Milkweed Tip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Re: Milkweed Tip

Unread postby simpzenith » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 am

tundra@1 wrote:I am outside the box,,,, maybe because I trap so much,,,, why would I want to put my scent on a item, and send it out in the wind to float all over an area, that I am hunting???????????????????????????

If I check then wind, I use a simple butane lighter,,, its simple and quick.,,, I am already in my stand, I now can not control anything, so I am where I am.....

Of course in a simple sense of time, I might move,,, but I guess I would simply rather send out, scentless powder, than to watch a pod float around with my scent on it,,,,,

this might sound extreme but that is how I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know great hunters, a lot better than me, like Dan believe in it,, but that is how I think as a trapper at heart,,,,,, if and when I do handle it, I have disposable gloves on,,,,,, I have been told that I am odd, but that is how I work,,,,,

again I might be completely wrong in my thinking, but what I do, works for me..........................

A butane lighter only shows the wind direction at your location, not the direction 30, 70, 100 yards away from your location. Milkweed filaments will show you exactly where your scent stream is going and turning further downwind. And it doesn't matter if you get your scent on the filaments since your scent is already downwind anyway. Milkweed is simply a tool to monitor your scent stream.

Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:55 am

tundra@1 wrote:I am outside the box,,,, maybe because I trap so much,,,, why would I want to put my scent on a item, and send it out in the wind to float all over an area, that I am hunting???????????????????????????

If I check then wind, I use a simple butane lighter,,, its simple and quick.,,, I am already in my stand, I now can not control anything, so I am where I am.....

Of course in a simple sense of time, I might move,,, but I guess I would simply rather send out, scentless powder, than to watch a pod float around with my scent on it,,,,,

this might sound extreme but that is how I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know great hunters, a lot better than me, like Dan believe in it,, but that is how I think as a trapper at heart,,,,,, if and when I do handle it, I have disposable gloves on,,,,,, I have been told that I am odd, but that is how I work,,,,,

again I might be completely wrong in my thinking, but what I do, works for me..........................

If the milkweed with your scent on it is blowing the same direction that the rest of your scent is then what does it matter?
Fairchild#17

Unread postby Fairchild#17 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 am

The best thing I ever learned as a canine trapper was to not be so concerned about something that you absolutely cannot control. Make a set, make it solid, and get out of there.
Your scent is already going exactly where the milkweed is showing. That's what you are trying to determine.
I'm dropping fluff all the time, calculating where my shot opportunities are going to end because a deer may get my wind as they approach.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 am

Great tip on removing the seeds! :clap:
Extreme Effort Only
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 am

Great tip shane thanks for sharing! Nice to see you on the forum.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 am

Thanks for posting.

For me personally I've had better experience just putting the pod in my pocket and pull it out only to drop it. Once you start playing around with it and mushing it together you loose some of its natural float. The beauty of milk weed is that the little feathers(or whatever you want to call them) catch the slightest of wind and allow it to float naturally. When you start to flatten it sometimes you'll loose that float.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 am

The direction the milkweed flies the buck shouldn't be bedded in that direction to spook him. Your scent is going to already be over their so I don't see how milkweed hurts anything.

Milkweed alot of times after it gets out 15 or more feet changes direction or hits a updraft. It is just giving a better idea of what your scent is doing downwind of your location. No lighter or powder can do that.

I pack up and move quite a bit because of where my milkweed flies.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”