Evaluate these areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Evaluate these areas

Unread postby Elite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 am

This is my first post and I'm really excited to get your input regarding buck bedding, access, etc.

This is a public spot I scouted this past April looking for buck bedding. The only access to this piece is from the north (yellow line). The "finger" is surrounded by spongy, carpet-like swamp. I can walk on it but it's playing roulette and I could fall through. On the finger I found a bunch of doe beds and pin oaks. As you can see, the property makes a big funnel with a swamp/pond with a creek to the east. My plan was to hang and hunt this funnel, but the presumed buck bedding is approximately 175-200 yards away to the south.

As you move south of the funnel, a primary ridge runs down the middle of the woods (north to south), with a secondary ridge (I think that's what it's called) running north and south along the transition line between the swamp and woods. Along this secondary ridge are multiple scrapes, indicated by the icon that looks like 3 slashes, and rubs (icon looks like a lantern). There are also oaks close to this secondary ridge which I assume the buck are feeding on when coming off the points.

There are points that go out into the swamp where I assume bucks are bedding, though I didnt find beds, just rubs. The red asterisks are assumed buck beds. To the east you can see a yellow icon which indicates a high point. I didn't find any rubs but it would be a good spot for a mature buck to bed. There's a small beaver dam (yellow x icon) that deer can walk on to get to this high point, as well.

Because of the ridges and thermals, I don't know what wind to hunt here. To hunt the funnel, a west to south wind would be best, but what about hunting the buck bedding? What can I expect with the thermals here? Should I hunt the funnel and then move south?

Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Evaluate these areas

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 am

For swamp bedding your marks are where I would look.
That finger sticking out jumps out

It is possible they hill country bed but if pressures high your right I would think bedding would be on that southern finger.

What wind direction do you plan to hunt the treestand on?
Why is the stand not closer to bedding to be in the game? Be aggressive.

Thermals will fall torward the east into the swamp in the evening unless you find a certain ditch or pocket that acts strange. .

I would sit at the pink circle because it's where 2 transition lines meet. Then I would hunt that southern bed then a third sit near my bottom yellow circle. Have you scouted the yellow circles for bedding by the beaver pond?
Screenshot_20190731-092616_Photo Editor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:06 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:For swamp bedding your marks are where I would look.

It is possible they hill country bed but if pressures high your right I would think bedding would be on that southern finger.

Thermals will fall torward the east into the swamp in the evening unless you find a certain ditch or pocket that acts strange. .

I would sit at the pink circle because it's where 2 transition lines meet. Then I would hunt that southern bed then a third sit near my bottom yellow circle. Have you scouted the yellow circles for bedding by the beaver pond? Screenshot_20190731-092616_Photo Editor.jpg

I should've clarified that I placed stand markers in spots where I could possibly sit. However, I did find a stand with climbing sticks on the primary ridge, just to the east of the green "apple" icons. Not sure if this is a rifle or bow stand.

In terms of wind direction, my instinct tells me to hunt on a SW to west wind. Thoughts?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:

I would sit at the pink circle because it's where 2 transition lines meet. Then I would hunt that southern bed then a third sit near my bottom yellow circle. Have you scouted the yellow circles for bedding by the beaver pond? Screenshot_20190731-092616_Photo Editor.jpg

Unfortunately, it's private land just to the east of your middle yellow circle. I did scout the public and found rubs but no beds
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am

Elite wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:For swamp bedding your marks are where I would look.

I should've clarified that I placed stand markers in spots where I could possibly sit. However, I did find a stand with climbing sticks on the primary ridge, just to the east of the green "apple" icons. Not sure if this is a rifle or bow stand.

In terms of wind direction, my instinct tells me to hunt on a SW to west wind. Thoughts?

That's the winds I would have chosen.
If their is pressure up high theirs probably better bedding on the swamp fingers. Bucks have smelled the hunter up on that ridge alot from dropping thermals and probably avoid it besides nighttime feeding.

It will probably take you a few sits to figure out the best spot. I still would hunt my pink dot a sit alot of transitition meets in that small area.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:49 am

What would be the best way of approaching this spot given the only access is from the north?

The yellow line is how I've been accessing the funnel. Deer can't see me if I loop around the finger (yellow) but probably will if I follow the red line. However, I risk getting seen by a buck on a south wind if I follow the yellow line.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 am

Elite wrote:What would be the best way of approaching this spot given the only access is from the north?

The yellow line is how I've been accessing the funnel. Deer can't see me if I loop around the finger (yellow) but probably will if I follow the red line. However, I risk getting seen by a buck on a south wind if I follow the yellow line.

I would just follow the yellow line you have should be good for a west or southwest wind.

Hunt your way south along the transition at several different points. Since you don't know the exact bedding. That's the only way to figure the area out is grid hunt it.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”