Corn Bedding??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Corn Bedding??

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:51 am

Has anyone heard of bucks bedding in corn during early season?

I've heard this from some of the people I grew up hunting with but have never actually witnessed any proof of it. I have seen bucks bedded in beans and corn when it was short enough that they could still see over it, but I haven't seen it when the corn is fully grown (this would be difficult to see anyways). I see how it could be advantageous for a buck, but there are some BIG disadvantages as well.

Is this just an old wives' tale that's been passed along?

Robertpgrissom86

Re: Corn Bedding??

Unread postby Robertpgrissom86 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:39 am

I have jumped several Buck’s that are bedded a few rows into the corn. From my observation, it’s been in area where the corn didn’t do well like in a corner or a low area and there’s a bunch of weeds etc. typically on a hard edge like a timber line. Also at the tips of long fingers like a ditch or a waterway.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 am

I saw a nice buck 3 times last year, twice leaving corn bedding and once entering. That was from Oct 5th - November 15th. So he was bedding there off and on for over a month. He was just out of range every time. I know smaller bucks bed in corn all the time, I think it depends on the terrain of the corn field and the surrounding areas. If they can bed safely in the corn and be able to check doe bedding and have everything work to their favor they will bed there. What is hard is to pinpoint where they will travel in the corn.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:45 am

I bumped a good one when I was a kid from a brushy rock pile in the dead center of a corn field. I thought "I wonder if there's something over there?" and walked over to it. I turned out to be right, but did not realize I needed to approach the situation differently than literally just walking up it. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 am

Theres a good thread on this somewhere, may have to look it up! I do think dan said its not consistant bedding. They do use drowned out spots and waters ways in corn alot!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am

I believe in some situations. If there is a grassy area somewhere out in the middle. And the basics needed for a mature buck to feel secure, are available. They may prefer it for summer bedding. A bucks antlers are soft while in velvet. They do all they can to protect them. The corn leaves give easily when they move through it to and from the beds. There are less bugs in the corn. And often it's cooler in the corn.

Deer also devour the corn leaves at a certain point in it's growth. Along with the newly developing ears. I've walked roads home after dark next to corn fields. Following summer observation sits. And could hear deer pulling the leaves/ears off of the stalks. Then munching on them. I knew it wasn't raccoons. Because they blew, snorted and ran off. When my scent blew to them.

So it is possible you could catch a slob. Still on a summer pattern, of bedding in the corn, during the early season. But they won't live there. So you should find tracks from them coming and going.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 am

Sounds like there is plenty evidence for corn bedding! Thanks for stories and info!
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 am

I've jumped deer out of corn before. Never a big buck though from what I can recall.

Saw an aggressive tactic on an old hunting video years ago of guys slowing moving through the rows of corn on a windy day to try to find some of these bedded deer. Apparently works best when you're able to see a certain distance between the rows. These guys were shooting recurves in the video. Never tried the tactic though.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:03 am

MrT wrote:I've jumped deer out of corn before. Never a big buck though from what I can recall.

Saw an aggressive tactic on an old hunting video years ago of guys slowing moving through the rows of corn on a windy day to try to find some of these bedded deer. Apparently works best when you're able to see a certain distance between the rows. These guys were shooting recurves in the video. Never tried the tactic though.

Yeah, the old Toad Smith video. Fun stuff. Consensus is that it's harder with the tighter rows of today, but it can still be done. One of the guys on here (can't remember his username) had a good kill story from a corn ambush. Real nice buck,so it can be done.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:18 am

Years ago I went to a Myles Keller seminar. He told about a corn field his group always drove. Yes with bows. A few years in a row, they would always kick a true big boy out of it. When the wind was from a certain direction. It always escaped nose to wind and always picked off the shooter/poster. Set up on the escape route. And would circle out of range. But every time they got organized before the drive. There was a huge argument over who got to post there!!!

Key to the corn field's use. Was the grassy openings in it.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”