So!! "How" does one tighten their groups?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

So!! "How" does one tighten their groups?

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:57 am

The recent thread on how tight should my groups be at 30 yards got me thinking. How do/can we achieve better, tighter groups?

I think it goes back to basics. Things like proper grip, form, back tension, follow through. How do we achieve these. What do they feel like. How can we find out if we need to improve in one of, or, all of these areas.

Well we can ask a friend to watch our shot sequence. But I think better yet would be to film ourselves. Most people have a smart phone with video capabilities. I don't personally, but I do have a digital camera that also does video. So everyone should be able to do this.

Those familiar with me and my interaction on the forum. Know I haven't actually shot a bow for about the last couple of years. The last deer I killed I got with an xbow. When I did shoot either a compound or recurve I was far from an expert. So it may be hard to take advise from me. But my struggles have always kept me searching for ways to improve.

A few years back I did use a 30# recurve for hunting. So I sought out ways to improve. I got turned on to a man named Jeff Kavanagh. So I'll share a link to his YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgGoY0qpH8f11COXWkE8aLQ

And another link to a video he has on form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebS6YPG1Q5k&list=PLAS5TQYStxSsLoMIus-lggP3yYHdUO_1B&index=18&t=0s

I know he's a trad shooter, but think the basics apply to compounds as well. Besides my intent was just to get the discussion started. Hopefully some of you will share links of your favorite archery instructors too!!!!

Here's to better shooting!!!! :violence-bowandarrow: :violence-bowandarrow: :violence-bowandarrow:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: So!! "How" does one tighten their groups?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Recently reviewed John Dudley 'School of Nock' YouTube videos and implemented some of the 'forgotten' gems into my shooting. They are short, to the point, and pretty easy to follow. I believe it's making a difference ...but it could be the countless number of arrows I'm flinging each day as well.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:53 pm

We never perfect any part of the shot process. There is and will be always something to get better at. Have someone video u in slow montion, watch for any flinch or anticipation of the shot. Then break down your practice into just one single thing at a time not giving a hoot about where the arrow goes. Accurate shooting is about doing all the small steps right and has nothing to do with aiming. This is also based on if your equipment is properly tuned, if not u will never get close to full potential.

I'm also a Bowhunter and not an archer looking to qualify for the Olympic trials. I don't care nothing about getting proper stance or feet aligned etc... Seems in my world of hunting situations 95% of my shots are manufactured and I just try to get my bow arm shoulder pointed at the target. I practice accordingly. I shoot barebow recurve, never have used a range finder and I'm a country idiot and can tell you the mind is a powerful thing.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:Recently reviewed John Dudley 'School of Nock' YouTube videos and implemented some of the 'forgotten' gems into my shooting. They are short, to the point, and pretty easy to follow. I believe it's making a difference ...but it could be the countless number of arrows I'm flinging each day as well.

This ^^

I can't tell you how repeatable that's made me, as well as having way less pin float. And pro tip from John, don't stress about pin float... Let it float and execute the shot.

By all means, watch all the episodes and practice.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 pm

Today I took the time to put one of my lumenocks on each arrow and nock tuned until they all hit the x at 20 yards. You’d be surprised how a simple twist of the nock can affect the arrows POI.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:14 pm

Tune and Form. George Ryals videos helped me a lot. He has a series called Thing a Week. Also watched a seminar he did for coaches that helped me understand a lot.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:22 pm

For me I do a ton of blind bale shooting to fully engrain the muscle memory part of my form. I concentrate on ONE thing at a time. I do this so it is fully engrained and it helps my form better than anything I have ever tried. I shoot trad but is should work for compounds?
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 am

I shoot one arrow “groups” all the time. There haven’t been too many times I’ve gotten a second chance at a deer after shooting at em. It’s either a perfectly placed shot or not. If not, I may have only missed my spot by an inch or two, but it’s nothing but vitals all around. As long as I so everything the way I’m supposed to, the arrows usually go where I need em. Another overlooked thing is, know when to quit. Shooting is fun, but when you get tired, either physically or mentally, your form and shooting goes downhill fast. It’s best just to hang it up and shoot another time. Shooting 1000 bad arrows is not as good as 10 perfect arrows.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:12 pm

AfootTrack56 wrote:I shoot one arrow “groups” all the time. There haven’t been too many times I’ve gotten a second chance at a deer after shooting at em. It’s either a perfectly placed shot or not. If not, I may have only missed my spot by an inch or two, but it’s nothing but vitals all around. As long as I so everything the way I’m supposed to, the arrows usually go where I need em. Another overlooked thing is, know when to quit. Shooting is fun, but when you get tired, either physically or mentally, your form and shooting goes downhill fast. It’s best just to hang it up and shoot another time. Shooting 1000 bad arrows is not as good as 10 perfect arrows.

That last line, so true!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 am

Dpierce72 wrote:Recently reviewed John Dudley 'School of Nock' YouTube videos and implemented some of the 'forgotten' gems into my shooting. They are short, to the point, and pretty easy to follow. I believe it's making a difference ...but it could be the countless number of arrows I'm flinging each day as well.

Also, I'll say as far as 'groups' are concerned, I'd rather shoot 4 arrows at 4 different "8,9, 10, x" rings than the same one. I hate replacing fletchings. A robin hood is okay ;) , but I burn through way more busted fletching ...so not worth it to me to shoot at the same target to produce 'groups'' I do keep score, if you will, but only counting an 8 or above. And to the point above ...I walked away yesterday evening :lol: Good advice!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 am

AfootTrack56 wrote:I shoot one arrow “groups” all the time. There haven’t been too many times I’ve gotten a second chance at a deer after shooting at em. It’s either a perfectly placed shot or not. If not, I may have only missed my spot by an inch or two, but it’s nothing but vitals all around. As long as I so everything the way I’m supposed to, the arrows usually go where I need em. Another overlooked thing is, know when to quit. Shooting is fun, but when you get tired, either physically or mentally, your form and shooting goes downhill fast. It’s best just to hang it up and shoot another time. Shooting 1000 bad arrows is not as good as 10 perfect arrows.

Great post. 8-)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:31 am

Dewey wrote:

Great post. 8-)

Yeah I know I had plenty of summer evenings when I was younger. Where I'd fling dozens of arrows. Knew I should quit, but wanted to end on a positive note/good shot. Another couple dozen arrows later I'd just "have" to quit. Probably why I've had so many glitches through the years!

So what do all of you 1 arrow and done people do. To strengthen your "archery" muscles?

How do you get sighted in?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:57 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Great post. 8-)

Yeah I know I had plenty of summer evenings when I was younger. Where I'd fling dozens of arrows. Knew I should quit, but wanted to end on a positive note/good shot. Another couple dozen arrows later I'd just "have" to quit. Probably why I've had so many glitches through the years!

So what do all of you 1 arrow and done people do. To strengthen your "archery" muscles?

I’m not really a one arrow and done shooter. I like shooting too much. My first shot of the day is the most important one and it is usually some kind of a hunting type scenario. I set up branches or obstacles I have to shoot in between, next to, or over/under. Most of my hunting shots are kneeling or sitting, so I do that from a different angle each time. After that shot, I go over what happened. What I did right or wrong, then I shoot like normal. I usually shoot six arrows, and throughout my practice session, I sprinkle in single arrow “hunting” shots. I try to shoot from all kinds of positions to see how the shot is affected. Ending on a positive note has been an issue for me as well, I’d keep shooting until I got that perfect group, but I realized I was doing more damage than good. So now I call it quits when it’s time. It may be 6 arrows or 60 arrows. It just depends on the day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Great post. 8-)

I went single pin this year and installed an HHA Optimizer. Obviously you cannot sight in with only one shot so I spent one day doing a bunch of shooting to get it dialed in. It was actually really easy since you sight in at 20 yards and 60 yards and the yardage tape does all the calculations for the rest. My bow is already tuned properly so sighting in and grouping was very easy.

Yesterday I shot 3D so I shot a bunch of arrows again but that kind of practice is very good because it mimics actual hunting situations and you only get one shot per target. Otherwise I just shoot one arrow per day putting 100% focus into that shot. If I mess that shot up I have an entire day to analyze what I did wrong and correct that before my next shot. As far as developing “archery” muscles shooting even one arrow each and every day maintains that muscle memory very well. After 40+ years of shooting it all becomes second nature.

To go back to the original post in this thread tightening groups all comes down to a properly tuned bow along with great muscle memory. You have to do every single shot EXACTLY the same each and every time. Target panic obviously is the biggest obstacle. Hard to have good groups if your constantly flinching and punching the trigger. Excessive shooting causes much of this and another reason to focus on a one shot group. When I was younger I shot 200-300 arrows a day just because I loved shooting so much. It was great for building my muscles but very bad for teaching bad habits due to mindlessly just flinging arrows for hours on end. I ended up getting extremely bad target panic later because of this. After cutting way back on my shooting that problem has been completely eliminated.
Coolhandluke

Unread postby Coolhandluke » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 am

My accuracy has really took a gigantic leap this off season. Mostly due to hard work as I haven’t stopped shooting since deer season ended. First it was blank bales indoors while the winter passed by then incorporating more aiming. The few tips that have helped me the most are: 1) work on smooth “surprise” release before worry about aiming. 2)Incorporate aiming but don’t worry about holding dead on let the pins float around the target. 3) pushing with grip hand while pulling with back tension to steady your aim 4) pretending all 4 fingers glued together on release hand instead of using a trigger finger only approach 5) hole stead through the shot
And you can never go wrong with a fresh string and tune up. Can’t wait for October!! :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”