Acorn reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WisBowhunter

Re: Acorn reports

Unread postby WisBowhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:59 am

County adjacent to you. Two weeks ago driveway was littered with them. Both whites and reds. Had a couple of deer and turkeys pick them up quickly. Haven't seen many since, but could be getting eaten as they fall
when off to work. Haven't checked any near where I hunt. Leaving the areas undisturbed for the time being.

Shoot straight, Kill Clean, and apologize to no one.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:10 am

Pretty strong crop it looks like. starting to notice a transition into the oak flats from Ag fields. Seeing alot more tracks, residual browse- acorn pieces and caps etc.
Brad
500 Club

Re: Acorn reports 2019

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 am

Robert501st wrote:I’m seeing a huge amount of red oak acorns in eastern Missouri. Many already starting to drop. Haven’t had the chance to check out areas with white oaks.

I'm in eastern MO too, & the red oak in my yard didn't produce even a small fraction of what it did last year, and for some reason the ones it did produce have been dropping for the past few months. Just weird.
Creek Duck

Unread postby Creek Duck » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:08 am

I have both red & whites dropping in south jersey now.......the chestnut oaks are still holding
what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:33 pm

NorthStar wrote:I have some White Oaks on my southern Minnesota farm and the acorns dropped weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience hunting deer on acorns and I am wondering if this will be a good food source this year? I know people like to hunt oaks when they are dropping but haven't heard much about acorns that have already dropped and have been on the ground for weeks.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples answer to this. I noticed a lot of white oaks dropping in the past couple weeks, haven't checked to see if there are a lot of acorns still on the ground. I do know that white oak acorns will start germinating and taking root the same fall that they drop on the ground. I believe that if the acorn has significantly germinated then it probably wouldnt be great deer food?
Other acorns i believe have to go through winter and freeze/thaw before they germinate. I have also noticed other instances of areas during the middle of winter where i am pretty sure the deer were pawing up the ground and feeding on red oak acorns that had fallen months earlier.
Those are just my very limited observations and knowledge on that... again i'd love to hear someone's more knowledgeable answer
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:54 am

I've got nearly none at the house. I have giant reds and whites.

Pulled camera cards at 1 place yesterday. None seen.

Got 2 more areas to check cameras over the next few days.

Not sure if it was the drought or what. I glassed my trees and I don't see anything up there.

Hopefully my oaks in the swamps have some and I'm not out of the game. I've learned finding and hunting deer where there are no acorns gets tough for me.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:35 am

These were taken a few weeks ago in a white oak grove neighboring a couple hundred acre cattail swamp. Pretty safe bet there will be deer under these when the season opens as the trees were absolutely loaded. Every branch has a cluster. If you know where white oaks are in SE WI go hunt them this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:11 am

White oaks are loaded around here, reds not as much but still a good crop. Whites have been dropping for a couple weeks, lots of green acorns hitting the ground. Deer don’t seem to have a problem eating green acorns. Healthy acorns just starting to hit the ground.
Strategically Inefficient
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:14 am

The white oaks seem to be dropping really good in N Mississippi. We still probably have about a week to go before they start to pour down but there's already a ton of smaller acorns on the ground
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:30 am

hunter_mike wrote:
NorthStar wrote:I have some White Oaks on my southern Minnesota farm and the acorns dropped weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience hunting deer on acorns and I am wondering if this will be a good food source this year? I know people like to hunt oaks when they are dropping but haven't heard much about acorns that have already dropped and have been on the ground for weeks.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples answer to this. I noticed a lot of white oaks dropping in the past couple weeks, haven't checked to see if there are a lot of acorns still on the ground. I do know that white oak acorns will start germinating and taking root the same fall that they drop on the ground. I believe that if the acorn has significantly germinated then it probably wouldnt be great deer food?
Other acorns i believe have to go through winter and freeze/thaw before they germinate. I have also noticed other instances of areas during the middle of winter where i am pretty sure the deer were pawing up the ground and feeding on red oak acorns that had fallen months earlier.
Those are just my very limited observations and knowledge on that... again i'd love to hear someone's more knowledgeable answer

Thanks Mike! Hope we get an answer on this one!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:16 am

The white oaks in my yard are dropping, not as heavy as last year. First hunt of the season is today.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:25 am

Bumper acorn crop in NW WI. Reds, whites... No shortage AT ALL.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:33 am

One area I checked in southern mi doesn’t look good. Not one white oak acorn in the trees. Last year was loaded. Might have to keep driving to find them. 1-2 hrs away might have them
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:42 am

Red oaks looking real good this year. Need to look closer at the White oaks.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:14 am

mike_mc wrote:Red oaks looking real good this year. Need to look closer at the White oaks.

Same here, they’ve already started dropping. A ton of apples this year too

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”