Your Exit Strategy Near Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Your Exit Strategy Near Beds

Unread postby simpzenith » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 am

Maybe this has been talked about before and if so, if someone could point me to the proper thread, that would be great.

When hunting in close proximity to a bed, the approach to the stand location is slow and methodical but how do you exit the area at the end of the day? Especially if the target buck is possible still in the vicinity. Is it just as slow and methodical as the entry?

For example, suppose that you're set up close to a bedded buck and just before dark, you see him get up a mill around but then lose sight and sound of him as darkness envelopes the area. What is your process for leaving the area?

Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Your Exit Strategy Near Beds

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am

Good question. I have this problem often. In CT hunting hours end at sunset.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am

If the buck is that close to you I would just sit in the dark till it moved off. Then do you slow methodical walk out so you don't kick up any other deer.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:28 am

In your last paragraph scenario....
If I see him get up and mill around at closing and lose him, AND conditions will be favorable for the next day......then for certain my exit will be:

1) well after dark and super quiet
2) as cautious as my entrance
3) I will most likely use the exact same exit route as my entrance to keep my ground scent consolidated to the same route.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

If I see a buck I want to shoot or hear/see a deer coming out and don’t get a look at it, I’m moving out slow and quiet whichever way I think I need to go to not spook the deer. If nothing comes out or it’s a deer I’m not interested in shooting, I still try to be quiet and sneak out but I’m not as careful usually.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 am

Very much deer, bed or spot specific. Some spots I wont care and be very loud leaving, others I wish I could fly :lol:

I wait until I cant hear them anymore, wait a few mins more, then try to slip out of the tree quietly. If necessary ill leave the stand but thats only if I will be back to hunt it next day. I use red or green lights as much as possible too.

Iv actually had to do this after missing a buck. After the shot, he stayed chill, worked a rub and scrape as darkness set in. I slipped out, he stayed on the property and was killed later by my dad.

backstraps wrote:1) well after dark and super quiet
3) I will most likely use the exact same exit route as my entrance to keep my ground scent consolidated to the same route.

x2
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 am

<DK> wrote:Very much deer, bed or spot specific. Some spots I wont care and be very loud leaving, others I wish I could fly :lol:

I wait until I cant hear them anymore, wait a few mins more, then try to slip out of the tree quietly. If necessary ill leave the stand but thats only if I will be back to hunt it next day. I use red or green lights as much as possible too.

Iv actually had to do this after missing a buck. After the shot, he stayed chill, worked a rub and scrape as darkness set in. I slipped out, he stayed on the property and was killed later by my dad.

backstraps wrote:1) well after dark and super quiet

x2

As most said, stay in stand as long as you need to for the buck to pass through. But the different color light is huge. I use to think it was a bunch of bs and even said that in another thread specifically about headlamp color. Then i actually tried and paid attention... I use a green headlamp (never used red) and from my personal experience there has been tons of times I have walked to and from my hunting location in the dark passing deer (does and bucks) within 30-40-50 yards and they think nothing of it. They will stare and thats about it. I dont stop and watch them I just kind of mind my own business and calmly walk in or out. It was very eye opening for me and now thats all i use unless I am tracking a blood trail.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am

backstraps wrote:In your last paragraph scenario....
If I see him get up and mill around at closing and lose him, AND conditions will be favorable for the next day......then for certain my exit will be:

This.

If I know I’m not coming back then I’m quite loud when I leave. Sometimes even drop my stand and sticks to the ground if the skeeters are bad :D
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I would add oftentimes the buck is leaving the bedding area headed to a food source so I would make my best guess where he is headed and give that area plenty of space.
IMO it is easier to get out of a bedding in the dark than a feeding area. Sometimes you just have to wait awhile before taking your set down.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Lockdown wrote:
backstraps wrote:In your last paragraph scenario....

This.

If I know I’m not coming back then I’m quite loud when I leave. Sometimes even drop my stand and sticks to the ground if the skeeters are bad :D

Every bit of the above. Especially about the skeeters :lol:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 am

I agree with what most guys have said, I would probably try to be quiet/let him move out of the area before packing up, but.....

Unless there is some type of barrier (blow down, creek, brush etc.) between your set up, access trail and him, isn't the buck likely to smell you that you were there anyway? I might try and adjust my set up an sit in that same general area the next night if I got eyes on a good buck, and then I would give it a rest for a couple weeks. He will know he is being hunted. Thoughts?
simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:12 am

Thanks for the feedback all!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am

simpzenith wrote:Maybe this has been talked about before and if so, if someone could point me to the proper thread, that would be great.

When hunting in close proximity to a bed, the approach to the stand location is slow and methodical but how do you exit the area at the end of the day? Especially if the target buck is possible still in the vicinity. Is it just as slow and methodical as the entry?

For example, suppose that you're set up close to a bedded buck and just before dark, you see him get up a mill around but then lose sight and sound of him as darkness envelopes the area. What is your process for leaving the area?

Exit strategy?
I prefer to drag the buck out with me.
I never cared much the entry is what is so vital.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
simpzenith wrote:Maybe this has been talked about before and if so, if someone could point me to the proper thread, that would be great.

Exit strategy?
I prefer to drag the buck out with me.
I never cared much the entry is what is so vital.

Drag? Why not just carry it? :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”