Affordable Mobile Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Affordable Mobile Hunting

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:35 am

I am a college student trying to mobile hunt on a budget. I bought a used four pack of LW sticks off a friend for pretty cheap (80) and now I am in the search for a light but affordable hangon stand. I plan to buy the Hunting Beast package after I graduate and get a big boy job but, would like to get something to get me by till then for around the $80-150 range.

I have searched around online some and seen a few possible options but, the cheaper you go it seems the more of a hassle to put the stand up in the tree.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper alternatives to the expensive brands?

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Affordable Mobile Hunting

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 am

Used expensive brands is the way to go. LW stands are bullet proof. I’d stick with LW and make sure there is a leveling bracket on it. There might be one for sale now on saddlehunter.com.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 am

I hunted out of a hawk helium xl the past 2 seasons. It got the job done no problem at a pretty cheap price point.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:20 am

Dump the stand. Get a sit-drag and RCH and ropes and a platform (of some kind, many options).
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:27 am

matt1336 wrote:Used expensive brands is the way to go. LW stands are bullet proof. I’d stick with LW and make sure there is a leveling bracket on it. There might be one for sale now on saddlehunter.com.

x2 The best part is the parts can be purchased. Check facebook marketplace or make a post in the Classifieds - viewforum.php?f=25
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:39 am

Used is a good way to go, but I'd also note that as nice as top end gear is, don't let yourself think it's the only way to hunt mobile. I've been dragging a $60 Gorilla hang-on around swamps for a decade and have been too cheap to replace it and despite occasionally sore shoulders, don't feel like it's stopped me from getting anywhere I wanted to go. I'm almost 40, so at your age, just find something cheap that works and get out there, or ground hunt.

Again, I'm all for good gear, but I do think both the message board and FB page have gotten a little too gear centric over the last two years. I think it can leave guys just getting going on mobile hunting feeling like without dropping a grand they have not chance, which just flat isn't true. You sand doesn't kill the buck, your scouting and execution do.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:04 am

Kraftd wrote:Used is a good way to go, but I'd also note that as nice as top end gear is, don't let yourself think it's the only way to hunt mobile. I've been dragging a $60 Gorilla hang-on around swamps for a decade and have been too cheap to replace it and despite occasionally sore shoulders, don't feel like it's stopped me from getting anywhere I wanted to go. I'm almost 40, so at your age, just find something cheap that works and get out there, or ground hunt.

Again, I'm all for good gear, but I do think both the message board and FB page have gotten a little too gear centric over the last two years. I think it can leave guys just getting going on mobile hunting feeling like without dropping a grand they have not chance, which just flat isn't true. You sand doesn't kill the buck, your scouting and execution do.

Very true here. I guess I could be labeled as a gear snob to a point. When it gets down to it, your level of determination will be the biggest factor in getting where you want to go
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 am

Kraftd wrote:Used is a good way to go, but I'd also note that as nice as top end gear is, don't let yourself think it's the only way to hunt mobile. I've been dragging a $60 Gorilla hang-on around swamps for a decade and have been too cheap to replace it and despite occasionally sore shoulders, don't feel like it's stopped me from getting anywhere I wanted to go. I'm almost 40, so at your age, just find something cheap that works and get out there, or ground hunt.

Thank you Kraftd, I agree, especially starting out I feel I need to earn one of the more expensive gear sets by putting in my time and having success with the normal stuff. I would like the stand to be lighter, but thats not as much of the issue as setting it up. I have a couple of hangons that are rather bulky and just designed poorly for easy and quiet setup in the tree. Regardless of weight my biggest concern is the ergonomics of hanging it in the tree.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:20 am

I started out with a $40 comfort zone stand and muddy sticks. The stand was a pain to hang but with everything, practice! It made me as efficient as I could be. I slowly purchased better gear each year. Getting efficient hanging that cheap stand made hanging an LW a breeze. Get the best you can afford (used is the way to go) and get to hanging and packing it every week.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 am

This Rivers Edge Lite Foot Cast Aluminum is a relatively light, relatively cheap lock on. I bought one last year mainly for my dad and brother since I mostly hunt out of a saddle, but have really liked it. Doesn't come with backpack straps. Should be able to find it for cheaper than place I'm linking. Think I got it for $99.

https://www.huntriversedge.com/Product/ ... ng-on-8501
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:00 am

A used Alpha or Assault they stay in good shape for many years.

In the long run cheap stands never last and cost more.

If you watch sales you can get a Assault for 150.00 fairly easily.
I bought mine in a Amazon sale for 136.00 brand new a few years back.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 am

Since you already have a method of getting in the tree, I would recommend a fleece saddle, 10' of Amsteel, a RC harness, one Primal step with plywood platform, 25' of 11mm Bluewater Assault line (enough for both linemans rope and tether), 10' of 8mm rope (for 2 prusiks), and 2 rated carabiners. You can get this done for under $100 and have one of the most, portable, silent, lightest, compact methods of hunting from a tree you will find. i use knee pads, but you could get by with a garden kneeling mat or some other closed cell foam pad, strapped to the tree for knee placement. Between YouTube and Saddlehunter.com you will find all of the info you need to get started. if you do go that route, do not discount the comfort and huntability of the fleece saddle for such a small initial investment. I've been saddle hunting from one form of saddle or another going on 30 years. Of all of the stands I've hunted from, a fleece saddle with a back band (rifle sling on prusiks) is the most comfortable thing I have ever hunted from, without question. You have alot of options out there. Good luck with ever how you decide.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 am

I second what Scott and hambone said, RC and fleece saddle or sit drag, a few accessories and your as mobile and light as could be. And comfortable!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 am

I would stay away from xop. L/w makes great stands and with all the switching to saddles and other stuff you should be able to find used lone wolf. If that's still out of your budget just buy a cheap store stand and do what you can to silence it.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 am

Camofire.com has been running the muddy vantage point for $120 new from time to time it’s a great stand. Just a little on the heavy side.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”