MN regs are out... THIS IS BAD!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ranger Matthews

Re: MN regs are out... THIS IS BAD!!

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 am

Wow! Sounds like the insurance companies got involved in setting game limits. The old kill em all attitude?

BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:36 am

headgear wrote:Ouch, still even after the slaughter it can't be worse than zone 1. :lol: ;)

Truth! But we'll see! I'm shocked they tightened up the harvest up here. I assumed it would have been more Hunter's Choice/Managed areas, or, at least the same as last year. Last winter was hard, but I don't think it was terribly hard on the deer. They caught a break with the early snowmelt.

If we have an easy winter this year, Zone 1 may become the new "destination" hunt in MN for a change..... :lol: (which is really a sad deal, considering what Zone 3 was becoming).

Let's hope the majority in Zone 3 buck the DNR and show some restraint and not go kill crazy. But even then, if not "enough" deer get killed by hunters, the state will just take it in their own hands and hire sharpshooters to take out the rest.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:00 am

Ranger Matthews wrote:Wow! Sounds like the insurance companies got involved in setting game limits. The old kill em all attitude?

Sounds like WI in the early to late 2000’s. To this day many areas still haven’t recovered from that.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:32 am

BorealBushMN wrote:
headgear wrote:Ouch, still even after the slaughter it can't be worse than zone 1. :lol: ;)

Let's hope the majority in Zone 3 buck the DNR and show some restraint and not go kill crazy. But even then, if not "enough" deer get killed by hunters, the state will just take it in their own hands and hire sharpshooters to take out the rest.

Those areas designated as CWD zones are going to be bad for a long time. There were even special gun hunts last February that were open to the public. I never heard how many people actually went out, or if there were sharpshooters brought in after. It's clear, the DNR wants all deer dead in this area, I think they view that as their only CWD management tool
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 am

Dewey wrote:
Ranger Matthews wrote:Wow! Sounds like the insurance companies got involved in setting game limits. The old kill em all attitude?

Sounds like WI in the early to late 2000’s. To this day many areas still haven’t recovered from that.

Let me guess..... There's still CWD in those areas, too?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 am

BorealBushMN wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Let me guess..... There's still CWD in those areas, too?

Yep. They also claim the infection rate is higher too.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:23 am

I live along the Mississippi River and I can only shoot one deer total, but if I go across the river to the other side, I can shoot three bucks and unlimited does. Makes perfect sense.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:48 am

Jeff G wrote:It’s for youth between ages of 10-17

bcarey2 wrote:
fr0sty wrote:On a brighter note (imho) dog tracking wounded deer is allowed now.

I agree with you there!

Chunk81 wrote:And a youth statewide Firearms hunt right before the Rut Oct. 17-20. I get the youth thing but should be limited to private lands only. Won't be much left on the public.

Thankfully its only 3 days and restricted to youth ages 10-13 so that narrows down the amount of youth participating at least. I'm all for getting the kids out there and learning but unfortunately sometimes the parents/guardian/mentor that takes them out doesn't teach them the proper etiquette, woodsmanship, conservation state of mind, etc. that hunters should have and just tell the kids to start shooting at anything that moves or is brown, no matter if its running across the field in a dead sprint at 316 paces. Or the parents pulling some unethical stuff just so the kid gets "their" deer to boost their social status.

Yeah, I misread the regs just skimming through them. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”