Holding out for big bucks in big woods?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Joe Belly-High Rub

Holding out for big bucks in big woods?

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 am

Hey guys,

I have been following this forum and studying beast tactics for the last three seasons now and joined the site a few months back. I waited to join because I felt I really didn't know what I didn't know for the first few years, and any time I had a question, I could usually find the answer by going through old threads. And I want to extend a big THANK YOU to everyone on here who takes the time to share their knowledge and passion for hunting and the outdoors. It is so important for those of us who did not grow up with a hunting mentor.

I have not made the transition to targeting only mature bucks yet, but I have used beast tactics and strategies to better develop my woodmanship, and my understanding of deer behavior. This has allowed me to fill all my New Hampshire tags the last two seasons, which is no small feat in the north east.

I am wondering if there are any northern New England or other big woods hunters on here who have applied beast bed hunting tactics to kill only 4 year olds and up? And if so, how the did you do it? What modifications (if any?) did you have to make?

Where I hunt, there seems to be no shortage of good bedding sites, and the bucks seem to rotate through them depending on time of year, weather, hunting pressure, etc... It's also a low deer density area compared to rest of country, so very much a "if it's brown, it's down," hunting culture.

I do find beds during spring and lost season scouting and mark them on gps, and note whether I think it's a wind dependent or any-wind bed. I then look for tall rubs and 4 finger tracks to determine if a mature buck is using the site and record that as well. I then hunt those spots 1-3 times per season when the wind is right for my access route to work. I mostly find what appears to be any-wind beds in thick spots.

I have started killing deer by doing this, but nothing over 2.5 - 3.5 year olds. Do I need to change or add to what I'm doing, or just be more patient and let the younger bucks walk? I'm finally going into this season with a good amount of venison left in the freezer, so I'm going to try to be more patient, but it's going to be hard for me...

Ultimately, I may never progress beyond just filling tags here in northern New England, and as a meat hunter, I'm ok with that. I am just wondering if others have, and how they've done it? I'm too cheap for taxidermy, so for me, it's really about letting this animal we admire and respect so much to live it up a little. To be honest, I really don't like the idea of killing any male before he's had the chance to fight and fornicate.

ODH
500 Club

Re: Holding out for big bucks in big woods?

Unread postby ODH » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:21 am

I learned a lot about it from this podcast - Wired To Hunt Podcast #122: How Todd Mead Kills Big Bucks from the Mountains of New York to the Public Lands of the Midwest - his strategies in big woods are very similar to beast tactics. In fact I realized it's the same concepts people write about here every day in every type of woods. It's a good listen. He's written books on it too. Good luck.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:24 am

I’ve been on the beast going on five seasons and 4.5 year old bucks in my area are quite rare. You can’t kill what doesn’t exist.

I’d guess that the large majority of bucks killed are 2.5 year olds.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:45 am

First welcome to site and congrats on your kills

Did you send in the teeth to have them aged? Deer can fool anyone on age its all about genetics. They could be older than you think?

With hunting deer beds unless you see the deer living there the bed could be from a 1 1/2 year old buck. I don’t hunt beds for but if I did I would have to know for sure a mature buck was the one making the bed.
The Spirit Lives On
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 am

If you can run some cameras or do some glassing. You will hopefully lay eyes on a few big mature bucks. Then you know which ones you want to target. That makes it easier to pass on smaller ones, even if they are nice ones.

I have always been a believer that trail cams save the lives of more bucks than they've helped me kill. Because without them I would shoot the first decent looking buck I saw and end up with a wall full of 2.5 to 3.5's. I would probably kill more bucks but not the big mature ones.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:28 am

ODH wrote:I learned a lot about it from this podcast - Wired To Hunt Podcast #122: How Todd Mead Kills Big Bucks from the Mountains of New York to the Public Lands of the Midwest - his strategies in big woods are very similar to beast tactics. In fact I realized it's the same concepts people write about here every day in every type of woods. It's a good listen. He's written books on it too. Good luck.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with Todd and haven't listened to this one yet. I almost exclusivesly listen to hunting podcasts during my commute, so am always excited to find new content, especially something as applicable as this sounds. I'll listen this week for sure. I have the Salerno brothers tracking book somewhere, they are also an awesome Adirondack deer hunting resource.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I’ve been on the beast going on five seasons and 4.5 year old bucks in my area are quite rare. You can’t kill what doesn’t exist.

I’d guess that the large majority of bucks killed are 2.5 year olds.

I know, and to be honest with you, I am happy to just finally fill tags in NH with some consistency - bc growing up I didn't even see deer, let alone harvest any. I'm just curious if anyone around here or in a similar big woods / low density environment has figured out a way to consistently kill mature bucks. I know some very good hunters here, but they all travel out of state to Target big bucks, and shoot whatever they can here for the freezer.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:If you can run some cameras or do some glassing. You will hopefully lay eyes on a few big mature bucks. Then you know which ones you want to target. That makes it easier to pass on smaller ones, even if they are nice ones.

I have always been a believer that trail cams save the lives of more bucks than they've helped me kill. Because without them I would shoot the first decent looking buck I saw and end up with a wall full of 2.5 to 3.5's. I would probably kill more bucks but not the big mature ones.

I've been glassing some hay fields and small clear cuts most nights during the summer,.and finally did locate what is a true trophy buck for this area, so am looking forward to hunting him during early bow season in Sept.if conditions permit. I'll need a south wind to do it right.

I know what you mean about the cameras, I was just thinking the same exact thing the other day. I've never used them, but am thinking I really need to take the plunge if I want to start taking yet my big bucks.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:49 am

Ishi Spirit wrote:First welcome to site and congrats on your kills

Did you send in the teeth to have them aged? Deer can fool anyone on age its all about genetics. They could be older than you think?

With hunting deer beds unless you see the deer living there the bed could be from a 1 1/2 year old buck. I don’t hunt beds for but if I did I would have to know for sure a mature buck was the one making the bed.

No I haven't, and you're right, some could have been older. It's not all that unusual here to have a basket rack 6 or small 8 dress out at or near 200 lbs. I shot a thin, small racked 8 last season that dressed 197# , and figured he was 2.5 - 3.5, but who knows ?

I have seen a few monsters here though, of which there is no question of maturity.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 pm

The oldest big woods buck I killed was 6.5+ in western VA National Forest, a basket rack 7 pt. The biggest was 4.5 150ish ten point from northern Adirondacks. I kill a 3.5 every year almost in WV. Killing a 4.5 year old buck in eastern mountain big woods just is not easy and there is no secret. It takes time and dedication and determination and constantly adjusting and learning and making mistakes. On an average year I have one sighting and potential opportunity at a 4.5 or older hunting October into January.

It sounds like you’re doing it right but you can’t kill what is not there and there just are not that many big mature 4.5 year old bucks running around, especially where you are. Look how much someone like the Benoits traveled to find big bucks in the Northeast. You may want to start scouting and hunting different areas. My experience in the ADK’s was pockets of good deer and good bucks where good habitat diversity occurred, especially if it included logging.
But the only consistent way I have found to get on older bucks in big woods is dogged determination and a lot of in season scouting. Snow in your area is another way to find big bucks. And tracking is a great way to hunt big bucks in the NE.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Joe Belly-High Rub wrote:
ODH wrote:I learned a lot about it from this podcast - Wired To Hunt Podcast #122: How Todd Mead Kills Big Bucks from the Mountains of New York to the Public Lands of the Midwest - his strategies in big woods are very similar to beast tactics. In fact I realized it's the same concepts people write about here every day in every type of woods. It's a good listen. He's written books on it too. Good luck.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with Todd and haven't listened to this one yet. I almost exclusivesly listen to hunting podcasts during my commute, so am always excited to find new content, especially something as applicable as this sounds. I'll listen this week for sure. I have the Salerno brothers tracking book somewhere, they are also an awesome Adirondack deer hunting resource.

The hunting public podcast #60 with greg litzinger is a good one he hunts mountain terrain and hunts new jersey Dude is a killer. He has a couple other podcast too. I think one on wired to hunt and i think another one with hunting public. He has a youtube page as well. Check him out!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:00 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:

The hunting public podcast #60 with greg litzinger is a good one he hunts mountain terrain and hunts new jersey Dude is a killer. He has a couple other podcast too. I think one on wired to hunt and i think another one with hunting public. He has a youtube page as well. Check him out!
There are probably a big one or two around there some where i have seen and heard of some good bucks out of the new england area, they are there you just have to want it!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:21 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:

Greg has one with THP and an older one with Midwest Whitetail. Definitely worth listening to. Don’t know about wired to hunt- I don’t listen to many podcasts. Greg is a great example of finding what works for you in big woods. There are plenty of tactics available but you have got to figure out what works for you.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 am

The hunting public podcast #60 with greg litzinger is a good one he hunts mountain terrain and hunts new jersey Dude is a killer. He has a couple other podcast too. I think one on wired to hunt and i think another one with hunting public. He has a youtube page as well. Check him out![/quote]

Thanks, I love thp, can't believe I missed the fact they have a podcast! Will def check out this episode and many others.
Joe Belly-High Rub

Unread postby Joe Belly-High Rub » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 am

brancher147 wrote:The oldest big woods buck I killed was 6.5+ in western VA National Forest, a basket rack 7 pt. The biggest was 4.5 150ish ten point from northern Adirondacks. I kill a 3.5 every year almost in WV. Killing a 4.5 year old buck in eastern mountain big woods just is not easy and there is no secret. It takes time and dedication and determination and constantly adjusting and learning and making mistakes. On an average year I have one sighting and potential opportunity at a 4.5 or older hunting October into January.

It sounds like you’re doing it right but you can’t kill what is not there and there just are not that many big mature 4.5 year old bucks running around, especially where you are. Look how much someone like the Benoits traveled to find big bucks in the Northeast. You may want to start scouting and hunting different areas. My experience in the ADK’s was pockets of good deer and good bucks where good habitat diversity occurred, especially if it included logging.
But the only consistent way I have found to get on older bucks in big woods is dogged determination and a lot of in season scouting. Snow in your area is another way to find big bucks. And tracking is a great way to hunt big bucks in the NE.

This is what I was hoping to hear, makes me feel better about the deer I'm shooting here and helps confirm what I suspected. I do a lot of upland and waterfowl hunting with my 4 year old field lab, so realistically, do not have the free time required to target only big bucks, especially the in-season scouting part.

I do hope to do some snow tracking this season, either in Maine or Vermont during one of their late muzzle loader seasons. Since I have used this site to learn how to kill deer, I never have a NH gun tag by the time the snow starts falling . I have the Benoits book and the Salerno brothers and will be reviewing beforehand. I understand there is an expert snow tracker from northern WI on this forum as well, so will be digging through those old threads as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”