Need help with set up!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lonewolf_1981

Need help with set up!

Unread postby Lonewolf_1981 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:14 am

Alright fellow beasters! I'm still new to beast style but have been adjusting my style for about 2 years now. I found a very hot bedding spot on the last day of my hunt last year in this specific area. I found it on a mid day scout but stupid me didn't have my stand and sticks on my back so I had to trek back to the truck. Upon coming back about 2 hours later I had a nice buck already come back to bed and I bumped him out. In efforts to be more prepared this year I hung a cam on the timber trail but need your help on how I should hunt this timber island/marsh edge come fall. So tell me how would you access and where would you set up. I've tried to label the pic with the most information possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

backstraps

Re: Need help with set up!

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:08 am

Which marker is the buck bed? The one to the east in the picture?

Is the footpath you used to hang cam your only access?

Is the map facing with up being true north, and whats your prevailing wind?
Lonewolf_1981

Unread postby Lonewolf_1981 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:06 am

backstraps wrote:Which marker is the buck bed? The one to the east in the picture?

Is the footpath you used to hang cam your only access?

Is the map facing with up being true north, and whats your prevailing wind?

- Orange dots are beds, so west in picture.

- No I basically walked in through the deer path in early July. It is thick but walk-able.

- Map is set up for true north. I would say prevailing wind is a South, Southwest. I have only been exposed to this area for 3 years as its a destination hunt and I don't live in this state.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 am

Well id have to be honest here....with all the beds you have marked, I'm not sure how I would approach this site. I would suspect most of those are doe beds being that close together.

A lot of the beds you have marked, if they were wind based beds, I would assume those would be during the colder months while northern or eastern winds are present.

With the prevailing winds being S and SW, I would want to concentrate my thoughts along the transition with the thick CRP

Sorry I couldn’t be any help
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 am

I wouldn't walk in that way on a S wind. You would have to be on a SW wind and then go around to the east towards the CRP to get around those beds and in to your camera location. Can you access it from what looks like a crescent with trees on the west end? That's a better way on a S wind.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Lonewolf_1981

Unread postby Lonewolf_1981 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 am

Huntress13 wrote:I wouldn't walk in that way on a S wind. You would have to be on a SW wind and then go around to the east towards the CRP to get around those beds and in to your camera location. Can you access it from what looks like a crescent with trees on the west end? That's a better way on a S wind.

I like that idea on the crescent of trees just have never walked that far north and dont know if its 100% water. It looks like the swamp/ponds are split by a thin line of hardwoods. I'll have to check when I have boots on the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”