WI trip - start to finish!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: WI trip - start to finish!

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:08 am

:text-worthless: ;) :mrgreen:

Seriously good luck, I know your having fun!!!!

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Here you go Stash!

After seeing the tank of a buck (140” is probably conservative) and the encounters mentioned above, I scouted that new piece. Plenty of sign by the road and deer shined here. There were some islands I was dying to check out and they were ghost towns. Very little fresh sign. Acorns in the beds even. The bucks (including a big one) were there a few weeks ago but aren’t now.

I followed an OBVIOUS rub line to some unexpected bedding and gave it some serious thought. Big rubs, big poop, but nothing fresh so I busted it. Nobody home. This bedding area taught me sooo much. It was bedding watching access... even though its remote. Even I f there was a buck home my hunt would have been over before I left the dry land. He could see everything. 8-)

I’m going to do a thread on this bedding when I get home. The differences I’m seeing between bedding here and bedding at home are vast. It’s due to the differing habitat, and also pressure.

Anyway, Tyler also checked some really remote islands today and they were ghost towns too. No more wasting time going remote. All the deer we’re seeing are in or very near food. They’re pressured out of the normal summer and early season bedding on public, and they’re heading to the neighbors and standing corn fields for safety.

Once the guns come out they’ll feel they have nowhere to hide... THEN they’ll be on those swamp islands. That was my inclination for my MN stuff to. Seeing this just drove it home.

I sat my kill tree hoping for the big ten tonight. No deer but visibility is very limited. Going to give it one more try in the morning. He has been back there in the past and wasn’t far from it this morning. Would be stupid not to try!

Tyler is heading to a new spot. He’s crossing a river then heading way to the back where there are ag fields. Hopefully nobody else has been back there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanx!!! I really was just kidding. But yeah that's a guudun.

I know this area is all new to you. But how wet does it seem. Wetter than normal. Way wetter than normal. Normal. If wetter. Has this impacted where the deer and mainly, mature bucks are. Similar to the Public Land Challenge.

No need to go into details at this moment. I can wait until the hunt is over and you share your over view of the whole hunt.

And now that you started. Keep those pics coming!!!!! ;) :clap:
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Awesome updates and information Lockdown! You’re very adept at breaking everything down and figuring it all out. Definitely an interesting thread to keep up with! Learning lots from this!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Stash it’s pretty wet here, but nothing crazy. Some bedding like tag alders are flooded some. I don’t think it’s having a huge impact. Most of these swamps are shallow.

The two we checked out yesterday were only ankle to shin deep while walking through the marsh grass. That really surprised me. Of course I put my waders on preparing for war, then could have got by with knee boots :lol:

I was sweating so bad by the time I got back to the truck that my jeans were damp. Made me question if I had a leak from the river crossing that morning. But nope ;)

Me and Tyler are feeling the 4.5-5.5 hour nights of sleep. Getting harder to pick the head up off the pillow!! Short trip so we’ll keep grinding...
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:38 am

We seem to be having the same thing going on at the moment. Bucks aren’t in swamp bedding they normally are at the moment and the big ones don’t seem to be pushing the does around too much like the little guys are. Best we can tell is they have to be keyed on the corn that’s still standing.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:29 am

Kraftd wrote:We seem to be having the same thing going on at the moment. Bucks aren’t in swamp bedding they normally are at the moment and the big ones don’t seem to be pushing the does around too much like the little guys are. Best we can tell is they have to be keyed on the corn that’s still standing.

Even alot of beans still not harvested around here. Means alot of late standing corn this year, I'd bet!!!!!

Lockdown I'd bet alot of that ankle high water your in. Would just barely wet your boot bottoms most years.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:15 am

As I was sitting on stand in the dark this morning, a car drive by blaring “Another one bites the dust” by Queen. I smiled to myself and though “yeah hopefully a deer bites the dust this morning!”

Saw 10 does and fawns. Finally got one to read the script and I smoked her. Easy shot. She ran 50 yards.

Tyler saw two small bucks and a couple does this morning. Said sign looked real good in there!

Shot her at 9:30. Still gotta get her out.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:30 am

Congrats LD!
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 am

Nice doe Lockdown!! Keep on grinding,,,
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:06 am

Congratulations!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:36 am

8-) :clap: :dance:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 am

Kraftd wrote:We seem to be having the same thing going on at the moment. Bucks aren’t in swamp bedding they normally are at the moment and the big ones don’t seem to be pushing the does around too much like the little guys are. Best we can tell is they have to be keyed on the corn that’s still standing.

Agree with this.

I've dove in deep twice to oak islands from season opener to about two weeks ago and nothing back there oaks weren't hit. Sign was a year old. One is now underwater so they'll never be back for food on that one.

Definitely a little different. I'm focusing on drier transitions, which can be tough on some properties.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:41 am

Thanks guys!

That’s as high as I could get for shooting lane reasons. Doe and 2 fawns within 10 yards (pic is where doe was standing). One fawn was looking at me but I went for broke... I drew and she busted then stopped. Doe stayed put just long enough!

Tyler is back at it at same spot as this morning, I’m going to check something new out. No big buck tracks at my honey hole, and I’m looking to go learn some more. 3 hunts at one tiny spot is enough.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:56 am

Why did it take me so long to read this thread? Go get em Lockdown!
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”