Ever consider Climbing Spurs for deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sequoia

Ever consider Climbing Spurs for deer hunting?

Unread postby Sequoia » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:37 am

Hey fellas,

Put together a little video on my hunting setup for this year. It is by far the most compact and lightweight system I have used. Still tweaking some things but thought I'd share with the group.

If you would like to see more on how I modified the spurs or any of my other gear just post a comment here or on the video and I'll see what i can do.

PS - There's some hunting recovery footage with one of the bucks I took with my recurve in a past season towards the end. Hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwN9r4TR-yM

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
Ghost Hunter

Re: Ever consider Climbing Spurs for deer hunting?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Nice setup. Liked video too, good buck.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Nice video. This is the same way I've been doing it, when using my spikes (on private only). If only Missouri would let us use spikes where they're needed most...on public. :violin: I've used my old Buckinghams ever season for the past 25 years and if any trees have been damaged from their use, I must've missed it. :shock:
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:14 pm

Been considering going the climbing spurs route myself, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Flinginairos swears by them. If I get some private land in the future, I’ll probably give it a shot.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Nice setup. Liked video too, good buck.

Thanks, sir. I appreciate it. Excited to be hunting with these this year. I was previously using muddy pro climbing sticks

- Col Ripley
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Sequoia wrote:Hey fellas,

Put together a little video on my hunting setup for this year. It is by far the most compact and lightweight system I have used. Still tweaking some things but thought I'd share with the group.

If you would like to see more on how I modified the spurs or any of my other gear just post a comment here or on the video and I'll see what i can do.

PS - There's some hunting recovery footage with one of the bucks I took with my recurve in a past season towards the end. Hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwN9r4TR-yM

Awesome video. I have definitely thought of using climbing Spurs but haven't felt comfortable with the safety factor yet. How long have you been using them? Have you had any slips while hunting, especially in the rain?
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:08 am

I use climbing spurs and BEAST sticks w/a CAYG aider depending on location I'm hunting. Great choice for certain situations.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 am

I throw them in my pack with my saddle when scouting in season. I am a novice for sure but I just take my time and go slow. Just like the Flinginarrow video shows.
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

HunterBob wrote:Awesome video. I have definitely thought of using climbing Spurs but haven't felt comfortable with the safety factor yet. How long have you been using them? Have you had any slips while hunting, especially in the rain?

HunterBob,

I've just been testing them out in the backyard so far. Will be hunting with them this season. They are awkward at first and you don't feel safe. After climbing to about six feet several times i started to feel more comfortable and get the hang of it. Once i was comfortable i started climbing higher. After about 6 separate sessions of using them I'm very comfortable with them now.

I can't comment from experience about the rain but since you're penetrating the bark of the tree, I can't see how a rainy day or a dry day would make too much of a difference on most tree trunks. Again, just my thoughts, havent climbed in the rain or after one yet. I'll continue to test them throughout this season and you will see me using them in my hunting videos.

Thanks for watching!

- Col Ripley
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

A buddy loaned me a pair to try. They tore the the trees up bad which I could see someone finding your tree because of it, and you have to be in good to great shape to use them. I wasn’t sold so I’ll just stick to my climbing sticks
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I have never used them hunting, but I use them often at work . Biggest tip I can give is "To keep your hooks in keep your but out." You do not want to stay to close to the tree. If your gaffs get to vertical your going to gaff out and slide a little ways until your lineman belt catches. Bark burn sucks but it heals. Rain or shine they do the job as long as they are sharp. They will damage/wound a tree. It most likley wouldn't kill it but there is a chance of disease or bugs entering the wounds. I personally like my sticks for hunting but if gaffs are what work then use the hack out of them and shoot straight. Great video. Thanks for posting it.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Great video. This is an idea I have been going back and forth with each year. I've gotten good with sticks and stand but the idea of not hauling sticks around is very appealing. Those bad boys aren't cheap either!
GetHomeSafe

Unread postby GetHomeSafe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Hawthorne wrote:A buddy loaned me a pair to try. They tore the the trees up bad which I could see someone finding your tree because of it, and you have to be in good to great shape to use them. I wasn’t sold so I’ll just stick to my climbing sticks

I am 66 yrs old soon. A few pounds too big. First you don't have to be in great shape. In soft pines like a balsam pine it will cause sap to run and you could find it if you know what your seeing. In many trees it is hard to tell. If you want help write me back I will give you info on hardware and how to use it. But honestly, I have been hunting this way for 30 yrs. It is by far the easiest way up a tree. About the cheapest you could go would be steel spurs with L shaped pads. If you mod the padding a little at home, it's easy, then they are very, very, comfortable to use. Done correctly it is also very safe. Several specifics involved that are not intuitive. If you want help let me know. I would be happy to assist.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Spikes are great where allowed. I'm down to those or my BEAST sticks. The two best ascending/descending methods there are. Nice video!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:26 am

So I bought some spurs from a guy who bought them for a job and didnt use them. new. never been climbed. Klein, 180$ steel though. Other than the weight, I love them. I am going to use them when I can this year. Maybe I am crazy, but i tried them without a harness and climbed to 6 feet, then I went and got my harness and the first climb was hunting height. lol. Ok... I am a little crazy. Other than that, my only experience with spurs was when I was a kid, I stuck the right one into my left ankle, trying to climb like my uncle did. They told me not to and to leave them alone, but I snuck them out of the shop and tried them out, in the dark, with sneakers on. lol. I guess that is the way I learn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”