Affordable Mobile Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Affordable Mobile Hunting

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:10 pm

tbunao wrote:Also I may add don’t be afraid to hunt from the ground. I spent a little more than half my season last year on the ground and loved it!! So much that I plan on doing it more than hangs this year.

After my hip surgeries, probably next season. That's my plan. So I don't wish I could be up in a tree. I'm mainly gonna target areas without trees where your able to place a stand in.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 pm

hcooper84 wrote:I am a college student trying to mobile hunt on a budget. I bought a used four pack of LW sticks off a friend for pretty cheap (80) and now I am in the search for a light but affordable hangon stand. I plan to buy the Hunting Beast package after I graduate and get a big boy job but, would like to get something to get me by till then for around the $80-150 range.

I have searched around online some and seen a few possible options but, the cheaper you go it seems the more of a hassle to put the stand up in the tree.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper alternatives to the expensive brands?

Hey, looks like someone else was thinking along the same lines as me....I've been busy taking pictures.....anyhow, if you are interested, I have a brand new, never used stand that's yours....at no cost to you, I'll cover shipping.

It is an Ameristep aluminum hang-on, advertised as a 29"x20" platform, at a weight of 10 pounds. (This stand is the same stand as the Ameristep Avenger). I purchased this a couple of years ago, unboxed it, assembled it, and never even put it on a tree. I've recently had the good fortune of finding a new (to-me) hang on-stand, with some assistance here on the beast site, which means I will likely never use this one. This is one way for me to pay it forward as a gesture for my appreciation for this site. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 am

Okay,,,,, want some advice from an old guy,,,, probably not, but here it is,,,, You already have what you need to be a mobile hunter, your brain and your two feet...... Learning the woods, knowing your environment, and hunting on the ground, can really put you in tune, on hunting your spots.

Half the time, I have climbed up in some old willow tree, or layed down a plastic bag, to keep dry and kneel on in the swamps. You do not need to carry a mass of equipment, to be mobile.....

Believe me, I have some very fine equipment, I can easily afford it at this point in my life..... but I hate to tell you how many times it goes unused, when I hit new ground running on the ground........

You do not need a lot of money to hunt,,,, what you need is the desire, to learn your area and the deer your going after,,,,,,,

since you got your sticks, buy a cheap light stand. I used one once from Menards, in the off season it cost 39.00 and after I added stealth strips, and xop back pack straps to it, it worked great, till it was stolen, out of my truck

In my area we have sportsman rummage sales in winter and into spring,,,,, saw a lot of great deals on LW's for about a hundred bucks, so you can buy quality out there cheap........

or buy a sit and drag for about 35.00 add another strap and tether you can make up, very cheap yourself, and with you sticks, you have a cheap saddle system

good luck
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 am

Maverick1 wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:I am a college student trying to mobile hunt on a budget. I bought a used four pack of LW sticks off a friend for pretty cheap (80) and now I am in the search for a light but affordable hangon stand. I plan to buy the Hunting Beast package after I graduate and get a big boy job but, would like to get something to get me by till then for around the $80-150 range.

I have searched around online some and seen a few possible options but, the cheaper you go it seems the more of a hassle to put the stand up in the tree.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper alternatives to the expensive brands?

Hey, looks like someone else was thinking along the same lines as me....I've been busy taking pictures.....anyhow, if you are interested, I have a brand new, never used stand that's yours....at no cost to you, I'll cover shipping.

It is an Ameristep aluminum hang-on, advertised as a 29"x20" platform, at a weight of 10 pounds. (This stand is the same stand as the Ameristep Avenger). I purchased this a couple of years ago, unboxed it, assembled it, and never even put it on a tree. I've recently had the good fortune of finding a new (to-me) hang on-stand, with some assistance here on the beast site, which means I will likely never use this one. This is one way for me to pay it forward as a gesture for my appreciation for this site. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

One of these stands will work great! I bought one years ago on sale for about $40 and used it countless times as my mobile stand. Last season I modified it, put actual teeth on the bottom to dig in the tree better and switched to a single seat post and added versa buttons and added leveling capabilities. I've come across 2 or 3 on FB marketplace and craigslist this summer for anywhere from $10-$30. Sure there is better options but that stand will work great. I also toted a muddy vantage point for a while, it's a good bit heavier than their specs though.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 am

Hey man thanks for contacting me back.
My post office estimated to wisconsin 34.00 they said I can bubble wrap ship it if that's ok with you finding a box that size isn't easy.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 am

Used is the way to go, missed out on a lone wolf hang on going for $60, got one a month later for $100, as the season approaches you should find more deals.

You could also try the ultra cheap and mobile hunting form the ground approach, not always easy in some spots but I find many locations to hunt off the ground and leave my stand and sticks behind many times every season.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:21 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hey man thanks for contacting me back.
My post office estimated to wisconsin 34.00 they said I can bubble wrap ship it if that's ok with you finding a box that size isn't easy.

May want to try a UPS drop off store. They're supposed to have everything right there, then you just ship it with them. All done in 1 stop.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:11 am

stash59 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Hey man thanks for contacting me back.

May want to try a UPS drop off store. They're supposed to have everything right there, then you just ship it with them. All done in 1 stop.

Ups was quite a bit higher I did check.
It's also 20 miles each way further from post office.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 am

20190806_134522.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

20190806_134913.jpg
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 am

Thank you all for all the great information. I did not expect this much out of this post this Hunting Beast family is amazing.

Maverick1, thank you for the offer however Tennhunter5 and I made a deal. I never in a million years thought anyone would offer me a stand, let alone two people. Again this community is great!

Saddle guys, thank you for the recommendations as well. That is a little out of my comfort range at the moment, but i do plan to give it a try eventually. I have mostly hunted out of pre-hung stands so slowly working my way to the mobile setup.

Old guys, I always want to hear what you have to say. You've been there and done that. As a young fella I can admit sometimes it takes our own stubborn mistakes to realize you are right, but I hope it pleases you to know that we know you were right haha.

For everyone who suggested ground hunting, I completely agree. Some of my most memorable hunts have been ground hunting. I shot my first deer/buck sitting on the ground. And last year my best friend and I made a ground stalk on a 170" buck. I got to watch my friend shoot a 170" whitetail. Unfortunately, it was square in the shoulder or high. We tracked the deer for a couple miles the next day and never found him. However, I did find his sheds this spring. So hopefully we can get back on him this fall.

I couldn't be more proud and excited to be part of The Hunting Beast community, I will make sure that generosity and kindness like this will pass on.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

I threw in new 2 lone wolf steps in package.
1 batwing on side of the package.
1 ez hang hook on side of package.

Think that's all the lone wolf assesories they carry for stands.
This way you can find out what's the easiest way for you to hang your setup.

I'll ship it in morning.
Have a great day.
Jeff.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:00 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:dance: :dance: :dance:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Look into The Boss Lite from Rivers Edge (I believe). It weighs 12-14 pounds and has a decent platform. I have 3 of them.
Arakers

Unread postby Arakers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Well done boys! This is one of a hunting family! Good karma coming to you TN3!
Working for the weekend

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”