In Season Scout/Hunt Walking Speed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

In Season Scout/Hunt Walking Speed

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 am

When you are in season scouting, how fast do you walk? I tend to have a very difficult time going slow when in season scouting. If I am heading to a spot I have scouted and know what tree I will be in it is much easier to go slow. When I go at it "on the fly" I feel a sense of panic or urgency to find a spot. I dont think it is realistic that we all walk at a tortise pace the entire time we are in the woods. We call it "run and gun" after all, not crawl and gun.... :mrgreen:

Here is my plan for the season in these scenarios to help me go slower. From the truck im going to walk at a comfortable pace, like I normally would traveling to the point of interest. If I get to the area, and see nothing of interest I will throttle back up and move on to the next area.

Once I approach the area that I expect to see sign I'm going to really throttle back. This goes for if I see fresh sign anywhere as well. Depending on the situation I plan on coming up with a plan as soon as I hit the sign and not going forward until I have said plan. Something like " I think it is likely that the buk that made this sign came from the west and is bedded in "that thicket or general area" The wind is out of the north east and if I slip up to the oaks I can set up and have a shot at all three of these trails. I will pick my tree at that point and from where I stand to the kill tree I will take the same exact approach I use when I have a tree picked for a specific bed before the season. Quiet as a mouse, slow as a turtle.

I believe this will accomplish a few different things. #1 Being my biggest weakness.

1) It will give me more experience picking the right tree, and probably for a long time picking the wrong one :lol:
2) Confidence, it is a lot easier to be slow and methodical with a plan. The more details I give for myself, the more confident.
3) Learn new areas.

So what is your walking speed? How do you decide when to slow down? Am I missing something in my plan?

Trout
500 Club

Re: In Season Scout/Hunt Walking Speed

Unread postby Trout » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 am

I like your plan. I think that you have a plan a, b, c, etc is the important part.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am

Thats sort of the approch i take. But ill have a area in mind im going to hunt for that evening ill go back over my maps and see where ive got trails marked and bedding marked. And have a couple diffrent setups in mind if first spot looks cold. Usually not to far away from original spot. And ill slowly walk the transition trying to make no noise and keep wind in mind.
I think worst thing you could do is feel rushed ive set up just because i felt ive had to and been 50 yards from where i needed to be just because i felt i needed to stop when really a few more minutes would have been all i took to find that hot sign.
But ive also walked untill it was almost dark looking for hot sign that just wasnt there. But i wouldnt consider that a waste of a hunt. I feel im more productive doing that then just setting up on cold sign.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 am

It sounds like having several options is the key, something that I hear a bunch. I'm not afraid of keeping moving to find the good stuff. Often I struggle with knowing how far to push the envelope on that good sign. The last few seasons I have seen nice bucks. I have not killed them because I am either too far away (about 50 yards when i see them) because I wasn't agressive enough or I get to watch them run away because I pushed too far.

Something that I have seen time and time again in my area is that there is not a ton of sign right where the buck beds, just a well worn bed, maybe a few rubs, and poop. 50-200 yards away it will look like a whole herd lives in the area. Rubs, scrapes, browse marks, trails. It will be crazy.

When scout hunting, I would often hit that sign and scramble up the nearest tree. Often making noise or something because I would be moving too fast.
Last year I learned from watching several bucks just out of range, so I decided to push closer to the suspected bed. More often than not I would end up in that middle ground between the bed and the sign but too close to the bed. Being anxious to get up a tree I often went too far and got to watch the buck run away as I was halfway up the tree!

The only thing I can think of to do next is slow way down when I hit the sign, use my gut and brain to pick a spot right in the middle of the best sign. Being careful to go slow enough that I dont make noise or accidentally go too far.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:51 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:The only thing I can think of to do next is slow way down when I hit the sign, use my gut and brain to pick a spot right in the middle of the best sign. Being careful to go slow enough that I dont make noise or accidentally go too far.

I think you have a great mentality and your past exp will carry over to help this year. I think youre going to slam one

This comment stood out to me bc making the right moves quickly requires the exp of doing it. So my advice is find the sign and sit down for a few mins to think instead of rash decisions. We all do it and all have messed up, thats hunting! Also consider time of day when getting in close to bedding. With enough daylight left you could jump one and he might return later. Not something to count on but worth a shot when it happens for sure.

Another suggestion i would say is in season scout w your bow and leave the stand at the truck. Find the sign, hunt from the ground. I personally dont have high confidence doing it but it will save you a ton of time, energy and making sound climbing close to bedding. Obviously if you are in flat, thick terrain that makes it tough but I would just consider that considering youre kicking ideas around.

Good luck
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:55 am

Sounds like a good plan. Definitely don’t rush when you’re in an area of importance. You could easily miss some clues.

Allow yourself plenty of time. It’s never fun worrying that you’re running out of time. I know it’s way easier for me to go slow and be methodical when I’ve got hours to spare.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:13 am

I often tell myself, that it is not a race to get up in a tree to sit for 3 or more hours. This also helps me mentally to go check other spots on my way to my original area. I think leaving scent in those other areas of interest might help me see more activity in my intended spot. Or that is what I tell myself al least. :lol:

But I walk at a pretty good clip on the main trail. Then it turns into stealth mode going into a spot. If I don't like what I see I high tail it back out to the trail and keep moving.
Extreme Effort Only
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I dont know how many would agree with this. But i have walked in around noon before with bow only to make sure have hot sign then ill walk out and come in for a evening hunt. Gives you all the time to be slow and cautious. And if first choice dosnt look worthwile can back out a drive to next one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”