Seasonal shifts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Joe Belly-High Rub

Seasonal shifts

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 am

Hi Guys,

I looked through the all-time tactical threads and didn’t see anything, so am creating this post to ask for help in understanding seasonal shifts. Specifically, the late summer shift that is said to occur in early Sept.

The immediate reason for my interest is that I located a bachelor group a few weeks ago that included the best buck I have ever seen in my home state of NH. It’s a small clear cut they hit in the evenings to feed and chew their cud. They enter with plenty of daylight left and seem very comfortable there. It’s one of those overlooked areas and adjacent to a narrow, shallow river and mix of hard and softwoods. There are a few small hayfields about ½ mile through the forest on the backside of the cut. A subsequent observation sit confirmed where they enter and exit for the same wind I need to hunt it.

Based on posts I have read on this site and elsewhere, I am concerned the bucks may not be there come Sept. 15th bow opener. Can you guys please explain why they would leave this area by mid to late Sept. - even if no one bothers them there? I know the theory is that it has something to do with shedding their velvet, but I don’t understand why this would cause them to shift?

Also, is this something that occurs all over the country or just certain areas in certain conditions? My area is a low density, low pressure, highly forested, rural area - with no shortage or competition for bedding sites and with food/water evenly distributed throughout the landscape.

I don’t know where they bed, so I’m hoping to get a shot at the dominant buck in the cut as soon as the wind permits in mid to late Sept.

backstraps

Re: Seasonal shifts

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:03 am

Sounds like an awesome find

You may still be within that window of opportunity with a Sept 15 opener

I live in TN and I typically see the shift after the velvet sheds. In my area that can be middle to late Sept

Many times I have noticed the shift won’t really happen until after the bachelor groups start breaking up some. That may buy you a little more time as well.

Man I hope you can get a crack at him. Thats the whole attraction for early season for me!!! Finding the bucks and get their pattern down...wait for opener and then the correct day to attack!!! Best of luck!
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 am

I don't notice the shift in my area until late September (north central minnesota)
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:16 am

backstraps wrote:Sounds like an awesome find

You may still be within that window of opportunity with a Sept 15 opener

I live in TN and I typically see the shift after the velvet sheds. In my area that can be middle to late Sept

Many times I have noticed the shift won’t really happen until after the bachelor groups start breaking up some. That may buy you a little more time as well.

Man I hope you can get a crack at him. Thats the whole attraction for early season for me!!! Finding the bucks and get their pattern down...wait for opener and then the correct day to attack!!! Best of luck!

Thanks BS, me too, never killed a buck like this one.

I understand that the bachelor groups break up as the sparring intensifies, but past observations of young bach groups showed me this did not happen here until early october. This current group I'm on has two large mature bucks , two 2.5 year olds, and a couple spikes. There are also does and family units that hang out on the opposite side of the cut as well.

Is it possible that the dominant buck continues to frequent a spot like this even after the Bach group brakes up? Could he just run the others off and stay there?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:42 am

He very well could stay in that area. I have pictures of known mature bucks 4.5+ staying with a younger buck all season. So a mature buck from my observations, doesn't alway seek solitude and run off all the young guys.

The seasonal shift can be related to food patterns changing too. Many acorns locally are dropping here in late Sept... that can move bucks to areas with more food versus winter-spring bedding areas

I would strongly suggest keep a distance, continue to observe as much as possible without intrusion. I’d stay out of the area you’re seeing them and make a plan of attack!!

I think mid Sept you will still have that bachelor group around. Id assume they're browsing on all that thicket greens
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 am

There are shifts in buck routines all year. About the time frame your talking about the buck groups tend to separate. I have seen some bucks relocate a distance away, but I have also seen them hold tight. Usually they are somewhere close by though and can still be hunted
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:01 am

Alot of times shifts occur do to changes in food preferences. Here in southern Wisconsin ag country. When the beans yellow they shift to either acorns or hay. Some years or some fields. The beans yellow late enough to keep the bucks on a summer pattern. For our mid September opener.

But even up north you can see a shift in food preferences. If acorns are available they may shift to them. Different weeds and browse they feed on. Are preferred at different times of the year.

I'd keep, keeping an eye on them from now until your opener. Try to do it daily the last week before season. If they're there, go get 'em!!!

Sometimes they don't leave. They just become less visible. I personally think outside the rut phases. Deer including mature bucks. Move based on the clock. Not by the amount of sunlight. I've watched the same deer come into the same field at about the same time of day. Each and every day. No matter when sunset was. So in early August I may have seen them in the field at 8:00 PM. Plenty of light to observe who was who. By early September. It was too dark to make out what deer was what. At 8:00 PM when they entered.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 am

In NJ, we have an early bow opener, usually 2nd wknd in Sept.. Twice in the last 3yrs on the opener I have had a 2.5/3.5 under me w/another younger buck, but here we have earn a buck, shoot a doe 1st. I might have been tempted by the 3.5yr old, he was a nice 8pt. I agree what others have said and see dispersion last two wks of Sept.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:59 am

backstraps wrote:You may still be within that window of opportunity with a Sept 15 opener

dan wrote:I have seen some bucks relocate a distance away, but I have also seen them hold tight. Usually they are somewhere close by though and can still be hunted

:clap: Great posts!
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm

backstraps wrote: I would strongly suggest keep a distance, continue to observe as much as possible without intrusion. I’d stay out of the area you’re seeing them and make a plan of attack!!

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm going to do. If they do break up and the big buck stops frequenting the cut before the opener, I'm not sure what I'll do. Try to hunt him down like Dan talks about I guess! Just not sure how? will cross that bridge when I come to it I guess.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:41 pm

stash59 wrote:Alot of times shifts occur do to changes in food preferences. Here in southern Wisconsin ag country. When the beans yellow they shift to either acorns or hay. Some years or some fields. The beans yellow late enough to keep the bucks on a summer pattern. For our mid September opener.

But even up north you can see a shift in food preferences. If acorns are available they may shift to them. Different weeds and browse they feed on. Are preferred at different times of the year.

I'd keep, keeping an eye on them from now until your opener. Try to do it daily the last week before season. If they're there, go get 'em!!!

Sometimes they don't leave. They just become less visible. I personally think outside the rut phases. Deer including mature bucks. Move based on the clock. Not by the amount of sunlight. I've watched the same deer come into the same field at about the same time of day. Each and every day. No matter when sunset was. So in early August I may have seen them in the field at 8:00 PM. Plenty of light to observe who was who. By early September. It was too dark to make out what deer was what. At 8:00 PM when they entered.

Than you, I didn't mention this earlier bc I didn't want to muddy the waters, and more wanted to understand the shift in general, but something very strange and unfortunate is happening in the north east this year. The acorns started falling a little over a week ago. Apparently the incredibly wet spring is to blame, as the excessive moisture caused fungus and mildew, both of which interfere with oak flower fertilization. So now very small undeveloped acorns are falling prematurely, and we're going to have our second poor mast year in a row.

Not sure how this will affect the deer early season. I need to talk to our deer biologist to see what she thinks. I'm not sure if the acorns are even edible or not.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm

dan wrote:There are shifts in buck routines all year. About the time frame your talking about the buck groups tend to separate. I have seen some bucks relocate a distance away, but I have also seen them hold tight. Usually they are somewhere close by though and can still be hunted

Thanks Dan, I hope he doesn't go far, bc there's a lot of woods to hide in if he does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”