Ohio earn a buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Ohio earn a buck

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 pm

I have found the new meaning to earn a buck in my home state of Ohio. All the bucks I have shot have been work, By work I mean looking high and low for the right properties that can even hold a mature buck and then gaining permission to hunt it! I hunt mostly public but have been trying hard to gain more private properties to build a plan and to cast a large net in search of a trophy buck. Alot of the farmers where I live like to barter, they give permission in exchange for labor or a skilled trade. I respect this and believe it's not all take but a relationship of give and take. Given my skill set and profession I offer it up or offer some other form of help for hunting.
Lately I've felt like I've been hitting alot of brick walls. I've made contact with about a dozen land owners and their either maxed out on hunters already or needed time to think about it. I left my name and number and gave a brief description of my goals. My train of thought was most guys either hunt the rut or gun hunt so I was hoping for an early season spots and late season spots. I'm hoping to get a call but very optimistic.
So with that said i was wondering on average what everyone else has experienced when it comes to finding properties? How many doors do you knock on before you find a spot? Are you all bartering for your spots? It seems like the stories of the little old lady granting permission to hunt the honey holes are tales anymore. I think alot of folks have been screwed over in the past and are gun shy now. General thoughts?

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Brian1986

Re: Ohio earn a buck

Unread postby Brian1986 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I haven't asked for permission myself, but i know of a guy who does and has fairly decent luck at it. He offers to pay all or a portion (depending on the property size) of the landowner's property taxes for hunting rights for the season.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:10 am

Going in blind, the only properties I've ever accessed are essentially public because they were the type where the LO let everyone and their brother hunt by asking. Which becomes word of mouth and the whole town knows it's quasi-public. Those type of properties in my neck of the woods actually seem to get more pressure than public, and attract a high rate of frankly slob hunters.

I've hunted a few decent properties just by networking and getting to know people personally. Even then I've run into headaches. Always some in-law of the third cousin that thinks he's Donny Drury and then it begins. I don't even try and just stick to public anymore. I'm not one for putting up with headaches and there's a lot of public around me.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:41 am

It's such a money game down here, that asking for permission for free seems like a slap in the face to the landowner in my opinion. Couple that with the fact that everyone has some type of family member that hunts.

There are still a few free permission deals out there, but most are close, close family friends and are helping keep properties up for elderly landowners.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:54 am

may21581 wrote:I have found the new meaning to earn a buck in my home state of Ohio. All the bucks I have shot have been work, By work I mean looking high and low for the right properties that can even hold a mature buck and then gaining permission to hunt it! I hunt mostly public but have been trying hard to gain more private properties to build a plan and to cast a large net in search of a trophy buck. Alot of the farmers where I live like to barter, they give permission in exchange for labor or a skilled trade. I respect this and believe it's not all take but a relationship of give and take. Given my skill set and profession I offer it up or offer some other form of help for hunting.
Lately I've felt like I've been hitting alot of brick walls. I've made contact with about a dozen land owners and their either maxed out on hunters already or needed time to think about it. I left my name and number and gave a brief description of my goals. My train of thought was most guys either hunt the rut or gun hunt so I was hoping for an early season spots and late season spots. I'm hoping to get a call but very optimistic.
So with that said i was wondering on average what everyone else has experienced when it comes to finding properties? How many doors do you knock on before you find a spot? Are you all bartering for your spots? It seems like the stories of the little old lady granting permission to hunt the honey holes are tales anymore. I think alot of folks have been screwed over in the past and are gun shy now. General thoughts?

I don't ask permission personally, I just hunt the family farm or public. BUT, you said about the little old lady granting permission... My grandmother owns about 20 acres of creek bottom, swampy area that my family does nothing with. She lets everyone and their brother hunt down there if they ask. She likes that people ask her and feels respected and she says "sure". So often when I'm using ONXmaps to hunt/scout on public I see bordering private land owners names and sometimes I read, Grace, Ethel, Nelly and all those old names, and sometimes they own hundreds and hundreds of acres and I think about my own Grandmother and how she is. Could be something to profiling for old ladies on ONXmaps???? ;)
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:51 pm

may21581 wrote:I have found the new meaning to earn a buck in my home state of Ohio. All the bucks I have shot have been work, By work I mean looking high and low for the right properties that can even hold a mature buck and then gaining permission to hunt it! I hunt mostly public but have been trying hard to gain more private properties to build a plan and to cast a large net in search of a trophy buck. Alot of the farmers where I live like to barter, they give permission in exchange for labor or a skilled trade. I respect this and believe it's not all take but a relationship of give and take. Given my skill set and profession I offer it up or offer some other form of help for hunting.

I feel your pain. Over the last year I have sent out over 200 letters to landowners offering a lease or even just permission, or permission for labor like you had stated. I lost all access to the farms I used to hunt due to selling, family hunting ect. Out of the letters I've had 5 people get back with me and have said either family hunts or leased to people who live out of state. It's a daunting task and I believe it's only gonna get harder here. I was shocked to find out how many people out of state lease land here. I don't have a problem paying a lease bc I do believe farmers deserve something in return not a free handout. But i haven't even been able to have much success even offering that. There was a property that I could have got but couldn't compete with Michigan guys money they were paying. $ 30 an acre for 200 acres and I bet it would have just turned into a bidding war and I didnt feel that was right. Anyways good luck to you ! I have started hunting public more and it's also crowded but I have found some success.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:27 pm

I guess I will be the one thats going to go against the grain here.

For maybe the first 6-7 years I hunted Ohio, I made an effort EVERY trip I made throughout the year to Ohio ...I personally asked at least one land owner for permission. Many trips several people.

Naturally I was politely told no a lot. I did however get a bunch of yes!

I do not pay a cent to any landowner. I do stay in touch... send birthday, Christmas cards.. bring small appreciation gifts etc They know me now and know I genuinely appreciate the use of their lands. I respect all the owners, their wishes and treat their property the same way. Many know id be happy to help with land taxes, pay a fee etc but none would accept even when I offered. I have done A LOT of labor free to help the owners... but Ive never been asked to help. I volunteer and offer to do things needed done.

It’s because I talk to people. Letters work for some people. Random phone calls for some. Me I am a personable type guy. I am honest trustworthy and don't try snd BS or take advantage of anyone. Maybe land owners see that in me....maybe because I am a non resident and the land owner knows I won’t be at their place all season long??

I guess long story short.... dont give up!! Keep trying, stay positive and keep trying!!
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 am

backstraps wrote:I guess I will be the one thats going to go against the grain here.

For maybe the first 6-7 years I hunted Ohio, I made an effort EVERY trip I made throughout the year to Ohio ...I personally asked at least one land owner for permission. Many trips several people.

I do not pay a cent to any landowner. I do stay in touch... send birthday, Christmas cards.. bring small appreciation gifts etc They know me now and know I genuinely appreciate the use of their lands. I respect all the owners, their wishes and treat their property the same way. Many know id be happy to help with land taxes, pay a fee etc but none would accept even when I offered. I have done A LOT of labor free to help the owners... but Ive never been asked to help. I volunteer and offer to do things needed done.

It’s because I talk to people. Letters work for some people. Random phone calls for some. Me I am a personable type guy. I am honest trustworthy and don't try snd BS or take advantage of anyone. Maybe land owners see that in me....maybe because I am a non resident and the land owner knows I won’t be at their place all season long??

I guess long story short.... dont give up!! Keep trying, stay positive and keep trying!!

Being a good honest friendly person whos looking out for others goes a long way.....in any endeavor! Glad to hear you've had good success getting permission.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:07 am

backstraps wrote:I guess I will be the one thats going to go against the grain here.

That's awesome. But yeah, to put my previous answer in context this is not me at all. I am not a hermit by any means, but I am also not outgoing either. It takes me a long time to warm up to people and that makes procuring permission a very unnatural experience to me, I just find it a big hassle. Different strokes for different folks.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 am

Ohio native. I primarily work in commercial construction. There's pretty good opportunity to get limited 1-2 year access on farms that have been sold and are going to be developed for homes or commercial real estate. Working on job sites helps to get your foot in the door with the bigger developers. Ive also used the xxx builder lets me hunt at xxx to gain permission. A lot actually do appreciate you keeping an eye on the land for trespassing, especially semideveloped neighborhoods where kids might vandalize stuff on the weekend. If you get permission, lots of other trade guys will try to piggyback if they see you going in.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 am

elk yinzer wrote:

That's awesome. But yeah, to put my previous answer in context this is not me at all. I am not a hermit by any means, but I am also not outgoing either. It takes me a long time to warm up to people and that makes procuring permission a very unnatural experience to me, I just find it a big hassle. Different strokes for different folks.

I absolutely agree and not everyone has the “nack” for striking up a conversation with a complete stranger and walk away friends

My comments were not directed towards anyone in particular. I know guys that have success with letter and phones calls. Im actually a little jealous of two friends that acquired two AWESOME private farms in MO. Both farms, that has produced some dandy bucks for them, via phone calls
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:36 am

For what it is worth.....

There are areas in which knocking on the door still works, unfortunately those places are declining. I have been fortunate enough to hunt great properties all my life but at the same time most of these properties have almost always been overrun with hunters, one of my best pieces is a 176 acre tract that has has as many as 18 hunters from 13 different states on it in one season and many of those at the same time. So from time to time, to get away from the crowds I have had to go in search of permission with at least a little less pressure. I have been told no my fair share of times but I have received a lot of yes's over the years as well and I personally believe all of those yes's were the result of one thing.

The one thing I believe that has helped me gain access more than anything else is FIRST getting to know the person, don't show your hunting cards right outta the gate. A LOT of landowners today like to know something about the people on their property, it is a crazy world we live in and the bad apples have ruined it for us good ones. You don't have to learn their life stories but a couple visits or making a point to go talk to them a couple times when you see them in public and engage in conversation. I know that's not easy for some folks, some aren't personable but myself, I could have a days long conversation about just about anything, even barbie dolls, with a telephone pole if it would stand there long enough. More than once if I have come across a piece I want to hunt and I don't know the landowner or only know them a little, I will make a point to do whatever I can to get to know them and get them to know me. I can remember getting access to one place a few years back that no one could seem to get access too. Didn't know the landowner from a load of coal but I just stopped by one day and my excuse was an old car he had parked behind the barn. I did not want that car but that car was my "in". I stopped and asked, we talked about it, of course it wasn't for sale anyways but talk about that car lead to conversations about nearly everything for that hour that I was there. I left and a couple weeks later I ran into him and his wife in public and we shot the bull and had some laughs for 10-15 mins and then parted ways. Couple weeks went by and I just stopped by and after a brief conversation about how each of our families were doing I eased into a conversation about whether he hunts or not and that snowballed into me asking him if I could and he couldn't say yes fast enough.

That strategy has worked for me on many occassions. A lot of landowners like to know they aren't just being used for hunting, if they feel that way I assure you that your chance of gaining access is slim to none. Maybe you won't get access this year but if you strike up a friendship and just keep in touch now and then, more than likely next year you are chasing a big buck on that property. You don't absolutely have to have access RIGHT NOW, most of society anymore has to have everything RIGHT NOW and if I have learned anything in my life its that a little bit of patience, kindness and respect go a very long ways.

I know this is not something easily done by a NR but a NR could take the approach of getting to know a hunter local to the area he desires and then maybe that hunter could get him leads on a piece or 2.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:00 am

What would you have done if he said yes the car is for sale at a ridiculously low price?
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:26 am

may21581 wrote:What would you have done if he said yes the car is for sale at a ridiculously low price?

I woulda said “well, i’ll tell my father in law as he’s the one who is interested.” :lol:
Hunt Hard or Go Home
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:33 am

Good call!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”