Is in season scouting the missing link?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Is in season scouting the missing link?

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 am

bass28 wrote:
xpauliber wrote:
botemple wrote:
botemple wrote:If I find hot sign while doing in season scouting. How long can you rely on that sign?

Maybe the better question is how long do you typically rely on that sign?

Something that I've started to do is carry a trail cam with me on hunts. If it's an area that I really like and know that I'm going to be back in at some point during the season, I'll hang a cam after the hunt and then retrieve that cam on my way deeper into the bottom the next time I hunt it. That way, you're not going back & forth multiple times to hunt and hang/retrieve the cam but you're still gaining intel.

Do you worry about camera flash/glow? Do you only use camera with no glow?

I have some older cameras andI am thinking of doing something similar this year but they do glow red when they take a picture. Hate to spend the money on new ones if it really makes no difference.

I use the cheapo $28.00 Tasco cams from Walmart and to be honest, I'm not sure what type of flash they have. When I'm hanging cams in season, I'm being pretty aggressive and just trying to get intel that a shooter buck is using that area NOW. If I get a good buck on cam, I'm moving in to the bedding areas that I scouted in the spring and looking for the fresh sign & setting up on it. I'm not necessarily trying to pattern a buck's travel with my cams but if one does show up regularly in daylight, I'll certainly give it a hunt if conditions are right. If I were you, I would use the cams you have and as they quit working, switch over to no flash or the Tasco's.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:43 am

xpauliber wrote:
botemple wrote:
botemple wrote:If I find hot sign while doing in season scouting. How long can you rely on that sign?

Maybe the better question is how long do you typically rely on that sign?

Something that I've started to do is carry a trail cam with me on hunts. If it's an area that I really like and know that I'm going to be back in at some point during the season, I'll hang a cam after the hunt and then retrieve that cam on my way deeper into the bottom the next time I hunt it. That way, you're not going back & forth multiple times to hunt and hang/retrieve the cam but you're still gaining intel.

I do the same thing. It’s a great way to gain intel on hot sign and figure out what’s going on there. Might be too late to use that info even a few weeks later but great for applying to future seasons at the very least.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:This brings up something that's borderline a new topic. That is, Scouting with Stand On Back during in-season scouting.

What's your preferred method during in-season scouting? With a stand? Without? For what reasons?

Both. My experience is the past two seasons I think I went a little too far with SSOB and tried to use it as a substitute for pure inseason scouting. In my playbook SSOB has to be a much more targeted approach to scouting. When I generalize scouting, I am talking much more thorough coverage of an area. I will usually carry my bow regardless just in case.

Backstory....I like to be as efficient as possible. I don't think hardly any of us get to hunt as much as we would like to. I've been hunting for 20 years and growing up hunted mobile and hunted bedding areas. I've killed a lot of deer during the rut (mid Oct - mid Nov). Rut is my bread and butter. I've never had much early season success at all (early season here is first 1/2 of October).

So I started to dive into the tactics on this forum, and a lot of this is not real new to me. I'm not the biggest devotee either, but SSOB is one thing I really picked up on and tried to adapt more to my situation. Something to a degree I've always done but I went more gung ho. Traditionally I would allocate a good chunk of early season time to purely scout, gathering intel for the rut. I kinda thought with SSOB, ok, best of both worlds. I can have my scouting and hunt too. Maybe finally figure out some stuff for early season that works.

I hunt big woods/mountainous terrain. I believe that does make it a little different because deer here break some of the "rules". The only thing predictable amount mountain deer is they are unpredictable. Food sources and a whole litany of things can shift the pockets of deer significantly. Here today, gone tomorrow.

So SSOB, I go into an area I scouted last postseason that looked great. I have beds marked. I have a great approach. But i haven't been there in 6 months. I go in there 4 hours before dark SSOB and there's nothing. Deer just aren't using the area. What do I do now? Cut bait and go to another area? That might take me a good hour, plus. Just setup here, maybe I missed something. Sign can be weird like that. Maybe the next bench down or up on the ridge is torn to heck. Sun starts dipping lower and you feel some pressure to find some hot sign and get set up. I'm hot, tired from a good climb and have 25 lbs of equipment on my back. It's not the ideal scenario for analysis and decision making.

Or, I go into an area I scouted a time or two but really don't know it like the back of my hand. I'm kinda guessing where I am going to end up. I run into some sign, maybe deer, maybe hunter. I bump a deer. I'm SSOB but I'm not getting a complete picture of the area because I am still trying to be stealthy. I can't truly, truly scout SSOB. Find a good tree and setup but not really sure what I am setting up on. Not too good.

I don't think as mobile hunters we should ever stop SSOB. I'm not hating on SSOB at all, I'm the doofus that didn't do it right. It's an awareness you should always maintain. What I am saying I've come to discover in my situation its not a replacement for inseason scouting whatsoever. I still need to take some days to just purely scout and not worry about setting up or blowing deer out or whatever. Let the sign paint a complete picture of an area instead of just guessing from a few little tidbits of info.

This post and I have way too much in common lol.

I find that I tend to be more successful SSOB when I am more familiar with the area and way the deer use it. On the private I occasionally hunt, I am dialed in. The majority of public I hunt, not so much. Obviously this means I need more time on the public to get more familiar and confident with those areas.

We always hear that confidence is key, and I'm sure most of everyone here agrees with that. In practice, however, we often don't put ourselves in position to be our most confident.

Back to my resembling the above post. I frequently hunt similar terrain and there is plenty to choose from, but it's such a hike to get into an area, that I tend to feel committed to it once there. A few times last year I never found anything fresh and continued scouting until dark, but once I check the area where I knew the sign oughta be I'm too far away from anything else good to find much. I basically just confirmed that the whole area was cold. Other times I set up anyway and want surprised at an uneventful sit. What's better, go ahead and sit it and hope one just moved in that day, hence the lack of sign? Or expand on scouting the larger area in case there's some overlooked micro bedding I missed?

In an effort to increase my percentage of high confidence sits moving forward, this year I'm going to focus on a particular unit on a different, much flatter wma that has plenty of habitat diversity, is an adequate size without being overwhelming, and I have confirmed big bucks that survived last season. I can only hunt this wma in October, so I'll still be moving back to the mountains afterwards and hopefully get in on more rut action there in the hills.
Not all those who wander are lost...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 am

Not bumping this thread because I started it. Just think it can help alot of people as a reminder, and, with some of their questions. And some of the recent posts got me thinking more about in season scouting.

What are we looking for in season? Mainly hot sign. Hot sign is a huge part of the missing link. Hunting hot sign should up one's kill odds dramatically. Kind of a bird in the hand thing!!! How do we look for hot sign? In stages? Hit a road or field well away but in the area of bedding. Check cameras in areas well away from bedding. Then if fresh sign or a recent pic is found. Dive in closer to transitions, points, etc and look for hot sign to pinpoint a bed or bedding area. And the evening exit routes from the beds.

But if the area is new to us. Why not jump in and look for beds? What's there to lose. Especially if Beast methods are new to us.

So, if we find hot sign, but have never set foot in an area. And are guessing at the bedding. Is it a bad thing to push in closer to suspected bedding? If we set up too far back we may burn the bedding anyway. If we bump a buck off a bed, we can try a bump and dump. We at least will know how close/far from the bed to be. Even for a hunt later in the year, but for sure next year. Maybe we want to forego looking at/getting in the actual bed, in season though. Staying at least 20, 30 yards away.

Another thought. And maybe this should be a separate thread. How does in season scouting differ. Depending on the terrain type you hunt. Some of the Beasts hunting more of a mountainous type of terrain. Have mentioned how physically demanding scouting stand on back is. Where's Dan's stand? Uh!!!

Another thing is how close, or rather how far you often need to stay away from bedding. In hilly or mountainous terrain. Even in situations in farm country. If bucks are out on the ed of a point in a marsh. We can often get closer to beds, but need to keep our scent from reaching them. Or does it matter if we get can get at the scouting early enough in the day. How many hours earlier?

Let's here your thoughts/questions on this continuation of this topic.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 am

Well im 0-2 on hot sign so far this year.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:23 pm

I thought of this thread earlier today also.
I scouted a couple hours after this morning's hunt. Would have went farther/ longer but the heat caught up to me with no water on me.
Not all those who wander are lost...
saint1480

Unread postby saint1480 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:10 am

A notification to this thread got me thinking about this one as well. This will be my first year hunting and I am in MA and my primary hunting areas have water and hills. I have some ideas based on last years sign, terrain that offers cover, cameras and a couple tips where they should be but essentially every time I step out the door I will be scouting. I run a saddle and wild edge stepps so the weight isn't an issue but the wind and thermals will be! I have a feeling I will be dropping milk weed every 15 yards...

Nick
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 am

I have killed a lot of bucks on prepped trees based off scouting. I have also killed many with in-season scouting. There is not a single best way IMO. I guess i just assumed most pay attention while they are hunting and make adjustments as dictated by sign? But I have killed a boatload of bucks over the years climbing a tree I selected in Jan/Feb and it was my first time back into the area. Travel corridors, browse, bedding locations (both doe and buck) don't change as much as maybe some are led to believe. Typically I hunt the AM in a spot based off post season scouting, and then I will scout a different path on my way out - if I find "hot sign" I will often set up right then for an evening hunt..... many times I will return to the same spot and hunt the AM - then rinse and repeat throughout the season. If I find an isolated food source with a ton of poop and large tracks around then its a no brainer - set up and hunt right then. I find hunting hot sign works best for me when I already know the area and where suspected bedding is.... but using aerials, I can also make educated guesses on new property.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:52 am

What type of "hot/fresh sign" have you guys had the most success with setting up on? Rubs, poop, scrapes, tracks, etc.?

Do you put more stock in one type of sign over the other?

The buck that I killed last year was bedding on an adjacent property to the one I was hunting and there was very little sign on the property I was on even though I'd seen this buck and others there. The morning I killed him, I passed two fresh scrapes on the way in but didn't see any rubs. I saw two smaller bucks before killing him. He had sign of rubbing all over his bases. I'm not sure if the rubbing sign was just concentrated to right around his bed (which I didn't have permission to get to) or what but there wasn't very much rubbing sign AT ALL where I was. Judging from the topo maps, his primary bedding area should've been between 100 to 200 yards from the spots I could access.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:51 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I have killed a lot of bucks on prepped trees based off scouting.

I personally prefer this strategy.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm

<DK> wrote:Well im 0-2 on hot sign so far this year.

You only need it to work once 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Wow Oct. 1 is here. I actually took a ride around one are on Sunday Morning in the dark. Lucky I had a bunch of fog, didn't see much other than some woodcock on the road. Guess I'm down to in season scouting, yeh me
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”