 9 in a cousin's trail cam after gun season so knew he made it.

Decided to try and sneak out there and attempt to bushwack them and then use my saddle and steps to get up the tree for evening hunt. Known buck beds approx 200 yards away and approach this major food source, wind was right, tree is right next to best water on an abnormally hot New years eve (50s).

By the time I get to the tree does are long gone, set up at 35 feet with the saddle.

2 hrs later 2 bucks come out. I am in a large oak out at the tip of a finger of woods that extends off a 40 acre piece of hardwoods. Facing up the finger (11 oclock). Pond 30 yards away at 9 o clock. Small hill behind me (5 oclock). Small cedar at base of tree. Crossed field to get to tree from the 3 o'clock direction.

Bucks start working their way down the finger finding acorns left. Smaller 8 point is working his way in front of the larger 9 i had wounded previous. Wind is from 6 o clock to 7 o clock. Risky but I am very high in the tree and dropping milkweed and watching it create a tunnel many of tens of yards down wind.

Decide to wait for 9 point, but if he won't come in range take 8 point. The two bucks nose up to each other and spar for approx 30 seconds at 60 yards. Very cool!!

8 starts coming out towards my tree. He eats a few acorns, and works his way around the base of my tree. Hits my groundscent even though I wear mucks and walked through a creek and some cow pies on the way in... he blows, and sidles back up finger. Bumps 9 point and they are walking back away from me.

What I get for being greedy and/or wanting the fulfillment of finishing what I started in October. Last ditch hit the grunt call. There is a deer trail from woods far away at my 5 o'clock over the little hill. The buck can't see that direction due to little hill and the cedar tree at the base of my tree. No reaction. Wait. Wheeze, wheeze, PAUSE, grunt, GRUNT!

9 comes out ears back running. Usually grunt and wheeze not effective for me, but maybe the testosterone still in his system from sparring?

He is at 20 yards and circling my tree(s) and little hill looking for the buck that is calling at him.

20 yard hit. Little back but still got both lungs and maybe the liver?.. He runs back to the other deer and they get to the edge of the woods. I see blood streaming from his side. He falls, gets up, falls, stays. Give him 10 mins. Get out of stand and celebrate. First archery kill. Primal roar into great woods. Go to buck, gut, telecheck.

Getting him mounted, hopefully I can get him scored. No idea what range his rack is but I'm proud.

Loved every minute of this hunting season.

Been polishing my wild game cooking which has been huge for getting the fiancee on board with eating venison, my hunting gear habit, and time in the woods. Highly recommended the meat eater cook book. Tenderloin from this buck with cauliflower puree and balsamic glaze pic included.

Lots of close calls on public and private this season and felt great to finally connect. Learned a ton this season and during the off-season from the beast!

-Bowjitsu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am

Where's the 2019 Beast tribute video?
Is there one?
berwickbuckmaster

Unread postby berwickbuckmaster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:59 am

7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm

BJ99Robinson wrote:Where's the 2019 Beast tribute video?
Is there one?

Not yet but there should be one
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
BJ99Robinson wrote:Where's the 2019 Beast tribute video?
Is there one?

Not yet but there should be one

I agree made a forium post about this awhile back.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Cottonmouthcity
Facebook: James Hunt

Unread postby Cottonmouthcity » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:22 am

Caught this guy going back to bed late Sept last year. Not my biggest it is the first buck I killed on purpose.
Look sharp, act sharp, and be sharp, but don't be an idiot and cut yourself.
Birddog00

Unread postby Birddog00 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 am

The first weekend in October of 2019. All taken on northern Michigan public land. I took the 6 point first, I hadn't shot a buck at the cabin in years, and it was a fun hunt. I took down one of my trail cameras the next day and had three 8 points on camera in daylight. So I called my wife and said I have to stay for the evening hunt. I set up with fresh rubs all around my in a acorn flat, besr the bedding. The coyote moved through first and I made a 30yrd shot on him. I recovered my arrow and the coyote and threw them next to my tree. I just got back in the stand and hooked my safety harness back up, turned around and the 8 point was at 40yrds and closing. I stopped him at about 32yrds and took the shot as it started to rain harder. The shot looked like possible liver so I let him sit overnight. The next morning I had a few friends to help with the search. All the blood was gone but he did not go far, and we found him dead in his bed.
Birddog00

Unread postby Birddog00 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 am

I ended up driving down to ohio with the family the 3rd weekend in Oct, due to filling my Mi tags early. I had E scouted some public and went in solo with the wife and kids at the hotel. I only had friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning to hunt. After seen a nice buck when I got down on friday about 3/4 mile in, i made a plan for the morning. The buck and another nice buck did come by in the morning on to come to the base of my tree and catching my scent before i could take a shot. I was able to see the nine point go into the CRP disappearing into a thicket. I set up near the thicket in the afternoon and about 1 hr before dusk he made his way back past the tree I had picked out. My arrow flew true and I had my hands on a very nice public land ohio buck.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:37 am

Stuck this one on 10/18 @7:30 am
My heaviest buck ever @ 196.6lbs. dressed
Strong quartering away at 25 yds. Entered just in front of his right hind quarter and exited low in left brisket. 40 yd dash and tipped over.
HillCountry

Unread postby HillCountry » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Got this guy cruising at 13:15 on Nov 12th. Weighed 230lb dressed. Was pleasantly surprised when he grossed 158.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”