10%

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: 10%

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 pm

I would estimate looking at aerials I can toss 75% of a property. Of the remaining 25% I can usually get rid of 95% my first time walking it. It often takes me a couple seasons to really narrow it down to that .01% you're really looking for to kill deer with a pointy stick. Those kinda numbers I'm glad the smallest properties I hunt are 10,000 acres. Goes to show you what realistic expectations for the back 40 are and why so much of the industry is focus on not finding deer but bringing them to you.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 am

I scouted a new peice of public ground this week. I started out with a cyber scout and identified the 10% that looked like the most likely to hold primary bedding. Hard to get to, good cover, and access to water and food. Within that 10% there was a one acre area that seemed to be the 10% of the 10%.

I spent 4 hours zig-zagging ridges and fingers, river crossings and thick cover. I found some beds and lots of transition edges but nothing too exciting. When I finally got to the best looking spot the sign started to look really good. I was happy to see that my cyber scouting proved correct and then I hit that spot within a spot and I couldnt believe my luck!
IMG_7983.jpg

I usually only find one or two sheds a year as I dont really look for them but man does it feel good to find a big antler like this from a map so to speak. I picked out some good trees and backtracked some trails. Hopefully I can make it pay off this fall!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 am

Great find ETC :clap:
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 am

A brain surgery where I had to learn how to walk n talk, 4 eye surgeries, face surgery, nerve grafts in my leg and face, 2 lower back surgeries a thoracic surgery and most recently a neck surgery and I'm still gonna rehab my off to kill a deer. I might not be after the biggest buck anymore but I will drag myself out there for a 6 pt. I cant get on the biggest and baddest buck anymore but the fire to get on them still still burns deep in my soul. The will and want to is still there but the body cant keep up. The mind is a powerful thing and I will bet my last dime that I will kill another buck before I'm done. That's what makes me a 10%er, ever reason to quit is there but I wont accept it. I wont let it win.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”