WI trip - start to finish!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: WI trip - start to finish!

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 am

Cool pic!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:15 am

Lockdown wrote:I decided I’m going to keep all my updates here rather than live from the field. Found quite a few deer this morning. 16 does and 2 bucks. 1 shooter and he was just off public about 400 yards from one of my pins.

Tyler is scouting one property, I’ll be heading about 1 1/4 miles in to scope out the potential spots for this buck. He was eyeing up 5 does in the bean field.

Lots of tracks crossing the road.

Not a good pic of the buck. Pretty sure he’s a three year old. Big bodied deer. I knew it was a shooter the second I saw him.

Nice to see him up on his feet at that time of day.

Good luck man
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:33 am

Put on 5 miles this morning. Bucks are telegraphing their bedding. Saw 2 rubs in 1.7 miles of walking then 3 on the point of dry land heading to the island I had pinned. 3 fresh scrapes there too. That island is right next to the beans where I saw the shooter this morning. I’m seeing tons of scrapes and every one of them is fresh. I bumped a yearling buck at 9:15 that had just finished freshening two of them. Also saw a buck chase a doe but no ID on the buck. He was noticeably bigger than the doe but I don’t think he was a big one.

I’m debating on whether or not to sit that island trail as the wind is iffy and there wasn’t any BIG buck sign there. There easily could be a shooter though. And I’m not holding out for a monster. The biggest thing that sucks is I left scent farther down the point than I wanted to, but you gotta get the intel. Glad I did it but it makes setting up more of an issue.

I did see some big tracks on other parts of the property. Will update more later gotta keep moving!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:55 am

Tyler is scouting new ground a few miles away. I’m going to give those island trails a try despite the marginal wind.

Tyler didn’t see much for sign this morning, and I saw quite a bit. Fresh poop, scrapes, rubs, tracks, and there seems to be plenty of does in here. Not to mention oaks dropping pretty heavy that make sense for this bedding. Fresh sign there too.

I have so many spots I want to check out and I don’t want to not hunt this. If I don’t hunt it I’ll forever wonder what would have happened. And my scent is already in there so might as well give it a shot!

It’s a good spot for a cruiser too. Too many good things going to ignore it! I’ll try and post pics when I’m set up. LW set... not enough cover for ground pound.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:10 am

Sounds like a good plan and set up. Take it to them!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:05 am

Good luck Lockdown!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:17 am

Good luck!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:32 am

Good luck Lockdown! Welcome to WI and hope you drill a big one.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks guys!!

Bumped a buck at 2:30 on the way in. Yearling. Can’t say for certain he came down my point but he left that way.

Tags/tamaracks this way

Tip of the point. Two nice trails converge there coming from bedding and there’s a 3rd right in front of me.

Shooting lanes. Sooooo nice being able to shoot without trimming anything!! I usually have to trim just to get into the tree.

Blue jays just fired up on the island. Got squirrels knocking acorns out of a red oak 10 yds away.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Nothing. Didn’t even bump anything on the way out. :think: pretty close to a mile and a half walk...

Tyler saw 5 does and fawns and 2 little bucks. He tried to get out in the swamp and said it was real tough going.

After I got down I decided to head into the island to see what was up. I didn’t want to for wind reasons earlier. I made it with only my knee boots. It was easy :think: it was also wide open in there. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t search the other end which looked a LITTLE thicker. Didn’t want to get stranded and had a long walk out in the dark. It looked like a guy could do some damage with a rifle in there.

Also, pretty good population of ruffed grouse around here. Had two different birds within 12 yards of me tonight. Apparently they’re not afraid of hunters in a tree...

Gonna shine a few spots on the way home and come up with a morning plan.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:34 pm

I would check the Regan to confirm, but don’t believe
In so you can shine with your bow in your car. May be wrong. It thought that was the rule.

Also, shoot those grouse, they’re darn tasty!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:09 am

Kraftd wrote:I would check the Regan to confirm, but don’t believe
In so you can shine with your bow in your car. May be wrong. It thought that was the rule.

Also, shoot those grouse, they’re darn tasty!

Tyler has both bows in his truck, I had the spotlight :D

Shined one property that I will dig into later, no bucks but 8 does in 4 miles on the north end.

Shined 3 spots on the north side one on county and saw zero deer in 15 miles of likely looking spots :think: . Trails didn’t look good. Crossing that entire area off the list.

I’m on the South end of that county this morning. Found some deer in the headlights including a couple bucks. 9 deer total which is pretty good for headlights alone. 4 different trucks in public parking lots, but none at the parcel I had in mind. Waiting another couple minutes so I can see. Going to circle the section to glass the fields then head in.

Tyler is at a monster swamp in a different county. If I don’t find anything promising I’ll be there tomorrow as well.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:21 am

Big buck headed toward public! 1/2 mile from it following a doe. 140” ten
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 am

8-) 8-)
This is as much fun following as Dan's public land challenge!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 am

Glad you’re enjoying it Mike!

I didn’t get the big one, or see him, but I was in the game 100%. Threw the waders on and crossed the river and was in business. I passed a 6 point from 8 yards on the ground (bow drawn, pins on vitals) and a doe and fawn at 20. Saw what I thought was the big one at 70 yards through the pines. Tried calling him in but no luck. Gave it time and gave up at 10:00. Snuck around the point and the buck had circled back with a doe. I was easing along glassing down below by the river and they were up top on military crest. They were in bow range when they bolted and 60 yards from my original position... heading right for me!! He was a nice buck shooter for sure but didn’t get a good look.

Kill tree has been selected.

I’m at spot #2 for speed scout. Looks awesome. Rubs in the parking lot.

I’ve already seen as many shooters as I see all year in MN. I need to get the heck out of that state!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”