Whats the next move?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Whats the next move?

Unread postby JAK » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:14 am

So i was doing some thinking at work today . Ive got a few good ones located from glassing. But realize i could do more in my summer scouting to give myself a better opportunity come season.

What are some methods some of you use once you have found a target buck glassing to really try and pin point where hes comeing from.

Beastintraining

Re: Whats the next move?

Unread postby Beastintraining » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:49 am

If you have glassed up a decent buck in a field during the summer, I would note where he came into the field and then come back mid day when you have free time and find the trail you think he used to enter the field and then back track the buck. You might bust him out of bedding but if its just this once to get to know the area it shouldn't hurt anything. You can find his bed and any other exit routes he might have or use once the season opens and pressure starts but seeing how this is summer bedding it is really only applicable for an early season shot. Once the velvet comes off his pattern will shift and while he might not move far I would expect him to move out of that summer bedding area. Then you will have to approach it fresh, knowing there is a buck in the area and scout/hunt the fresh sign to find him again.
stash59

Re: Whats the next move?

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 am

Beastintraining wrote:If you have glassed up a decent buck in a field during the summer, I would note where he came into the field and then come back mid day when you have free time and find the trail you think he used to enter the field and then back track the buck. You might bust him out of bedding but if its just this once to get to know the area it shouldn't hurt anything. You can find his bed and any other exit routes he might have or use once the season opens and pressure starts but seeing how this is summer bedding it is really only applicable for an early season shot. Once the velvet comes off his pattern will shift and while he might not move far I would expect him to move out of that summer bedding area. Then you will have to approach it fresh, knowing there is a buck in the area and scout/hunt the fresh sign to find him again.

Like said above, but will add analyze and take pictures of his tracks. Make sure to put something in the pic with the track. To help you define it's size. Best to have it be something you'll always have with you. Even in hunting season. This info could help you make sure your still backtracking the correct buck. But may help you find him later in the season. If you lose track of where he's at. Maybe miles away!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”